Old 03-14-2015, 09:53 PM   #61

I'm late to this dance, but I'll share my experience and let the discussion continue. Only trailer tire failure I ever had was a Goodyear G614 on a 40' 5th wheel. Tread pealed completely off the tire, but it never lost air. The next 5th wheel was a 43' 5th wheel toy hauler with 3 axles and Goodyear Marathons, Load range E. The yellow sticker on that trailer was wrong from the factory (showed Load range G which came on the 2 axle version of the same trailer (not toy hauler). I called the factory to get the correct sticker and they sent me another wrong one! My take away is: do your own research, do the required maintenance, install a pressure monitoring system, slow down and enjoy the ride.

Old 03-15-2015, 08:59 AM   #62

The China tires served me well but the Goodyears will allow me to haul more weight. I installed a TST TPMS on both sets of tires, I check the air with a digital gauge at least once a week, so far no problem. I try to buy American when I can even if what I buy costs a little more, I check first where it's made at.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 04:11 PM   #63

i just drove an hr to check and see the brand name of my tires that came with the trailer.

they are merit all country st235/85/r16. from what i gather on the www they seem to hold up good. any info on these tires would be appreciated.

thanks
Old 03-29-2015, 09:00 PM   #64

I bet they are made in China

Old 03-29-2015, 09:21 PM   #65

Doesn't really matter if tires are made in China/ USA/ Mexico/ Romania. The tires are made to a specification or meet a ISO certification that has been requested by the Tire company. Everyone is looking for a deal, low price wins the day. You get what you pay for with tires same as buying Walmart Orange Juice or Minute Maid Orange Juice.
Old 03-29-2015, 09:30 PM   #66
Mod free 5er

Would definitely stick with a major brand like Goodyear, Maxxis, etc regardless of price.
Old 03-29-2015, 09:55 PM   #67

X2 on that

Old 03-30-2015, 08:26 AM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by B and B View Post
Doesn't really matter if tires are made in China/ USA/ Mexico/ Romania. The tires are made to a specification or meet a ISO certification that has been requested by the Tire company. Everyone is looking for a deal, low price wins the day. You get what you pay for with tires same as buying Walmart Orange Juice or Minute Maid Orange Juice.

That's not true but you do get what you pay for, well most of the time. I don't buy Walmart store brands, there are better places to shop at. I try to buy American when I can and I feel safe, so when these Goodyear tires wear out I will buy some more. The best thing you can do no matter what brand of tires you buy is first get a TPMS that you trust and check the air often, that way if the tires do fail then you will not do a lot of damage to your camper

Old 03-30-2015, 10:18 AM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
That's not true but you do get what you pay for, well most of the time. I don't buy Walmart store brands, there are better places to shop at. I try to buy American when I can and I feel safe, so when these Goodyear tires wear out I will buy some more. The best thing you can do no matter what brand of tires you buy is first get a TPMS that you trust and check the air often, that way if the tires do fail then you will not do a lot of damage to your camper

Not really I have never seen TPMS work correctly on any vehicle that I have owned. Most tire failures today are the catastrophic type which happens all at once. I have had several tire failures over the years of driving in the last 50 years and none ever ever been slow leaks.
I have had a catastrophic tire failure on my 318 SAB Cougar out west. I had just checked all my tires for proper air pressure and wheel torque before leaving the campground. I had just egress onto I80 at Kearney NB from a side road building up to the speed limit. When I heard a loud explosion LH front driverís side trailer tire exploded TPMS would not have caught this. Tire was new and had only 300 to 500 miles on it, made in China.
Another example I was driving my wifeís 2011 VW TDI and I ran over a nail. The tire went flat first; I did hear the tire losing air real fast. As I was pulling over to examine the situation the idiot light came on stating low air pressure.
Now my truck is only right about three months of the year when I am towing and the rear tires are set at 70 PSI the rest of the time the warning bell dings and the idiot light is on. The rear tires are at 45 to 50 PSI light load per the inflation tables for my Michelins.
Too many people rely on gadgets today and do not take the time to do proper maintenance and inspection of tires and other components. Thinking the gadgets will save them from themselves.
Old 03-30-2015, 02:06 PM   #70

My TST TPMS has not let me down yet, I rely on them. I check the tires once a week to make sure all is well with a digital gauge, some things will happen no matter what you do