Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-06-2015, 05:44 PM   #1

LT or ST

I'm looking at 4 new tires and was wondering if LT would work on my 34rlbs 5er.

is there anyone running LT and what are they saying

thanks
Old 02-06-2015, 05:47 PM   #2

Do a search many treads on this......

My tire dealer will not mount LT tires on trailer rims or on a trailer.....

Good Luck !!!

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 06:16 PM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I'm doing it.

I recently (before Christmas) removed the 4 ST tires on my 5er. I honestly wanted to run a little faster than 65mph, say 70 or 75. If I do 65mph, I'm causing traffic to have to shift around me constantly and I wanted to stay with the flow instead of being the slowest guy on the road. I also in the back of my mind had concern that the China Bombs would go any minute. I replaced my tires with Firestone Transforce HT's. I have 6K lb axles and each tire is over 3000lb rated. I also had the tires balanced. I have been camping twice since I replaced them and can notice a smoother ride, especially at the 65mph speed. I am happy with my decision on these tires and coupled with a TPMS, don't worry about it as much as I did. Good luck.
2016-(32) 2017-(13) 2018-(20) 2019-0
BombDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 07:37 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post
Do a search many treads on this......

My tire dealer will not mount LT tires on trailer rims or on a trailer.....

Good Luck !!!

I've done a search, just looking for fresh info. or updated info
Old 02-06-2015, 08:52 PM   #5

My last RV I put Michelin XPS RIB tires for LT. These are higher end than the MS version. Heavier than LT. Might want to check them out. They performed very well.

Tom & Marilyn
2013 Chevrolet Duramax 3500 HD LTZ Crew Cab Long Bed Z71 4X4
2015 Cedar Creek 38RD Hathaway Edition
ttanous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 07:40 AM   #6

Took my ST's off and mounted Goodyear LT's on....piece of mind!
cpaulsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 08:03 AM   #7
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by toslow View Post
I'm looking at 4 new tires and was wondering if LT would work on my 34rlbs 5er.

is there anyone running LT and what are they saying

thanks

Watch the weight capacities - I can't find an equivalent sized LT for my camper that has a high enough weight capacity. I'd have to go up in size and then I wouldn't have room between the tires.
Old 02-07-2015, 08:14 AM   #8

What I do not understand is why the real tire dealers (not the ones that will sell you anything & tell you everything is broken & needs repair) refuse to put LT tire on trailers???? Liability or safety reasons????

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Old 02-07-2015, 08:39 AM   #9

I am going to stick to ST since I can not put LTs on mine anyway, also as things are going will Insurance companies eventually say??...... Oh you have LTs it came with STs we are not covering the damage caused by the LTs when it blew even though you ran over a piece of steel..........

Tomorrow may change but I own 5 trailers 3 with tandem axles & trailers over 20 feet long have always used ST tires and have never had a blow out or flat on the road.

My 2 cents and my piece of mind,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Old 02-07-2015, 09:12 AM   #10
Always Learning

Quote:
What I do not understand is why the real tire dealers (not the ones that will sell you anything & tell you everything is broken & needs repair) refuse to put LT tire on trailers???? Liability or safety reasons????

Given this argument- I'm curious about the camper models that come with LTs from the factory - what would these tire dealers do?
Old 02-07-2015, 09:15 AM   #11
Always Learning

Quote:
I am going to stick to ST since I can not put LTs on mine anyway, also as things are going will Insurance companies eventually say??...... Oh you have LTs it came with STs we are not covering the damage caused by the LTs when it blew even though you ran over a piece of steel..........

I question this logic.

My in-laws car was stolen because he started it and ran inside to pee. You seemingly don't get much more negligent than that. No one batted an eye from the police to the insurance company.

Insurance is there for when people do stupid things. I'd bet that a majority of accidents are caused by someone doing something stupid, negligent, or even illegal. (Not saying that opting for LT tires over ST tires is or isn't.)
Old 02-07-2015, 09:30 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Given this argument- I'm curious about the camper models that come with LTs from the factory - what would these tire dealers do?

They might just be the ones who go by the placard. Back when I had my Mazda it came with summer tires instead of the all seasons that are normal around here. Come fall I tried to get some winter tires for it, but the local Goodyear dealer refused to sell me a set because they didn't match the placard on the door. I ended up ordering a compatible set from tirerack.

So, it is possible their dealer took a look at the trailer and said "Manufacturer says ST, you can only run ST." Kind of like the same thing we got from Costco buying new tires for the minivan. "You've got X & Y vehicle, the computer says you get Z tires." No options to shop around. No looking for anything slightly better, they'd only sell her what the manufacturer installed.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Old 02-07-2015, 09:48 AM   #13
Oklahoma Proud

Op. As long as the tire is rated for the weighs that you need, you should be fine.
I have some Lt tires on one of my trailers and the other 3 will get them when the time comes. I've thrown so many treads and had seperated tires on properly aired up and not overloaded ST tires, so im done with them. (And most were less than 3 years old)

QUOTE=Kaadk;778535]They might just be the ones who go by the placard. Back when I had my Mazda it came with summer tires instead of the all seasons that are normal around here. Come fall I tried to get some winter tires for it, but the local Goodyear dealer refused to sell me a set because they didn't match the placard on the door. I ended up ordering a compatible set from tirerack.

So, it is possible their dealer took a look at the trailer and said "Manufacturer says ST, you can only run ST." Kind of like the same thing we got from Costco buying new tires for the minivan. "You've got X & Y vehicle, the computer says you get Z tires." No options to shop around. No looking for anything slightly better, they'd only sell her what the manufacturer installed.
Sent from my iPad using Forest
River Forums[/QUOTE]

Thats crazy, and down right rediculous of them!
Id never be able to run my mud tires or my aftermarket wheels if this was the case here.
I have 3 out of my 5 vehicles with oversize wheels and tires.
Heck even the dealerships I've worked at sold new trucks with oversize tire/wheel packages.
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 10:38 AM   #14

Send a message via AIM to B and B
A couple very good points here. I as well as ependydad could not find suitable LT tires. I used ST GY Marathons. The important thing is balancing. If you are going to use TMPS get metal valve stems and balance them with the sensors on the wheel. This way everything is in balance.
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 10:40 AM   #15

Quote:
I really do not know but maybe it has more to do with the rims??? Just a thought. Never asked that question usually I am buying tires or dealing with what I own. Just put a set on my box trailer same response.

All I can answer to is I have been told since I have STs that is all they would put back another frog member that posts here alot ran into this also in his area just east of here at different dealers.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Old 02-07-2015, 10:49 AM   #16

Quote:
I question this logic.

My in-laws car was stolen because he started it and ran inside to pee. You seemingly don't get much more negligent than that. No one batted an eye from the police to the insurance company.

Insurance is there for when people do stupid things. I'd bet that a majority of accidents are caused by someone doing something stupid, negligent, or even illegal. (Not saying that opting for LT tires over ST tires is or isn't.)
I question any insurance companies logic, A sixteen year old girl on her Mothers policy ran a stop sign & my son hit her ( no injuries ) Her company back cancelled her mother so she became an uninsured motorist (She only had the policy a few months and a previous accident). We found out the insurance company was on nobody's side but their own. Meaning our policy had to pick up the tab........... Found out this is perfectly legal in Virginia.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Old 02-07-2015, 11:05 PM   #17

Quote:
I question any insurance companies logic, A sixteen year old girl on her Mothers policy ran a stop sign & my son hit her ( no injuries ) Her company back cancelled her mother so she became an uninsured motorist (She only had the policy a few months and a previous accident). We found out the insurance company was on nobody's side but their own. Meaning our policy had to pick up the tab........... Found out this is perfectly legal in Virginia.

That is bs right there, my father always told me insurance companies had a license to steal. I truly hope there is more to the story

Sent from my SM-N910V
mustardbucket107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 11:21 PM   #18
Oklahoma Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustardbucket107 View Post
That is bs right there, my father always told me insurance companies had a license to steal. I truly hope there is more to the story

Sent from my SM-N910V
Could be more to it, who knows.
About 7 years ago, My little brother borrowed my wifes truck for a few weeks since he had just sold his truck and was searching for another.
Well he got in a wreck on our insurance. We got payed for repairs and i told him to put his insurance on it (we have same provider). Not 2 weeks later, he wrecked it again, and this time it totaled.
Ever since he has been an "excluded driver" on our policy. Anyone else in the world could borrow one of our cars and be covered. ....except him. And it says it in every single one of our insurance verification papers.
He borrow another one of our cars last week when his truck was in the shop, but he had to transfer insurance to it before it left my drive!
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 09:00 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustardbucket107 View Post

Sent from my SM-N910V

If there was I do not know it. I was curious so I called the state Insurance Commission and asked the general question and the answer I was given was yes it was perfectly legal & fairly common, but the company had to pay back to the beginning of the policy. So if you had the policy 20 years it was not likely. Also was told no reason was needed. I think our company was wanting to go after the driver but she was 16 and her mother was single (doubt they had anything to go after).

I guess not good to switch companies often........

Another case my friend was cancelled by a company he had for 24 years after his 16-18 year old daughter had 2 not at fault accidents. A truck tapped her rear minor damage (It was icy) & she hit a motorcycle that was going the other way, who (the bike) rear ended a stopped car. After hitting the stopped car the bike flipped into her lane (he went over the car he hit). But my friends insurance would take his daughter on a new policy just not him......... I guess checking coverage & the cute bum bum bum jingle is needed for that company now

Both were a few years ago but it always seems like a fight for your coverage always is needed......... they hate to pay out.......

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Old 02-08-2015, 09:42 AM   #20

Quote:
I really do not know but maybe it has more to do with the rims??? Just a thought. Never asked that question usually I am buying tires or dealing with what I own. Just put a set on my box trailer same response.

All I can answer to is I have been told since I have STs that is all they would put back another frog member that posts here alot ran into this also in his area just east of here at different dealers.

I think it has something to do with the rims, my tire guy told me if I wanted to put on LT tires then I would have to change rims. Something about the ST rims not working with the LT tires. But that I don't have to worry about that no more, the new camper came with Goodyear G 614

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote