Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-25-2016, 08:42 PM   #1
Global Nomad

Microwave exhaust fan

I am spending my first week in my 2016 36ckts. I seem to be having fan issues. When I turn on the microwave exhaust fan, most of the air blows into the kitchen rather than outside. I asked the dealer tech about this, and he told me that I have to open the outside vent, which is high up on the unit. I got a ladder to reach the vent, but it does not appear to have a mechanism to open any further. In looking in the microwave manual, it only references that the installer should make sure the vent flap moves freely. To me this means the outside vent does not open, but there is a flap that should open automatically in the unit. Can others with the Whirlpool microwave in the 36ckts tell me how their fan operates? Thank you.
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS (Center Kitchen Three Slides)

Scheinin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 08:52 PM   #2

It is a flap pinned at the top on each side. Should be some tabs on bottom you pivot to fee the bottom. Exhaust air then blows it outward.
'15 (6) : '16 (32) : '17 (41) : '18 (35) : '19 (38) : '20 (15) : '21 (15) :
Sebourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 09:08 PM   #3

Flap

Here is a picture of mine which came broken. Notice pin on left but missing on right. When I released the retainers on the bottom, flap just fell out. As it turned out, flap and the outside shroud are all together and entire assembly had to be replaced. I understood though it wasn't too big of a deal to do.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1616.JPG
Views:	177
Size:	120.4 KB
ID:	100415  
Old 02-25-2016, 09:38 PM   #4

My flap was stuck but even when the flap was open the exhaust still came inside. If that's the case you have to drop your microwave and turn the blower around, it's simple. I have a 32RL Cedar Creek

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 10:08 AM   #5

The flap is pretty stiff to unlatch, you just have to get serious with it. Once I unlatched mine ... due to having to stand on a ladder to reach it ... it stays unlatched. If you don't unlatch it ... there is nowhere for the blower to exhaust the air.
Sebourn ... you can bow the flap itself and install a new one in the pivot holes without replacing the entire assy.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 04:06 PM   #6

Hello Deiselguy, might be it can be bowed enough but my dealer brought one to me and tried to bow it and broke a pin just like the other one. They fixed it when I took TT in to winterize. I asked how hard it had been and was told they broke one more before replacing the whole assembly. I noticed it flexed easily but the shroud outside just gets very narrow and plastic pins do not take much to break off.
Old 02-26-2016, 04:41 PM   #7

You have to stand on your left foot only and place your tounge inside your right cheek. I agree, it is a challenge. I heated up the flap slightly with a heat gun first.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 04:44 PM   #8
Site Team

If you are replacing it in cool/cold weather, soak it in very warm water for a few minutes before installing.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 01:41 PM   #9

The vent will open but is a real PIA.

Yep mine just stays open.
Old 02-27-2016, 04:07 PM   #10

On mine I would have to carry around a step ladder to get it open and closed, needless to say it stays open

Old 02-27-2016, 08:03 PM   #11

We've had several discussions about the goofy kitchen range hood flapper. When you get fed up with the hassle think about replacing it with a Sam-1 Range Hood Upgrade. Then you can open / close the vent from inside the camper. And its' squirrel cage design is both quiet & effecient, compared to the three blade plastic rattling fan.

He who dies with the most tools, wins!
SilhouettePenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 08:52 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scheinin View Post
I am spending my first week in my 2016 36ckts. I seem to be having fan issues. When I turn on the microwave exhaust fan, most of the air blows into the kitchen rather than outside. I asked the dealer tech about this, and he told me that I have to open the outside vent, which is high up on the unit. I got a ladder to reach the vent, but it does not appear to have a mechanism to open any further. In looking in the microwave manual, it only references that the installer should make sure the vent flap moves freely. To me this means the outside vent does not open, but there is a flap that should open automatically in the unit. Can others with the Whirlpool microwave in the 36ckts tell me how their fan operates? Thank you.
I think I can offer some advice on the subject. First microwaves usually are furnished with a "baffle" that is adjusted before its lifted into position. Most all units have it because in "Position A" it's set to recirc the vent air through a washable filter and back to the room. In "Position B" all air is directed through the back and upwards, connected to a duct and directed outside. This is for homes as well as RV's. Secondly I had a RV that had an additional flap or door within the vent hood. It used a sheet metal handle to remove a pin which locked the door closed. When slid out the handle would move to unlock a sheet metal flap to the outside. There another door with two latches locked a rectangular door on the outside as yours. That door would open at least 2" on a hinge setup. So you can see at least three blocks to the air flow. Best test, you should feed good air flow outside when its running. Leave removing the M/W to the dealer if it must be dropped to adjust the baffle. Its under warranty.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 09:38 PM   #13

When I dropped my microwave I did not see a baffle, what there was a fan that you can turn around and blow the air out the back though the vent. I checked one at Lowes and the air came out the front, I think all the microwaves are about the same. I have looked at different brands and at least the ones I looked at had a motor and fan at the back and if you wanted the air to come out the front or back was how the motor and fan was set. This is a above the range microwave.

Tags
fan