Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-09-2017, 08:39 AM   #1

Morning

Well guess I will be checking in here more now, Bruce & wife Cindy. We are not on our 3rd Cedar Creek our first was a 2002 CedarCreek 36RDQS, the second we ordered was a 2007 Cedar Creek 37 RLTS and I passed out coming back from wintering in south Texas and totaled that one and the truck.

So we lucked out and someone that lived near us her husband died of Cancer strange now I am fighting cancer. Anyway they had a 2011 CedarCreek 36RL Touring edition and a 2005 F350 Power Stroke we bought their rig guess three years ago now and it was in amazing shape.

The truck looked brand new only had 50,000 miles on it so I figured I could spend another $10,000 on it and still be ahead of the game verses buying a new one. Happy to say the truck is running super these past 3 years.

Anyway we love Cedar Creeks and have been lucky enough to have toured the USA three times now and Canada. We have been snowbirds since 2002 wintering in south Texas we live in central PA.

We have a yearly site at Raystown Lake and then spend winter in south Texas we were stuck here last winter as I came down with Acute ALL Leukemia and stick here this winter but sure hope to return to south Texas again next winter. Life's to short to spend it all in one place. I realize that now more than ever!
Medically Retired Marine Semper fi
Brucecav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 08:54 AM   #2

Quite a story hope your getting better and knocking that crap in the toilet. I like tour attitude to just keep picking yourself up, I also had that bad "C" word. Question, is that Raytown Lake the same place as on "Mamas Family" I watch the reruns all the time. Good luck to you. Stay in touch[emoji196][emoji966]

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 09:16 AM   #3

Quite a story indeed! Great setup for a replacement rig after such a tragic loss but seems you came out unharmed. Keep it going and good luck.
Nights Camped: 2017=61
Nights Camped: 2018=25
Nights Camped: 2019=12 | Booked=6
florabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 10:28 AM   #4

Raystown Lake is in Huntingdon PA they have excellent US Army Corps RV sites many right on the lake one does need reservations in the Spring, Summer and Fall though.

We stay at a private RV Park, the last 3 years I hold the American Veterans Appreciation Day there at the lake. AVAD.US
Old 11-11-2017, 11:32 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucec View Post
Raystown Lake is in Huntingdon PA they have excellent US Army Corps RV sites many right on the lake one does need reservations in the Spring, Summer and Fall though.

We stay at a private RV Park, the last 3 years I hold the American Veterans Appreciation Day there at the lake. AVAD.US
Thank you for your service and all that you do for the veterans. Hope you kick that cancer in the ass.
keith52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 12:07 AM   #6
Sunseeker 2400MBW

Happy Veterans Day! I have been a VA nurse for 37 years, a nurse for 41 years and going to retire Feb 2018. Cancer treatment has come a long long way, so much better now and with fewer side effects. And attitude makes a world of difference. God bless you and your wife.
Nancyc7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 07:58 AM   #7

Thank you all for your kind replies, Nancy my wife is a retired Nurse she worked on the heart floor for 30 years God Bless all our nurses you are all Angles.
I was already a 100% disabled veteran which means the VA is to provide all my health care. When I came down with Acute All Leukemia Phil Positive the exact type that is to be automatically considered service connected if you were exposed to the contaminated camp Lejeune drinking water and me also Agent Orange. The VA said they would not pay for my treatment as it was to expensive. Then later said they would pay for office visits but would not pay for visits before my stem cell transplant, after my stem cell transplant or my stem cell transplant. Now remember the doctor said I had three months to live without a stem cell transplant.
Well lucky for me my brother was an exact stem cell match and he donated his stem cells on Feb 22, 2017 I had the stem cell transplant only because I had private health insurance that said they would pay for my treatment. If not for that I would not be typing this now.
The VA finally said my Leukemia was service related after 5 months I would have been dead but they also said they would not pay for a stem cell transplant the only thing that could save me.
I have been working on trying to change the VAs long wait time and not paying for the cancer treatment many older Vietnam Veterans now need. There is a list of cancers that are to be automatically considered service connected the VA needs to expedite those claims of veterans that have these types of cancer not just let them die.
My cancer doctor is the head of the cancer institute at the Hershey Cancer Institute and he said not that many years ago there would have been no hope for me. I still have 15 more months of treatment if my body can take that. I did almost die twice now from my chemo pills they had to change the type I am getting as the Sprycel worked through my kidneys and they shut down almost killed me but I pulled through that this new one works through my liver. But I must get chemo injections into my spinal fluid as the new chemo pulls down not get to the brain as good as the other one did.
Anyway may God Bless everyone that is going through cancer treatments and may God Bless all the Doctors and Nurses that are saving some of us.
Keep on RVing do not put that trip off you never know is so true.
Semper fi
Old 11-17-2017, 12:02 PM   #8
Sunseeker 2400MBW

We do bone marrow transplants, have a beautiful unit dedicated to this. I work in the ER. An oncologist was seeing my patient and I asked about stem cells. She made this distressed face and said she didn't have time to discuss it right now. The University of Washington has a high class medical school and residency program, supplies residents and staff go back and forth, tons of research going on. I don't know why they wouldn't cover it since private insurance does? I am going to keep asking if I can, I didn't even know about that. I hope and pray your 15 months goes smoothly. Try to eat well, many cancer pts don't/can't eat enough.
Nancyc7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 01:03 PM   #9

Yes I was told eat or die, 99% of all food tastes the same Terrible like eating plastic or something.
Thank you for your service guess I probably said my was an RNC for 30 years she retired around 5 years ago I am very lucky to have a nurse through all this sure is a help even though she was on the heart floor all her years she knows a lot about everything.

Maybe it was because they new I had Blue Cross & Shield and new it would cover the stem cell treatment not sure. But the last letter the VA sent me had in highlighted red letters they would not pay for care leading up to a stem cell transplant, the stem cell transplant or care after a stem cell transplant.

I was very lucky to have Fed Blue Cross & Shield as they stepped up right away and said they would pay for my treatment and they have been doing so know it has been allot of money since it started and will be allot more.

I feel blessed to have a second chance at life it is a real shock when you are told you have 3 months to live my wife being a retired RN took it harder than I did when they said I had Acute ALL Leukemia Phil Positive guess she new I may die fast.

Anyway she better get her traveling shoes on as I plan to take another cross the USA trip when we can travel again hopefully after my two years of treatment are done guess that started on Feb 22, 2017 when I had my stem cell transplant and the nurses said that was my new birthday. GOD BLESS OUR NURSES you are all angles.
Old 11-17-2017, 05:34 PM   #10

US Army vet here: 1963 they 1966.
SSG. Sorry you are going through this. May the good Lord keep
Looking over and bestowing the blessing of life to you.
My brother; SFC, two Vietnam tours. He did not fare well. Alcoholism; dementia. Drug addict.
Estranged from family. ( his choice ). Died alone in a VA hospital. Sooooo sad!!
Vietnam Vets hold my highest regards. Step father was 20 year Army vet. Great uncle landed on Omaha Beach. Uncle was on a "tin can" about blown to hell in WWII.
Enjoy every trip in your RV. May you enjoy many more years of safe travels!
God bless America! [emoji631]
SilverbackMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 05:52 PM   #11

Brucec, I retire in 3 years and we are going to buy the ceder creek Hathaway edition, I just love the layout and prices RV Nation has on them in Ohio. Anyways good luck and kick that C's butt.

2013 Forest River Salem/Sport Fifth WHL
2017 GMC Sierra 2500 Duramax/Allison
Curt Q20 Fifth wheel, Champion Inverter3500
US Army Retired
Bikersarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 09:18 PM   #12

Hey Bruce glad you’re still around . I remembered that you started the first cedar creek forum way back when. I found this forum after checking in at old one and found it was pretty much abandoned.and my old user name didn’t work. Hope the treatments go by fast and every thing goes great. Traded my 2011 cedar creek 40 rl for a 2018 riverstone fb38 .
dgsearcy55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 09:52 PM   #13

Well closed the Cedar Creek RV Club that was founded in 2001 because I was told I had 3 months to live and could not get anyone to become the admin.
After getting a stem cell transplant and thought I may keep living after all I put it back online from scratch but everything was lost so I decided to close it permanently and just enjoy the RVlife when we can once again travel. I still stay in the RV lot's at Raystown Lake but winter is here and we can not leave PA this winter again still have 15 or 16 more months of cancer treatments left.

Glad someone remembers those years we had lots of fun rallies back then very good memories.

In away I was sort of responsible for this forum starting but that is another long story.

I just love the RVing life