Old 12-26-2014, 10:30 PM   #1

Moving over to a Silverback 29RE/ 31RK?

Hello folks,

There's a good chance I may being moving into a 14/15 29RE/31RK. I really like the layout on them both. Are there any common issues to look for on Silverbacks inparticular?

We maybe full timing it until we set another house up.

Both are pretty loaded up. The numbers are pretty close in length weight and price. The 31rk has air returns on the AC set up and the 29re is direct into the coach. Has anyone had any issues with the return vents? How's the noise and cool down. Both have 15 main and a 13.5 in the bedroom.

Thanks,

Salt

Lose the 2nd and the rest will follow.
Salt Shaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 09:41 AM   #2
Former Full Timer

The fully ducted main A/C is much quieter than the old style direct vent. It is due to the design that puts all of the mechanical noisemakers above the roof. The bedroom unit is still direct vent however it is connected to the ceiling ducts as well. Expect the standard noise level in the bdrm. The negatives for the fully ducted are:
Filters are a pain to clean and are mounted/constructed poorly.
The unit mounting bolts are accessible only after removal of the cover assembly on the roof.

Most folks I know run the bedroom A/C just before going to bed to cool it off then switch to main for the quiet while sleeping.

Enjoy your upgrade.

Elbert Hubbard
Duckogram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 11:23 AM   #3

Tires is probably the biggest concern. Forest River like nearly all manufacturers uses cheap junk ST tires. If your going to make a deal, include quality LT tires in the deal. You wont be sorry.
Old 12-27-2014, 11:53 PM   #4

I am with you on the tires. I was messing with the AC today in the 29RE. It spears it it common ducting from bedroom to living room. The unit just feels solid. Door fit and finish just appear well put together comparatively. We looked at trilogy, Columbus, sandpiper and rushmoor. I am really leaning to the silverback for price point quality and holding value.

Salt

Old 12-28-2014, 02:19 PM   #5

We have a 2014 Silverback purchased Nov 3013....Other than a few minor warranty issues we have had no problems getting service from our dealer/Forest River....Only one AC in main LRm..We had a max air vent installed in Bed Rm with remote...Much quieter than leaving Bathroom fan on at nights. J
Old 12-28-2014, 03:26 PM   #6

We have a 14 31RK like the layout. Some warranty issues with dealer.
Old 12-28-2014, 03:39 PM   #7

Silverback

We bought our first fifth wheel a 29rk Silverback in Dec 2013 and had a list of issues. (owner a class A for 15 years) Two factory tires blew this year and did a lot of damage. Replaced all 5 for safety. They did not fail from neglect and FR would not warrant. I would not take possession with cheap tires. We toured the factory and got parts as we were traveling in Indiana. The folks at the factory are really nice to work with and take pride in what they do even though FR could improve on quality inspections. The RK is a nice floor plan but everything in the back end gets a real rough ride. all the shelves in the frig ($40 ea) and 3 pantry shelves broke from canned and refrig goods bouncing. I tow with a 2011 F250 diesel and air bags are a must in my opinion. It took me a few tries to get the best pressure and then the ride really improved and towing stability. I recommend spending time before taking possession and check out all mechanical and electrical systems -- safe wiring - switch locations-- correct circuit breaker identification. With some personalizing and common sense changes we are happy with our Silverback.
Old 12-28-2014, 03:43 PM   #8

We just pulled the 31 to Texas. about 1400 miles no broken shelves or frig. No tire problems even with the cheap ones.
Old 12-28-2014, 04:02 PM   #9

Silverback

I wish you luck Silverback Iowan. I was towing blissfully for almost a year and a half (about 8k miles) and with no warning-- no road hazard-- no storage abuse--no inflation neglect-- no direct sunshine storage-- no excessive speed ----no axle problems- proper brake setting and BOOOOM one tire went on one side on one axle. 100 miles later BOOOOOM other side different axle. Each side had the wheel well trim ripped off and sheetmetal skirt torn. It made me a believer in what you read on a lot of the forums about low quality tire issues. I drive blissfully now with good tires.
Old 12-29-2014, 07:10 AM   #10

Aside from tire issues, if you were repurchasing would you go withanother Silverback?