Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-09-2015, 11:11 AM   #1

Moving up from a Salem LE Sport

We're looking at upgrading to a more FT trailer, and the CC looks like a good value; floorplans are the 38FB2 and 38RD. Understanding that nearly all trailers out there will have issues, regardless of cost, and that I will not be buying a New Horizons level of fiver, this looks like the best compormise. There is an 05 near me at an independant " we sell everything" type of lot, and this was my first glimpse at one (not really sure which model, and I'm sure neither does he); it has the fridge near the entry door and is a RL floorplan. While dated inside (definetly can date the trailer by the ugly fabrics and light oak cabinets and trim) it's still very clean and well cared for. The outside, though, it what's really striking; it's a dark gray finish, and I couldn't believe it's 10 years old (very modern, even by today's standards). Overall, I am impressed enough to consider a new one (price is very good on the used, but can't swing it right now, plus it's the wrong floor plan for my family).

Coming out of a FR product, I see some minor issues with cheap materials; cabinet base rot, laminate "wood' panels pealing, laminate floor peeling in places, thread bare fabrics and carpet. However, the cabinet doors are still solid, unlike that $200,000 Palazzo I just looked at where 2 doors fell off when I opened the cabinets. It's dated and worn, but still serviceable, And, considering that it was not well taken care of its first 5 years (used by hippies as a beach apartment for a time) it's still remarkably decent.

I also looked at the SB, but they don't have the floorplan I want; we also want the higher end options (dish washer, for one) since this will be our last major purchase before retirement. Also don't need an MDT to pull it.

So, am I on the right track?
norfl1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 11:44 AM   #2

Just checked a local dealer's site; there's a series of charges for "Class A CDL License Fee, Freight, Fuel Surcharge and Temporary Professional Driver Procurement Surcharge" totalling $1812. I haven't purchased a new RV before, but that sounds like padding to me, as no other dealer I've visited in person has ever shown me those charges on their forms. Sound's like they're passing along the cost of doing business to the customer, or is this standard practice?
Old 01-09-2015, 03:05 PM   #3

Our Freight fee was going to be $2000.00 - This is for a Cedar Creek 38FL at a dealer, but we then purchased it at an RV show and the freight fee was waved .
2017 Days Planned: 135

38FLCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 09:20 PM   #4

I can't find too many dealers near me who sell the CC anymore, so I'll have to travel just to see a new one; however, there are enough dealers within driving distance for them to think they'll get that from me. I'll look for used first.
Old 01-10-2015, 05:15 AM   #5

I think you are headed on the right track, we have a 2010 Cedar Creek that has done very well for us but we do tend to be anal on care for it. If the unit is cared for and little things taken care of before they turn into large things all is well. Where are you located as folks here can guide you to a dealer that is helpful even if you need to travel a bit, our dealer is only a little over a hour away but we feel well worth the drive for us. Good luck on your search and ask all the questions you want.
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 10:49 AM   #6

Found a local CC dealer yesterday by mere chance; they have both CC and Silverback in stock. I like the floorplans on both, and the Silver looks as nice as the CC. However, the CC has unique floorplans the Silver does not, and vice/versa; the main plan I like in the CC is the 38CK and FB2. However, you can only get a bunk with the Silver, so I'm torn. Prices were pretty good, also.

Little things like the dishwasher, wood look lamintate and interior trim and finishes really make it feel higher end than the price would indicate. Plus, I haven't seen too many out there in use; see a whole lot more Keystone than either CC or Silver.

Tags
salem, sport