Old 02-18-2016, 10:58 AM   #21

Hey Uncle Monkey, I see you work for Cal Fire. I have worked for Flagler County Fire Rescue, Local 4337, for 26 years, although we have only been organized for about 10 years. I was Charter VP and remained in the position for about 8 years when I decided it was time not run again. It's nice to see another Brother here. I know there are others here and you will come across the as you get more involved.

Old 02-18-2016, 12:50 PM   #22
Site Team

I can only blame my dog for causing me to get locked out of my vehicle one time. And it was before we even brought her home for the first time.

My wife and I stopped at the humane society "just to look". Went inside, fell in love and decided to get our kids and our other dog and bring them back so they could meet and see how things went. So we run home, pile everyone in and head back.

When we get there, in the midst of getting everyone out of the car, I must have thrown my keys on the center console. I remember realizing it just as I shut the door. My wife says I was too excited to go back inside to see the dog again.

Long story short, we had a tow truck guy come and unlock our car, we brought the dog home and she's been part of our family ever since.

Old 02-18-2016, 07:33 PM   #23

wow glad you had a extra key, i changed mine to the push button type, to get away from factory keys (to many of the same keys out there) Happy Camping
silverback 35ts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 08:03 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by camper1999 View Post
One morning we were preparing to pack up the trailer and left our dog inside while we did some prep outside. We left the trailer keys on the kitchen counter. Just as I was going to open the trailer door she jump on the door hitting the internal lock and locked us out. As I was beginning to stress how to get in the trailer I remember I hid a spare key when we first bought the trailer. Never thought I would use it. I just thought I would share this weird incident, makes me think of other backup plans.
I ALWAYS keep my trailer and truck keys on separate key chains. The trailer keys are on a carabiner type clip that I ALWAYS clip on my belt loop when leaving the "tent on wheels" Plus Mrs. Ornery has duplicate set on said carabiner type clip. They are easy to clip on and off and you always know where they are.
BTW, we don't have a dog that can lock us out!
Not a bad idea though to put an extra entrance key somewhere out side, maybe in the water heater compartment? Or under the frame?
2016 F-250
2016 26VFKS
Old 02-19-2016, 09:45 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islander View Post
My wife has labeled me 'anal' when it comes to "keys".
I have spare keys for the 'spare keys'.

Wouldn't you know that I have not had the chance to call upon them
for the causes as listed above....and we do have a dog.

But.... I'm ready

Islander
I am with ya Islander,,, spare keys for the spare keys !!!
When we had our TT I keep a spare set of TT keys in the truck,,,
a spar truck key that would open the doors in my wallet & one hide in the back of the truck !!!
Now that we have a Sunseeker & a Lhasa Apso,,, that we some times leave alone for short periods,,, I used SNUS cans to cover the controls on the arm rests,,, so she can NOT UNLOCK the doors !!!
Old 02-19-2016, 09:53 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delco Bobby View Post
I have been to several places that make keys and none can make an ignition/door key for my Chevy 4500 Express Van chassis. I am trying to avoid going to a Chevy dealer figuring the cost will be astronomical.
Our Home Depot has a pretty good selection of key blanks !!!

Years ago I had a spare key made for my F-150,,, it would not start the truck,,, but it would unlock the door !!!
About $100 less than a Ford key !!!
Old 02-19-2016, 11:50 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine 1945 View Post
Our Home Depot has a pretty good selection of key blanks !!!

Years ago I had a spare key made for my F-150,,, it would not start the truck,,, but it would unlock the door !!!
About $100 less than a Ford key !!!
will try Home Depot today. Ace Hardware failed, didn't have the correct blank.

Formerly a 2013 Sunseeker 2250 SLEC.
Delco Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 11:58 AM   #28

And I suppose your dog used to eat your homework, too!
Master Blaster of the Navy
BigTJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 06:35 AM   #29

GET A CAT!! 👍 Cheaper. Never, ever, locked out.

Ez now! 😁

Just kidding! Had a German Shepard, highly trained, for 11 of the best years of our 49 yrs of marriage. That dog would eat you if we so commanded, but NEVER, ever, even growled at ANY CHILD. She has been down over 20 years and we talk about her EVERY DAY! We have a Downs son and she was constantly by his side, everywhere, every day!

Have a 16 lb Maine Coon cat now. Her daddy weighed 24 pounds. Now, SHE WILL EAT YOU without asking! 😄
Old 02-20-2016, 08:31 AM   #30

Do not know much about Cats,,, but know I know what A Main Coon is,,,
after I Goggled it !!! Interesting,,, only American Cat !!!