Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-02-2013, 02:03 PM   #1

My first RV fireplace

Hi All,

The Dimplex in my new 38FL doesn't seem to throw off much heat and the fan only runs at one speed. Are the wires in front of the fan the heating coils? And are they supposed to glow like in a portable heater? My remote only has on and off buttons. I have the thermostat thumbwheel turned all the way up. The ambience of the flames is nice, but I was expecting more heat.

Any help is greatly appreciated,
Don
dmdrj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 02:22 PM   #2

hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmdrj5 View Post
Hi All,

The Dimplex in my new 38FL doesn't seem to throw off much heat and the fan only runs at one speed. Are the wires in front of the fan the heating coils? And are they supposed to glow like in a portable heater? My remote only has on and off buttons. I have the thermostat thumbwheel turned all the way up. The ambience of the flames is nice, but I was expecting more heat.

Any help is greatly appreciated,
Don
Hi Don,

Don't know if I can be of much help but, we lived in California for 55 years then moved to New Mexico where winter is really cold, well, a lot colder than California We have 3 electric fireplaces in the house (we have yet to get a Motor home and it will have a fireplace electric) One is a Dimplex and it puts out a fair amount of heat but, the one we bought from costco a Classic Flame model is wonderful heats the entire master bedroom in fact we can't leave it on at night because it gets too hot.

Then the Mrs said it had stopped working I panicked! I blew it out with compressed air and it started working again wonderfully I think it was full of dust. Anyway I started checking the Internet and they have replacement infared heating elements and they look like they would fit ant fireplace. Check with Dimplex I found my replacement at Electric Fireplace parts.

Good luck and we really love our Electric Fireplaces and I'm sure they would be good in a Motor Home!

Larry,
April is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 03:44 PM   #3

We probably have the same model... The remote is pretty much just an off/on switch based on the settings on the switches (On setting II it turns on/off with the remote).

It is a 1500 watt element with a slow (=low noise) fan. I agree doesn't seem to move much heat, but it only took about an 2 hours to bring the rig up from 18 deg F to 40 deg F (atleast the front half) to make it comfortable to do some work.
2017 Days Planned: 135

38FLCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 06:16 PM   #4

Nice campsite, better looking future homesite . Our fireplace throws out quite abit of warm air. Really takes the chill out in the spring and fall.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 07:27 PM   #5

Just returned from our break in trip to Elk Neck State Park and the heater did throw out more heat when hooked to a 50 amp circuit. Still not what I would consider great, but more than when on a 30 amp line.

Thanks for your thoughts,
Don
Old 04-03-2013, 07:37 PM   #6
Just Love to Camp

Mine Dimplex puts out plenty of heat. I have a model that doesn't have a remote though. I have two swtiches and two wheels.

1 switch lights it up cuts it on
2 swtich cuts heat on. You can run it just for looks
3 wheel speeds up or slows down the flames
4 wheel controls the heat.

Just a thought. Do you have a switch that you haven't found yet.

Ours will heat up the entire main cabin to 66 or so

2012 F450
Virginia
TheFordes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 07:50 PM   #7

How much cord are you using to plug the camper in?
Considering the 50 amp circuit seemed to provide more heat, I wonder if you aren't having a large voltage drop at the camper? Maybe try running everything as before, and check your voltage.
bakken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 07:59 PM   #8

I do not know what brand either of my electric fireplaces are but the one in our den does a poor job of heating. Very much like your description. While the one in the camper is a heating beast. We have been running the fireplace to keep the camper above freezing since we de-winterized. We have had some nasty cold snaps were the temps have dropped into the low twenties at night and only reached low thirties during the day. The fireplace has kept the camper in the upper fifties on the coldest night. When we are camping, with the furnace fired up and helping, it keeps the main living area nice and toasty.
Old 04-03-2013, 09:10 PM   #9
Full Timer

I think it feels like it's not if you put your hand in front of it so it seems that its not putting of much heat but after running for 20 minutes or so it warms the room up pretty good

Ford Western Hauler
2013 CC 36B4
life2short4nofun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 06:49 AM   #10

Before my trip, I stopped by the rv dealer and had him run a fireplace there for me. He was hooked up to 30 amp power as well and there was hardly any heat at that level.

I guess I'll rely on it more for the ambience since I always use ceramic heaters to spare the lp gas anyway.