Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-22-2018, 06:51 PM   #1

Need advice

My original cap on my Cedar Creek faded after 11 months, it was replaced under warranty. Now that cap has faded. Do you think the factory will replace this one
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 06:52 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
My original cap on my Cedar Creek faded after 11 months, it was replaced under warranty. Now that cap has faded. Do you think the factory will replace this one
It doesn't matter what we think. Email Denise and ask the question. Let us know what she says. They are painting ALL the new replacements. Was your replacement painted???

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 07:16 PM   #3

Spock, sorry to hear that... How long ago was it replaced? For what it's worth, I had mine painted last winter instead of replaced... So far so good... Knock on wood... Please share what happens next.
birdman77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 07:47 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post
It doesn't matter what we think. Email Denise and ask the question. Let us know what she says. They are painting ALL the new replacements. Was your replacement painted???

My first replacement wasn’t painted, just a cap off the line. I’ll email Denise tomorrow.
Old 08-22-2018, 09:37 PM   #5

Weren’t you at Orvin this past April? I think we were both on there the same time (23rd-24th of April). We had the front cap replaced on ours (Silverback, so low class unit according to some on here because we don’t have a rear cap. Lol)

Anyway, I digress. I specifically asked Orvin what was different about the new cap he was putting on and he said it was painted plus 2 coats of clear coat.

Orvan explained how he saw the first faded cap come into the factory when he still worked there. He said they have a top notch gel coat guy and he just polished it up to make it look good. Orvan asked him if that would fix the issue or was it just a band aid. The gel coat guy, just a band aid. The original cap was just a gel coat and polished.

I’m assuming he got our new one off the line and the factory was now using those instead of gel coat version. Sure has cost them a lot and I just can’t see them replacing your original with the same gel coat model.

Mine was painted and sitting at the door when I got there. No decals, Orvin’s crew put those on also.

I’m curious to see what Denise has to say. She and others at the factory have done an excellent job for us. I hope ours does not start fading..

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 08:02 AM   #6

The front cap was replaced in 2017 and the rear cap this April. Another cap was pulled off the line and installed on my Cedar Creek. My camper was built in 2014, I would be very very surprised if the factory replaces the front cap again. I brought the camper new in 2015 at Tom Johnson now Camping World. I just got a email from Denise asking for the vin number. I’ll keep it posted on here
Old 08-27-2018, 03:07 PM   #7

I sent Denise a email on Thursday and she wanted my name and vin number. I sent that plus a picture of the vin number. How much time should I wait until I send another email
Old 08-27-2018, 03:16 PM   #8

It’s going to cost me a thousand dollars to make the trip. Tomorrow I’m taking the camper to get a estimate on the cost for the damage I did to camper coming home. Picked something up on the road and tore a hole in fiberglass up under the front. I’ll ask for a estimate on painting the front cap.
Old 08-28-2018, 10:48 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
It’s going to cost me a thousand dollars to make the trip. Tomorrow I’m taking the camper to get a estimate on the cost for the damage I did to camper coming home. Picked something up on the road and tore a hole in fiberglass up under the front. I’ll ask for a estimate on painting the front cap.
That is what I would do, have it painted. The real key to this is the clear coat! same as a car, the more clear coat, the longer the color will stay!
Crew/6.5 Bed
Pullrite Superglide
Duramax/Allison
Busybeavers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 11:05 AM   #10

$2,000 bucks to get the cap painted. Also just got a estimate on fixing the break in the fiberglass, the person said there is nothing behind the fiberglass. The whole piece will have to be replaced. I can’t imagine what the shipping cost will be. Maybe I’ll call Amish Family RV
Old 08-28-2018, 11:32 AM   #11

Surprise surprise just got a call from Cedar Creek and they will pay to have the cap repainted locally. I said I had just got a estimate like for $2,000 bucks and the lady said that sounds about right. I’ll send her the estimate, I don’t really believe the company will pay that much. But we will see. I’ll post it when I find out anything more
Old 08-28-2018, 11:36 AM   #12

And you want to leave that kind of service and go to another brand???????

FROG AR-0019-242
Old 08-28-2018, 11:50 AM   #13

Actually this Cedar Creek is the best camper I have ever had.
Old 08-28-2018, 11:54 AM   #14

Yet you've been saying you want another one and it won't be a CC.

I don't care what you get, obviously. But man, you've been treated great by CC.

FROG AR-0019-242
Old 08-28-2018, 04:51 PM   #15

I still don’t believe that Cedar Creek will pay someone else to paint the front cap. But time will tell. Cedar Creek has treated me great no matter what.
Old 08-28-2018, 05:03 PM   #16
(Dry Huunday)

Great customer service can make up for a lot of other issues! Hope all goes well with the repair and repaint!

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
DreiHunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 08:09 AM   #17

I took my Cedar Creek to Orvan in April of this year and I was having him fix some things for me, I figured that the parts and labor was going to cost me $2500 dollars and I took with me enough cash to cover it. Cedar Creek was replacing the rear cap under warranty, I had the Cedar Creek for more than three years. I got surprised when I picked up the camper and was told Cedar Creek covered the bill. I couldn’t believe it, I thought someone had made a mistake. I found out there was no mistake but I went by Denise office and told her how much I appreciated what she and Cedar Creek had did for me. I was at the factory a couple years ago getting the front cap replaced and the factory sold me a TrailAir hitch installed for $425. I bet my insurance company will not be that nice when they see what it’s going to cost to get the camper fixed.

Sometimes we see other models of campers and trucks that we want but when I set down and think about it I change my mind. I’m keeping my truck for at least another 150,000 miles and camper too. I’m 73 and I don’t want more payments. It will cost me a thousand dollars to go to the factory so whatever Cedar Creek pays I can add that to it.
Old 08-29-2018, 09:58 PM   #18

I’m calling Amish Family RV tomorrow and talk to Orvan. The shop that I took the camper to for the estimate wants to replace the fiberglass with sheet metal, no way that’s happening
Old 08-29-2018, 10:15 PM   #19

Wow, that’s real customer service, CC was been totally great. I really believe that Denise is a major contributor to that service. She is fantastic!
Crew/6.5 Bed
Pullrite Superglide
Duramax/Allison
Busybeavers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 07:11 AM   #20

I thought I got confused because I was getting a estimate for three things. I saw the sheet metal and later I realized that was the j wrap, I spilled battery acid on the j wrap and left spots. That estimate was five hundred dollars. To paint the front cap was $2,065. The part that I damaged he wanted to replace with sheet metal plus another compartment door, $2308. I’m telling him today that I thought we were talking about replacing the fiberglass with fiberglass. There is no way I’m allowing sheet metal to be installed there. I’m thinking of taking the Cedar Creek back to Topeka and let Orvan do the repair. The repair has not got to be done today, I can tape up the hole and still use the camper with no problem