Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-10-2013, 08:53 AM   #1
Lippend

Need Generator

We have a 2008 Cedar Creek, 34STAT, and will be attending Airventure 2013 in Oshkosh, WI in July. There will not be hook-ups available, so I'm in the market for a generator that can handle th A/C and refridgerator.

Thinking that one should be installed permanetly in camper, preferrably diesel powered.

Can anyone provide some info about this ?

Thanks
lippend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:41 AM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by lippend View Post
We have a 2008 Cedar Creek, 34STAT, and will be attending Airventure 2013 in Oshkosh, WI in July. There will not be hook-ups available, so I'm in the market for a generator that can handle th A/C and refridgerator.

Thinking that one should be installed permanetly in camper, preferrably diesel powered.

Can anyone provide some info about this ?

Thanks
I would stay away from permanently mounting a generator in your camper.
Noise
Vibration
Fire
Noise
Plumbing of exhaust
Refuels
Noise

Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:01 AM   #3

Fully agree with turbs regarding this. MH can stand permanent housing of a gen but for TT and 5th wheel better don't do it.
Flying dutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:11 AM   #4
daydreaming about camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
I would stay away from permanently mounting a generator in your camper.
Noise
Vibration
Fire
Noise
Plumbing of exhaust
Refuels
Noise

Turbs
even though it seems counter-intuitive, I would take Turbs advise. I too would have though permanent mount, but his advise above is good. unless your unit was originally designed to house a genset, then a bad idea to mount one.

I have seen Herk's pictures of his mounted to front of his truck on a front receiver basket. probably best mounting option for size you need for what you indicted, which is 15K watt. those are big gensets.

this would run everything:
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...9673_200369673

2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 320BHDS pulled by a 2005 F250 King Ranch CC

A rainy day camping is better than a sunny day at work.
jeeplj8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:25 AM   #5
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I use a 7300 watt surge to 8000.
It does all I need plus I installed a fan delay on a/c so as the compresser kicks on and gets up to speed then the fan kicks in.
Its less of an initial load on genny.

Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 12:55 PM   #6
Plain Old Member

When we had a fifth wheel or trailer, we mostly used a set of Honda 2000's, run parallel with a piggy back tank. No problems running AC, fridge and maybe something else if careful. 4000 watts is plenty, as that's what is in the Forester MH. We made the piggy back tank set up for cheap based on the one you can buy. Could run way longer than you need with those. I always prefer the Honda's, but have run other brands with success. Can't answer on the diesel part. Never had a problem with the gas ones.
2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 04:54 PM   #7
Lippend

Thanks for all of the advice, y'all have helped me make up my mind....nothing permanent!
Now my next issue is where to carry the genset. My GMC duallie has a tool box in the back and I'm not sure I can fit
the genset in there. Measureing time!

Thanks again.
lippend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 05:09 PM   #8
Plain Old Member

I know everybody's got their own opinion, but the fifth wheel is just as well suited for an installed generator, provided it is done correctly, and by someone who knows what they're doing. There is a place near me that has done several, including the on board fuel tank. Very professionally done. Onan's are made for the abuse of travel, which is usually what would come in that unit if you specified when ordering. As for noise, not really. Nice hum in the class a and in our present class c. Was within 3' of the bed in the A. Makes me sleep better, but that's just me. There are no more hazards with the generator than with 14 gallons of propane on board, the almighty fridges that have caused fires and all the other flamables and electronics in the unit. If you're worried about exhaust, run a Genturi kit when parked. Key phrase, if it's done right, it's perfectly fine. All that said, we opted for what's in my previous post due to $$$. Just food for thought.
Old 01-10-2013, 05:21 PM   #9
Full Timer

I don't understand what your saying about the generator being in the unit,
I actually have a Cedar Creek and had mine generator prepped, then after seeing it being built went ahead and had them install the propane 5500 they offer. Are you sure yours isn't prepped for a generator, if not all the generator prep is they told me was the wiring in place and a carbon dioxide detector inside. I don't understand how you can say a MH can handle one but a TT and 5th wheel cant what the thinking on that?
I wanted a diesel one thats why I wasn't going to have the factory put there propane in but then after being at the factory I thought what the heck have them do it and I wont have to mess with it. I do regret that decision, I wish I would have went a head and installed a diesel one and also gotten a bigger one, 5500 wont run everything in my coach and I want one that can. I have none of those problems you list it is quite I can barely hear it inside the coach if its totally quite in there, and it doesn't smell or vibrate, I had a 12k diesel in my MH and have 2 friends that have them in there 5th wheels and the diesels don't stink and there quite also, the gas ones are the ones that stink, and alot of your things you list are with the cheap generators from Home Depots or Lowes

Ford Western Hauler
2013 CC 36B4
life2short4nofun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 05:35 PM   #10
Plain Old Member

life2short4nofun, Love the rig. That's the same model we were looking at before buying our class A. We too were going to have it prepped when ordered, then have the people I mentioned earlier do the tank and generator install. The 7k I had in the Tiffin ran both AC's and everything else. Would've went with the 7k or larger in the fiver.
Old 01-10-2013, 05:57 PM   #11
Full Timer

Thanks I really love my rig, have looked at several others since and can't find anything close to as good or better without spending at least 4x the amount. I wanted the diesel generator also so I could have a small tank on board or hook up to my huge tank on my truck and run without worrying about fuel. I was going to get a used diesel one froim a MH, there are quiet a few at a good deal out of MH that had a fire from the refrigerator, but the generators are in good shape.

Ford Western Hauler
2013 CC 36B4
life2short4nofun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:04 PM   #12

Well Lippend, let us know how you make out. I'm very interested since have the same model. Btw, have you whacked your head on the cabinet over the sink a few times? I've lost count. Guess that sorta explains it...
1986 Marriage to "Wifey" (patience of a saint)
rattleNsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote