Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-07-2015, 05:07 PM   #1

Need help with 2011 29re

I need to buy a new shower surround and I just got home (29RE is parked at campground), and I didn't know you had to measure for the apron (pan size).
Can anyone measure the pan from the top of the rim to the lowest point on the inside of the pan? I'm sure it isn't much more than 5" but I could be wrong. They come in two sizes 5" and 9", I'd hate to buy the wrong one. I have a guy coming out next week to install it, I was hoping to order it and have it by then.
HeyJude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 07:17 PM   #2

This is mine in my 29RE.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1436314626.707341.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	82306

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
arpipeliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 08:15 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by arpipeliner View Post
This is mine in my 29RE.

Attachment 82306

You rock! Thank you so much!
Old 07-07-2015, 08:20 PM   #4

No problem. Had to replace mine so know that feeling.

Old 07-08-2015, 11:36 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude View Post
I need to buy a new shower surround and I just got home (29RE is parked at campground), and I didn't know you had to measure for the apron (pan size).
Can anyone measure the pan from the top of the rim to the lowest point on the inside of the pan? I'm sure it isn't much more than 5" but I could be wrong. They come in two sizes 5" and 9", I'd hate to buy the wrong one. I have a guy coming out next week to install it, I was hoping to order it and have it by then.
I also have a 29RE...Why did you have to replace the surround....cracked?...How???..J
Jim in Halifax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 11:43 AM   #6

I noticed my new (2016) re has no caulking around the top of the shower when my last unit did. Are all the units like this?
offduty11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 12:49 PM   #7

Humm, we too had to replace the shower surround, 2010 Silverback RE29. We dropped the rig at the dealer fall 2013 to make repairs cause by a tire that de-laminated. Trailmate was the brand (China Bomb). Picked it up spring 14, checked the repairs and left for the ocean. Upon arriving at the ocean discovered a crack between the screw hole on the pinchy clip that holds the shower head and the top of the shower wall. Caulked it and taped it to get through last year, fixed it this year for almost $800.
Frankly, I thought the pinchy clip was Mickey Mouse solution. The white screw that held the clip rusted. Not a quality solution.
BeachLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 02:08 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in Halifax View Post
I also have a 29RE...Why did you have to replace the surround....cracked?...How???..J
It was already cracked when I bought it. Previous owner said it cracked during the winter cold, I believe him, seems like it happens quite often. I'm buying the surround myself and have a guy that is going to install it for $100 dollars. My husband could probably do it himself, but hurt his back this year and hasn't been able to do much.
Old 07-08-2015, 02:09 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachLady View Post
Humm, we too had to replace the shower surround, 2010 Silverback RE29. We dropped the rig at the dealer fall 2013 to make repairs cause by a tire that de-laminated. Trailmate was the brand (China Bomb). Picked it up spring 14, checked the repairs and left for the ocean. Upon arriving at the ocean discovered a crack between the screw hole on the pinchy clip that holds the shower head and the top of the shower wall. Caulked it and taped it to get through last year, fixed it this year for almost $800.
Frankly, I thought the pinchy clip was Mickey Mouse solution. The white screw that held the clip rusted. Not a quality solution.
Repair guy that is doing the install says the guys at the dealerships are paid very low wages and don't put the clips in correctly. Ours was screwed down too tight.
Old 07-08-2015, 04:32 PM   #10

Send a message via MSN to Tiggerdad
Quote:
Originally Posted by offduty11 View Post
I noticed my new (2016) re has no caulking around the top of the shower when my last unit did. Are all the units like this?
My 2013 Crusader is not caulked. Neither was my HR Savoy. Top of surround is above the shower head so I see no need.

2013 Crusader 330 MKS
2013 Chevrolet Silverado LT 2500 D/A
Tiggerdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 05:37 PM   #11

Not to scare you Hey Jude. Check the caulking around the surround and the shower pan. My pan had spiderweb cracks after the family stayed a summer and that winter turning on my heel it broke. The guy did a decent job out of Brighton,MI. After a couple of months the water would seep thru. Not hard to dissemble about a dozen screws. Hard to hold the panels by yourself but can be done.

That's why I believe their is no caulking on the top of the surround. It's just really a brace to hold the three panels together.

Old 07-08-2015, 08:41 PM   #12

Several things to remember when installing your shower base or wall. Do NOT screw to wall unless you first drill the holes for the wall a bit larger than the screw. If yours is installed with a surrounding molding all the better, then you can use the molding as a clamp. These trailers and fifth wheels torque tremendously when maneuvering and need to flex. If not the plastic will crack at the screws. Can also happen in extreme weather such as we have been having the last few years.
hillsdaletc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags