Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-14-2013, 11:36 AM   #1

Need Some "RV Batteries 101" !

'Lo Gang,

I'm a fairly new 5th wheel owner with a GREAT(!) 2013 34 RLSA. I need some advice concerning the battery in the rig. We keep it parked on a lot a few blocks from our house. There is no electricity available out there (not even 110). When my trailer sits there for a couple of weeks, as it has since our last trip, the battery power drains away. I have checked and, as far as I can tell, there are no lights or anything left on that would drain the battery.

Question #1: Should I be shutting off the battery disconnect switch, which I assume disconnects the battery from anything in the trailer?

Question #2: Is that what the battery disconnect switch is for?

Question #3: Is there anything in the trailer other than lights which might drain the battery?

Question #4: Can I recharge the battery by connecting the trailer electric hook-up to my truck and letting it run for a bit? I intend to try this today.

Question #5: Any suggestions for storage for my situation? I use the term storage lightly, since we will probably not ever leave the trailer sitting there without using it for more than a month or so.

OK, that's all I can think of for now. Thanks in advance for your replies.

Skip
2013 Chevy 3500HD, D/A, DRW, 4X4
WeRCreekers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 12:06 PM   #2
Certified Curmudgeon

See insets below...
Hope this helps.

Question #1: Should I be shutting off the battery disconnect switch, which I assume disconnects the battery from anything in the trailer?
Yes, that is what it is for. It does not disconnect everything. Only what is wired to the distribution panel.

It wards off evil vampires. Kind of like garlic for your electrical system. It is not good to run deep cycle batteries down and recharge. Keep a close eye on your battery water level. The converter is a 3 stage but it could boil your water out.

Question #3: Is there anything in the trailer other than lights which might drain the battery?
Oh yes. They are known as vampires because they suck the juice out of your batts. Propane gas sensor is the worst.

Question #4: Can I recharge the battery by connecting the trailer electric hook-up to my truck and letting it run for a bit? I intend to try this today.

Yes but not quickly. They are deep cycle batts and charge slowly.

Question #5: Any suggestions for storage for my situation? I use the term storage lightly, since we will probably not ever leave the trailer sitting there without using it for more than a month or so.

For your situation, the batt disconnect should suffice. If not, consider a solar charger.

Skip[/QUOTE]
Old 06-14-2013, 01:44 PM   #3

I have a 2013 34 RLSA. I had the same problem even with the factory disconnect disconnected. So I put a battery disconnect on the battery itself so the entire trailer is dead. Now I can go a couple of months and still have battery power.
2003 Four Winns Funship 214 Deckboat - Hawaiian Breeze
Av8orLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 01:52 PM   #4

Hi Aviator Lou (HA! Broke your code ),

Hmmm. I'm so dumb, I have never heard of a battery disconnect (other than what is on the trailer). What is that and where can I find one? I'll Google it too. Thanks.
Old 06-14-2013, 01:57 PM   #5

Hey Ducky,

Thanks for that quick battery 101 course! Your answers are very helpful. I did recharge it with the truck and I switched the battery disconnect to "OFF". Hmmm... wonder why they call it that? It seems turned around. In my brain, switching a "battery disconnect" to ON would disconnect the battery instead of the other way around. But no matter, I now have the battery disconnected from the distribution panel.

Oh, and I'm going back out there to check the battery water level. Thanks again for your sound advice!

Regrads,
Skip
Old 06-14-2013, 02:00 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeRCreekers View Post
Hi Aviator Lou (HA! Broke your code :grin,

Hmmm. I'm so dumb, I have never heard of a battery disconnect (other than what is on the trailer). What is that and where can I find one? I'll Google it too. Thanks.
You can get one at any auto parts store. Even Walmart might sell them. They are relatively cheap and keep me from having a dead battery
Old 06-14-2013, 02:08 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckogram View Post
See insets below...
Hope this helps.

Yes, that is what it is for. It does not disconnect everything. Only what is wired to the distribution panel.

It wards off evil vampires. Kind of like garlic for your electrical system. It is not good to run deep cycle batteries down and recharge. Keep a close eye on your battery water level. The converter is a 3 stage but it could boil your water out.

Oh yes. They are known as vampires because they suck the juice out of your batts. Propane gas sensor is the worst.

Yes but not quickly. They are deep cycle batts and charge slowly.

For your situation, the batt disconnect should suffice. If not, consider a solar charger.

Skip
[/QUOTE]

On duck's answer to question number one... not all disconnects are wired the same. The one on folks' 5er is wired to shut up power to the distribution panel as Duck stated. While mine and some others I know disconnect the ground from the battery which kills EVERYTHING!!! as if there was no batter in...

question three, as duck said the gas sensor as well as the radio are in mine are always light up drawing minimal amounts, as is the display on the microwave...

question 4, you can charge it with the vehicle, as duck said it will be slow but you will have full voltage due to the camper using your truck battery... also this can/will drain your tv's battery if you leave it connected and not running... Also, the ability to charge off the tv is only if you have a constant 12v wired to the RV plug on the tv. Most have this from the factory, but not all do...

TV- 2015 Ram 2500 CCLB 6.7 Cummins 3.42 gears
Camper - 2015 Saber 322BHTS
avolnek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 02:30 PM   #8
Certified Curmudgeon

Just some general info...

Display on the microwave should not be lit. It's 120v... Unless there is a separate clock circuit...

If you use a disconnect at the battery you are also disabling your break-away and brakes. As long as you turn it on before towing it will work just fine. It will certainly kill the vampires. If you don't turn it on for towing, it might kill you as well.
Old 06-14-2013, 02:36 PM   #9

I dont have to worry about remembering to reconnect, because I need power to be able to connect to my truck
Old 06-20-2013, 08:16 PM   #10

I installed the disconnect directly to the battery.

Quite annoying when I forget to open the switch when storing the 5er - I usually find out with the DW complains that the refrigerator won't work when she goes to turn it on the day before we leave....
kablair is offline   Reply With Quote