Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-13-2015, 03:51 PM   #1

New 38FL

We are in the process of trading a 2014 Sunset Trail reserve for a 2016 Ceder Creek 38FL. We live in WV but spend the winters ( 4 months) at Willowtree Resort outside of Myrtle Beach. There are 8 or 9 full timers there, all with Ceder Creeks and they all love them.

So...........that got us thinking. Why not go with a better coach. The best I could get for price was $83000 in Myrtle, but a neighbor with a 2016 told me he saved $5000 by getting his in Ashland SC. So we contacted them and so far have saved $8000.

So we thought that we might ask youall if your experience with the Ceder Creek product is as positive as the folks at Willowtree? I realize that all units as big and complex as the 38fl all have minor tweaks........that being said, are you still positive on the product?

Any insight would sure be appreciated!

Bill & Jill & the three traveling muts
wildbill244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 05:05 PM   #2

Bill and Jill,

We have had our 38FL for a couple years now. We keep it full time at our lake property in NJ. Bought it mainly for the front living area and the residential refrigerator. It gives us plenty of space for weekend trips.

Only had a few minor issues so far such as plumbing leaks and ceiling lights not wired correctly. I fixed everything myself because it was easier than towing all the way back to the dealer.

You will want to do something around the front passenger side hydraulic leg next to the propane tanks to keep the critters out. Massive opening. I used a combination of expanding foam and steel wool to fill the void.

The battery compartment is also a nightmare. You will have to remove the first two batteries every time you need to cap off the last two. UGH!!!

Good luck,
Don
dmdrj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 05:15 PM   #3

Try Jeff Couch in Hamilton, OH. You will save thousands more.
4WD SRW Diesel
JohnF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 08:14 PM   #4

We bought our 2014 38 FL 18 months ago and apart from a few minor snags it has worked very well for us over the last two seasons. Right now the dealer is looking at the front passenger side electric slide that refuses to work unless I use the manual override switch and a window has started to get some condensation between the two sheets of glass. Make sure your dealer show you how to reset the mini breaker for the hydraulic leveling and the slides. These can easily trip due to low battery voltage. Have a thorough check of the seal around the shower door. Ours leaked and allowed water to drain out between the metal door slide and the top of the fiber glass floor pan. Equally, the connector to the shower drain.
A couple of months ago we took a look at the 2016 38FL and now I wish I could swap mine for that. With the additional slide it creates a whole lot more space and cupboards that are available in the kitchen area. We looked at a dealer in Mt Vernon, WA who was having a promotion and selling them for less than $70K fully loaded. If loonie wasn't so bad against the U$ right now I would have been very tempted to buy.
I did fit a rearview camera but because of the opposing slides and overall length it didn't work too well even with a booster aerial. The camera dealer is now in the process of swapping the original with a newer, more powerful rearview system.

Overall, we love our rig and can't wait to get back out with it. Unfortunately, we will have to wait through the very long Canadian winter before we can head out once again. It certainly draws some attention when you pull into a CG or resort and I am sure you will be delighted with your selection.

Richard & Diane
2014 Cedar Creek 38FL
2016 F350 Lariat CC DRW
Retired Metropolitan Police (UK)
Hutch333id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 08:42 PM   #5
CCRVOC

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnF View Post
Try Jeff Couch in Hamilton, OH. You will save thousands more.
X2 and it is nice trip.
2012 Dodge 3500, SLT Big Horn,CC,DRW,Cummins HO, EB, 4x4, 3:73, Retrax Pro, Q20, TST507, Garmin RV760, Sleek 4g
2014 Cedar Creek, 36CKTS, 1000w Solar, TriStar MPPT 60, Magnum 2000w, PI EMS, WiFi Ranger Elite, Sleek 4g, Wingard DTV Traveler
Retired Army in 1995, and now retired in 2016
Ramblin Recks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 10:19 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramblin Recks View Post
X2 and it is nice trip.
X3 From what I've seen they are about the lowest in the country if you don't have a trade..
GOTTOYS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 12:45 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOTTOYS View Post
X3 From what I've seen they are about the lowest in the country if you don't have a trade..
X4 I would buy from them again.
wanderer69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 05:33 AM   #8

Here is one in Pa New 2016 Forest River RV Cedar Creek 38FL Fifth Wheel at Stoltzfus RVs | Adamstown, PA | #15155 ask for Lee for a salesman, he was great when we bought
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 07:33 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOTTOYS View Post
$8,000 less than anyone else on the unit I am wanting to order. But, I have to trade in my camper.
keith52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 07:52 PM   #10

Thanks!

Thanks to everyone, especially Don & Richard, for your input. I am hopefully optimistic that our purchase of the 38FL will be a positive rewarding experience.

We live in WV but spend Jan-April at Willowtree RV Resort near Myrtle Beach each year. It is one of the nicest RV Resorts on the east coast. If you are looking for a spectacular RV Resort....look no further. One couple we met last year left Chicago, did the northern route to Ca., down the west coast and back across the southern route and wound up at Willowtree.
They traveled for four months, stayed at 89 campgrounds, before stopping at Willowtree. They said it was heads and shoulders above any place they had stayed. They were going to work their way up the east coast, but just decided to stay there instead.

Again, thanks for the input & hopefully we will see some of you at Willowtree this winter

Bill, Jill & the three traveling mutts!
Old 12-17-2015, 11:33 AM   #11

It has arrived

Just heard from the dealer in Anderson SC that our 38fl6 has arrived. We are off on the 29th to go down, do the paperwork battle, complete the pre delivery inspection and have it delivered to Willowtree in Myrtle. I have spent hours going over the Ceder Creek posts and will be doing the pre delivery inspection armed with six pages of notes on issues I have seen posted in this forum. (every thing from low hydrolic fluid to checking the seal around the shower and the $150.00 2nd year warranty) After it is set up, we will be snow birding there until the end of April.

MANY MANY thanks to Sticky and all of you for sharing your problems and thoughts on the Ceder Creek product. You just can't have to much info when doing the pre delivery inspection.

Bill, Jill & the 3 traveling mutts
Old 12-17-2015, 01:05 PM   #12

Congrats on the new unit. I believe they are now charging $250 for the 2nd year warranty on that unit.
4WD SRW Diesel
JohnF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 01:21 PM   #13
wls

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnF View Post
Congrats on the new unit. I believe they are now charging $250 for the 2nd year warranty on that unit.
Thats what they charged me a few weeks back.
2008 Dodge 3500 Dually, Cummins. Amsoil Bypass Oil Filter, 36 Gal aux fuel tank. Mag Hytec Trans pan. Mag Hytec Diff Pan. 6 speed autostick. 3:73, Timbrens, Smarty JR. Equipped.
2016 Cedar Creek 38FB2, Hydra Star disc brakes,
400 watt Rich solar on top,200 watts of suitcase
wls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 03:29 PM   #14

I paid 72,000for my 38FL it's a 2014 loaded with extras
wire1946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 04:16 PM   #15

On pre delivery, make lots of notes on each area. Since you are going to winter in Myrtle Beach, ENSURE you know EVERY SAFE STEP TO WINTERIZE, de winterize, and re winterize. Life calls and plans abruptly change. If you are not in your unit with ample propane operating daily ( for ANY REASON) freeze damage can occur quickly.

The pre delivery likely will not review sewer hose operation in freezing weather! You need to know these things.

Outdoor water hose(s), etc.

If it's wet, it can freeze.

Remember, in cold temps, propane use is high. Try to gauge your tanks and weekly average usage.

A few years ago we spent the winter in Mesa, AZ. Moderate winters BUT, experienced a few ICE STORMS OVERNIGHT....trust me, I learned from experience!! Those damned tanks run out AFTER EVERY PROPANE CENTER IS CLOSED FOR THE DAY.....it's the propane extraction demon that resides in the tanks!!

Just say'n, think of your lists as OUTSIDE OF THE BOX.
SilverbackMel is offline   Reply With Quote