Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-26-2016, 01:59 PM   #1

New Bear Decal

My decal delaminated from a clear film over the decal. I assumed this clear film just needed to be removed. It was easy to remove however a sticky glue was left behind. I called Warranty and they sent me a new decal. Now this new decal has a bit of texture to the front of the decal and is a 3M product. Before I apply this decal has anyone else had a similiar experience and is there a clear mask/film that needs to be removed.
Doug Currie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 07:07 PM   #2

Yes, 3 bear decals. NO, do not remove that clear "cover"!! I did both ways and it should STAY INTACT.

Once you remove that "film" , in a short period; likely weeks; it becomes GARBAGE.
My issue was resolved due to 2x mocha cap fade and went to 2016 oyster, NO BEAR!!
SilverbackMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 09:20 AM   #3

Thanks Mel. They sent my trailer down to a body shop and used a automotive paint on the cap before we took pocession. I'm hoping it does not fade. This new decal I just received is a 3M product and does not seem to have that same clear film over it. I'll give it a try and use some UV protection on the decal and hope it all survives. Thxs
Doug Currie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 10:05 AM   #4

Good luck

We liked the BEAR, however, when the first fade happened; the shop used their decal pro to install it after the buff, etc. The first one was CROOKED, the second one had a huge wrinkle, the last one I peeled the coating...not good. Went all the way back to Indiana from Atlanta. They offered an extra oyster 2016 cap they had on hand. DONE!
SilverbackMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 11:48 PM   #5

I dunno what clear cover on the decals youse guys are talking about, but any decals from the factory are a vinyl decal sandwiched between a backing and a semi transparent cover. You peel the backing off to expose the adhesive that holds the decal in place and apply it to the surface of your RV. Once you squeege out the air bubbles and wrinkles working from center to edges ... you carefully peel the semi transparent cover off. It is supposed to come off as it is only there to protect the decal while you are working the air and wrinkles out. It is also in place to space multiple parts of some decals while applying ... for example the word "Silverback". I've done other brands that have a mountain scene with 3-4 different pieces ... the semi transparent cover holds the spacing of these till you have them in place and squeegied out.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 05:56 AM   #6

Any time you get a decal to install i suggest using rapid tac, it is a little expensive but you spray the camper surface where you are going to install, then lay your decal face down on a table, remove the release liner (the paper backing against the decal you usually throw away) spray the heck out of the decal then stick it on the camper, the rapid tac is designed to stun the glue for a few minutes so you can reposition the decal, once you get it in straight you have to squeegee the rest of the water out. If you have transfer tape on top of the decal you can wait about 20 minutes after you squeegee it all down and remove the tape. Here is a link

http://www.amazon.com/RAPID-Applicat...A1UMBRA5ZTBCX8
Old 05-29-2016, 11:21 AM   #7

A couple of drops of dish soap in a spray bottle of water works similar. It too keeps the adhesive from instantly clinging to the surface so you can position it.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote