Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-03-2016, 09:22 AM   #21

Just finished winterizing our 2014 38ck and noticed that both the front and rear caps are turning white from the top down . I just sent a email to Dldavis@forestriverinc.com and will see what response we get . Took delivery in March 2015 and had to take back in April 2015 to have the bed room slide floor replaced because of warping and not allowing the slide to go in and out and was told it happened because when it was built they did not caulk the lower molding across the bottom witch allowed water in and warped the floor , so after 3 months in the shop we finely picked up our unit in June 2015 and now this . Makes me to want to think twice about another Forest River product . We have bought many new RV's and have never had major problems like we have had with this unit and it makes it hard to convince the dear wife of going full time .
14 CC 38CK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 10:48 AM   #22

Our last two Cedar Creek front caps faded, a 14 and a 15. It does make the camper look old. My camper looks new now with the new cap. I hope this replacement solves the problem, if not I'll take camper to a auto body shop. It cost something to take camper back to factory. If I could trade this camper I would for a bigger camper, a Cedar Creek 36CKTS

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 12:01 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14 CC 38CK View Post
Just finished winterizing our 2014 38ck and noticed that both the front and rear caps are turning white from the top down . I just sent a email to Dldavis@forestriverinc.com and will see what response we get . Took delivery in March 2015 and had to take back in April 2015 to have the bed room slide floor replaced because of warping and not allowing the slide to go in and out and was told it happened because when it was built they did not caulk the lower molding across the bottom witch allowed water in and warped the floor , so after 3 months in the shop we finely picked up our unit in June 2015 and now this . Makes me to want to think twice about another Forest River product . We have bought many new RV's and have never had major problems like we have had with this unit and it makes it hard to convince the dear wife of going full time .
They did take care of the floor as they should have. I bet the three months that it took was due to the dealer you brought it to not Cedar Creek. They will take care of the caps if you are the first owner. I don't know what more you can ask. Every manufacturer has had the same problem with the gel coat fading. Some took care of it, some didn't. My previous Heartland product had the same problem. They paid to have the front cap painted but a couple years out of warranty they left me hanging out to dry when it was time to paint the rear cap. From what I have seen Cedar Creek is taking care of their customers even when they are long past their warranty period. I sure have no complaints about how they have treated me so far.
Level up, dual panes & all that stuff...
GOTTOYS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 12:16 PM   #24

I guess the question is when they replace the front and back caps are the new ones any better ?? I just got my date for next Sept 2017 to have both the front and back replaced
14 CC 38CK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 04:26 PM   #25

Cedar Creek

So, will new caps be better? Yes. Question: better than what?? 2 yrs ; 4years +? Time will tell. Better offer than no offer. I changed from mocha to oyster.
Since they dropped mocha, I feel bettter!!

To the respondent who " can't afford to take a loss" just swallow hard and try to enjoy your rv. FR has drawn their line in the sand and it sounds like it will not favor you. It's unfortunate but if they extend it to 3 years plus and multiple owners, where does it end for them. You feel strongly. We get that! Go hire a lawyer and sue FR. Nothing anyone can add here has ANY INFLUENCE.
This thread has run it's course.
We wish you all the best. If it were me, I would follow the paint recommendations. Litigation, not so much.
Throwing good $$$ down the legal hole is painful;
Please don't ask how I know!! 😖😩
SilverbackMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 10:37 AM   #26
Mddle of the Rd Extremist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverbackMel View Post
So, will new caps be better? Yes. Question: better than what?? 2 yrs ; 4years +? Time will tell. Better offer than no offer. I changed from mocha to oyster.
Since they dropped mocha, I feel bettter!!

To the respondent who " can't afford to take a loss" just swallow hard and try to enjoy your rv. FR has drawn their line in the sand and it sounds like it will not favor you. It's unfortunate but if they extend it to 3 years plus and multiple owners, where does it end for them. You feel strongly. We get that! Go hire a lawyer and sue FR. Nothing anyone can add here has ANY INFLUENCE.
This thread has run it's course.
We wish you all the best. If it were me, I would follow the paint recommendations. Litigation, not so much.
Throwing good $$$ down the legal hole is painful;
Please don't ask how I know!! ����

Very to the point, Mel..... BTW - Did FR give you the choice between mocha and oyster? If given the option, I'd certainly go for the oyster when our caps get replaced next June. Thanks in advance for your response.....
2014 Cedar Creek 38FL
2013 RAM 3500 6.7L diesel DRW Crew Cab
"When you get to the fork in the road, take it....."
MeepMeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 10:46 PM   #27

SilverbackMel, or any others that went with the "Oyster" cap instead of the original "Mocha" on the SilverBack. I am looking to do the same on my 2015 29IK. How did the final product turn out? Which decal did you use on the replacement cap? I am booked for a September change out with the Amish Family RV Service. I am looking forward to getting this done. Any pics you might have of the final product would be great.
Old 01-16-2017, 06:41 AM   #28

Cap replacement

I went with the standard 2016 Oyster with the decal as it came. If I can figure how to post a pic later today, I will. However, any stock 2016 Silverback cap photo you see is the same.

I was at a factory recommended shop like almost 2 years ago in Goshen. Visited with Denise and she happened to have just 1 extra Oyster cap sitting there and offered to ship it over to Goshen that day. It was installed and I never looked back.

I use NuFinish car wax on it 2x a year. Looks great!!
Went to the unit 2 days ago in the N Georgia mountains to check it out ( unusual warm day). Washed the cap, took 10 minutes, checked the rv, all good, went home A HAPPY CAMPER 😂.
Old 01-17-2017, 01:11 PM   #29

Hey Kevin we're looking to do the same thing..I'd be interested to see how yours turns out...not sure if you remember but the guy that will do your cap is the guy that swapped mine and Lee's bed frame
birdman77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 09:37 AM   #30

Just one email to Denise and I am scheduled for front cap replacement on May 5th at the Amish RV place....He called back in good time and was very helpful and asked if there was anything else out of shape. I did ask about the oyster cap and was told they go to other RV's and was not sure he could get one to put on. He did say they are suppose to be putting a UV inhibitor in the paint now and has not seen any return customers......so we shall see....would still love to have the oyster cap though...
My Steelpony....2007 HD Ultra Classic...done up in a memorial to the 343 firefighters who died 9/11
Never Ever Forget....yes I was a Volunteer FF for 20 years........
steelpony5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 11:23 AM   #31

Ken (birdman77), Good hearing from you. I hope both you and Brenda are doing well. I do remember the bed swap and how pleased you and Lee were with the speed and workmanship of the crew. I am going to try and make the Oyster cap happen. I was told by Denise that the Oyster swap would be a special order and would need to be requested by Amish Family RV. I will leave them a message and see if I can make the arrangements ahead of time so all is waiting for us in September.
Old 05-28-2017, 09:40 AM   #32

Is the new cap built differently than the original so it will not fade. My trailer is 15 months old and started to fade.
Henry16415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 10:17 AM   #33

Yes! New process. Caps are NOT MADE BY FR. Outside supplier.
Old 06-09-2017, 08:05 PM   #34

Was out in Topeka Indiana June 5 and 6. Amish Family RV replaced our caps. Great place. Worth the trip.
wmbuttion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 03:25 PM   #35
Mddle of the Rd Extremist

It was worth the wait (and the trip)

After waiting for nearly 14 months to schedule and get our 38FL to Topeka, I can say it was worth the wait and the trip to have our caps done by some amazing technicians (Jaired & Stan Budd) who did a magnificent job and looked over our whole rig. They shared some valuable maintenance tips and we keep finding things they took care of without our having to ask. Denise Davis is AWESOME to work with and we can't thank her enough for the factory tour, her fantastic customer service and her insights. Thanks, Denise and thanks Forest River!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cedar Creek Before & After.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	388.2 KB
ID:	143130  
2014 Cedar Creek 38FL
2013 RAM 3500 6.7L diesel DRW Crew Cab
"When you get to the fork in the road, take it....."
MeepMeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 10:38 PM   #36

I have to say, that overall. Cedar Creek within forest river, has been very responsive to me. That's a good thing for overall customer experience. Especially when your paying high dollar. Can't say I had that with Thor. Now I also know, regardless of dollars, each customer feels entitled to good service. But realistically, in my business as well as trailers, the more higher end you get better service. It's just simple economics.
Mdaniels4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 06:31 PM   #37

Well, I am very happy to say that last week we had our CC in to Orvan at Amish Family RV Service for the front and rear cap replacement and they did an absolute sterling job. We had it there for 7am in the morning and they began working on it straight away. In fact, they had the caps off before I'd even left their workshop.
Orvan walked me around the rig and pointed out a few things (mainly slide seals on the front and rear underside edges). We had these worked on, the slides re-calibrated, some seals replaced, a window replaced (warranty as well) and a new slide motor and wiring on the front drivers side schwintek (warranty). There was some bodywork I'd damaged and then interior trim re-secured as well as the bedroom closet put on slides. They added foam to help seal the gap between the chassis and the floor to help reduce the water impregnation from road spray on the underside.

All of their work was excellent. It cost me quite a few $ for the additional work but my CC is now better than it was before it originally left the factory.

Orvan and the team were great to work with and I have to thank Denise for approving the original cap change and putting me in contact with Amish Family RV Service.

I'd post pictures but we've just driven back to Calgary and the front cap is speckled with 3000km's of bugs.

Richard & Diane
2014 Cedar Creek 38FL
2016 F350 Lariat CC DRW
Retired Metropolitan Police (UK)
Hutch333id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 06:50 PM   #38

Geez.

So NOW I see why it's been so hard to get an appointment with Orvan to fix my slides and remote board!! You guys are taking all the slots! LOL

I will limp to FROG........and for 2 weeks after......hoping they go in, stay in, and then go out at the next stop.......which they have not done very well at lately! And I have appointment with him Aug 24. After that date, when they fix it, I should have every single thing fixed and have an awesome trailer. That is one month from today. That's going to be a LONG month for me!!!

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 07:52 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post
Geez.

So NOW I see why it's been so hard to get an appointment with Orvan to fix my slides and remote board!! You guys are taking all the slots! LOL

I will limp to FROG........and for 2 weeks after......hoping they go in, stay in, and then go out at the next stop.......which they have not done very well at lately! And I have appointment with him Aug 24. After that date, when they fix it, I should have every single thing fixed and have an awesome trailer. That is one month from today. That's going to be a LONG month for me!!!
They really are a great team he has working for him. Everything is fixed (IMHO) to the highest level. The labor charges caused me some indigestion and maxed out my US credit card but their work is excellent.

If you haven't been before, drive straight south through Topeka on the main street heading south. (Topeka Pizza on the left at the 4 way stop). Drive about 1 mile and then cross over the four-way stop at W1200 N57 and you'll see a large workshop down on the right about 2-300yds further on. There is no sign advertising their name.
Indiana 9 (South) was closed for construction just south of Shipshewana when we were there last week so we had to take some back road - just be very wary of the horse buggies.

Richard & Diane
2014 Cedar Creek 38FL
2016 F350 Lariat CC DRW
Retired Metropolitan Police (UK)
Hutch333id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 08:16 PM   #40

Excellent shop. We were out there June 6. Awsome work.
wmbuttion is offline   Reply With Quote