Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-09-2014, 03:12 PM   #1

New Cedar Creek Smell

Hello,

Just found this forum and was looking for some help. We ordered and received our 2015 Cedar Creek this past spring.

The 5th wheel has a strange "new car" smell that we can't get rid of. I'm not sure if it's the carpet or glue used. I've cleaned and washed the entire inside.

Any suggestions?

Thank you!
kski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 03:14 PM   #2

With one of our new campers in the past, I opened it up, and cranked the heat up on a hot day. Supposedly it helps "bake" out the odor. I think it's certain building components "gassing" off.
jtstromsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 03:21 PM   #3

Thank you, will give that a try.
Old 09-09-2014, 03:30 PM   #4
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtstromsburg View Post
With one of our new campers in the past, I opened it up, and cranked the heat up on a hot day. Supposedly it helps "bake" out the odor. I think it's certain building components "gassing" off.
First - I would think most owners of new vehicles and/or RV's want to keep that. New smell as long as possible.

Second - you're probably right about the odor coming from glues and other components used in the building process. On all my new vehicles, I experienced a film on the windshield for about a year. I was told the film came from the upholstery and glues.
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 03:34 PM   #5
Mod free 5er

Most likely the vinyl, carpet, glue etc just out gassing.
Old 09-09-2014, 03:34 PM   #6

If you have a fantastic type fan, open a couple of windows at each end of the trailer and turn the fan on high. Run it for a few days if needed and it'll probably subside quite a bit.
Old 09-09-2014, 04:03 PM   #7

I don't know if it will help your issue or not....

...we put in a 90 day order remover($5.00 pull the cover off and set on counter) from menards and sprayed down the inside with freebreeze pet scent and left the windows open overnight...the second night sprayed again and by the next morning most of odor(our odor I cant describe, just didn't smell new) was gone..sorry I said we...I meant my wife did.....lol......she didn't just squirt the freebreeze, she didn't soak anything either, but she did make sure sprayed it on everything cloth, drapes, couch beds....

it might not hurt to spray and leave windows closed then open them the second day...let the spray and odor canister work in and settle in....

Outlawadventurer
2010 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually 6.7L
2014 Cedar Creek Silverback 35QB4
OutlawAdventurer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 05:02 PM   #8

Thanks for all the replies. The odor most diffidently is not a pleasant smell and is very difficult to describe. While I do like the "new car" smell this is very different. Even my clean clothes that I brought back into the house had the odor.
As I write this my Cedar Creek is baking with the furnace at 90 degrees. Next I will try the febreeze and odor remover. I have left the windows open with the fanastic fan running for many days and that hasn't helped.
It is surprising that we have had the 5th wheel since May and it doesn't smell any better.
I really love my Cedar Creek, just trying to get it to smell a little better.
Thanks again, really appreciate it.
Old 09-09-2014, 05:07 PM   #9
Mod free 5er

Look in every nook and cranny for dirty laundry, wash cloths, etc.
Old 09-09-2014, 05:54 PM   #10

I agree, check everywhere you can and see if something is causing it...wash everything you can.......

Good luck...hope you can figure it out.....my German Shepherd, got car sick in my truck(won't bother describing the smell, wish she would have just dumped)....used the same thing on the truck...it took about three-four days of treating it, but got the smell out........either than are we got used to it....LOL..LOL..

one other option is rent a small steam cleaner and clean all fabrics...if nothing else works...

once again good luck

Outlawadventurer
2010 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually 6.7L
2014 Cedar Creek Silverback 35QB4
OutlawAdventurer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 06:19 PM   #11

Most likely the carpet.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Ranger7700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 06:43 AM   #12
lab

We too have the same odor problem as you do. As you have posted the odor is hard to describe. we contacted cedar creek with no resolution. we have used charcoal, moth balls, coffee, kitty litter. The smell is absorbed in our clothes, hair, towels, sheets. If you find a solution we will be so interested in hearing from you. Thank you!
lab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 07:03 AM   #13
lab

we have had the odor since we purchased the 2013 model new from the factory. Do you suggest cleaning carpet?
Old 09-10-2014, 11:17 AM   #14

Kanberra Gel.
Campingnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 07:01 PM   #15

Tried putting the heat up to 90 for a few hours then opened the windows with the fantastic fans on high for another few hours. Sorry to say it didn't made a difference. I plan on getting the odor absorbent, frebreeze and Kanberra gel.
I'd really like to get it smelling better before we head to Florida for 4 months. I'll keep you posted if I find something that really works.
Also thanks to all for the suggestions.
Old 09-10-2014, 07:14 PM   #16
lab

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.
Old 09-11-2014, 09:47 PM   #17

Get a bunch of your buddies to come inside and offer free beer and brats with kraut. Won't be long and you'll be begging for that new smell to come back..
GOTTOYS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 11:14 PM   #18

Rent a ozone generator.... Seal up the rv..setup generator and leave it running for a few days.. ( stay out of rv while it's running)Clears up any smell...and the smell doesn't come back .. Good luck
Old 02-10-2015, 11:39 AM   #19

Old school solution. This worked for me in a new mobile home several years back. Cut a cantaloupe in half and set it in the house in a couple of locations. It somehow takes away the formaldehyde odors after a day. It made a huge difference then. I can't comment on the science but if it doesn't work what are you out?
dkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 11:50 AM   #20

Then, take your boss some cantalope.....
woozy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cedar creek