Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-13-2017, 11:23 PM   #1

New Fifth wheel arrives at dealer

My 2018 Cedar Creek Hathaway 34RL2 has arrived at the dealer. I stopped by Saturday the day it arrived and it looks good. I could only find two small issues and the dealer told me about another. I found one of the light fixtures was missing parts and the remote for the jacks/lights/awnings was not working. The dealer said the oven door was broken and they had already ordered a new one. Does anyone know if the ovens have a glass window in them? I hope trailer is ready for pick tomorrow. Is there anything else I should be looking for? I told the dealer to have everything running or ready to run when I arrive for the PDI.
Fireman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 04:36 PM   #2

Whe to pay?

We are about to purchase a CC Hathaway.

What is the deal on payment. At the PDI if it does not pass with flying colors do your leave to wait for the completion of repairs without payment?

I intend to PDI 3/1 and hope to leave 3/21 for a trip. Optimistic?
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 04:42 PM   #3

New Fifth wheel arrives at dealer

Congrats on the new trailer. Word of advice. Let them keep it as long as they need to correct any issue before you take it because it can be a pain in the butt getting it handled after you take delivery. Before you take delivery there’s a fire under them to make things right.
SlfMdeFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 04:46 PM   #4
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Allen View Post
Congrats on the new trailer. Word of advice. Let them keep it as long as they need to correct any issue before you take it because it can be a pain in the butt getting it handled after you take delivery. Before you take delivery there’s a fire under them to make things right.
And once you pay them, (in most cases) that fire goes out real quick.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 04:47 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
And once you pay them, (in most cases) that fire goes out real quick.

Bingo!!!
SlfMdeFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 08:36 PM   #6

Thank you for the advice. So far I only have three issues. The oven door was broken. Dealer/owner says he has the replacement on order. There are two cosmetic issues. The first, someone let the step down without the legs extended denting the skirt. The second, is there are a fair amount of paint chips in the front cap. All three are written in our purchase contract to be repaired. We will see how the dealer/owner handles the issues now that I have received the trailer.
Old 11-14-2017, 09:47 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireman1 View Post
Thank you for the advice. So far I only have three issues. The oven door was broken. Dealer/owner says he has the replacement on order. There are two cosmetic issues. The first, someone let the step down without the legs extended denting the skirt. The second, is there are a fair amount of paint chips in the front cap. All three are written in our purchase contract to be repaired. We will see how the dealer/owner handles the issues now that I have received the trailer.
I would be concerned about the paint chips, I assume the unit was made in Topeka, IN., and transported to California. From my understanding the CC units now have a painted and clear coated cap. As high as they ride a paint chip should be a rarity, something is fishy here. I have over 3000 miles on my unit and there is not the first blemeish on the front cap.
2017 Laredo 325RL Sold
2016 Vengeance 29V Sold
1970 Yellowstone Used as down payment for first house
FrankG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 10:50 PM   #8

I agree. I was told the carriers truck broke down. I surmised the trailer was towed with a tow vehicle without rear fenders to the repair shop. They are going to repaint at a automotive shop.
Old 11-15-2017, 03:43 PM   #9

Get EVERY THING FIXED BEFORE YOU TAKE DELIVERY.
I have owned four 5th wheels. Belive me once it leaves the lot its very very difficult to get the dealers to fix anything.
Kwralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 04:34 PM   #10
Wrench Turnin Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwralph View Post
Get EVERY THING FIXED BEFORE YOU TAKE DELIVERY.
I have owned four 5th wheels. Belive me once it leaves the lot its very very difficult to get the dealers to fix anything.
I'm leaning this the hard way.
Nothing major, but snotting little things.
Don't accept it if it isn't right.

2001 Coleman SantaFe pop up
Excited new owner of 2018 Arctic Wolf 315TBH8
Towing with a 2005 F-250 5.4 GASSER
Arctic Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 04:54 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Wolf View Post
I'm leaning this the hard way.
Nothing major, but snotting little things.
Don't accept it if it isn't right.
That was my plan also, everything fixed before I took delivery,
upon inspection all items had been fixed except one of the decals pealing.
When is this going to be fixed was my comment and the response being that the decal had been ordered. I then commented that I lived about 1 hour away and did not want to travel back to have it fixed and the shop foreman said they would do whatever I wanted and I replied you will have to come to my house and replace the decal to my surprise he replied "whatever it takes". Kudos to my dealer they sent a mobile repair man to my home and replaced the decal. Moral of the story buy from a dealer that you trust and has a good reputation and they will make you happy.
Thanks Adventure Motor Homes!

2017 Cardinal 3250RL
2016 F250 6.2 Gasser, 4.30 Gears, Firestone Air Ride, 5 Star Tuning
Travelmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 04:55 PM   #12
Wrench Turnin Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelmor View Post
That was my plan also, everything fixed before I took delivery,
upon inspection all items had been fixed except one of the decals pealing.
When is this going to be fixed was my comment and the response being that the decal had been ordered. I then commented that I lived about 1 hour away and did not want to travel back to have it fixed and the shop foreman said they would do whatever I wanted and I replied you will have to come to my house and replace the decal to my surprise he replied "whatever it takes". Kudos to my dealer they sent a mobile repair man to my home and replaced the decal. Moral of the story buy from a dealer that you trust and has a good reputation and they will make you happy.
Thanks Adventure Motor Homes!
I wish I knew that before.
Next time...

Old 11-15-2017, 08:01 PM   #13

When my friend received his Sundance he asked to go with him at the dealer. They had done the Pdi ( supposed to ) everything was checked out ok. Having worked for a dealer and having checked new arrival and giving demo to new clients i think i know wat to check out for. after doing a run down we had 3 pages of things to repair and a unulual answer of wy the underbelly was cut open. the only advice i can give you is to pick it up with a third party who is not involved in the sale and has experience in RV , and experienced owner will do. If there is anything wrong leave it there. Take te run trough before going to the FNR, who by the way will try to sell you anithing you do not absulutely need, like protection coat for the ouside of you rig and stuff like that.
Lappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 08:03 PM   #14
Wrench Turnin Fool

I was pretty surprised that they didn't try to sell me ANYTHING.
They barely tried to sell me the unit... Just answered any questions I had... I think they didn't really expect me to buy, maybe I caught them off guard?

Old 11-15-2017, 08:09 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lappy View Post
When my friend received his Sundance he asked to go with him at the dealer. They had done the Pdi ( supposed to ) everything was checked out ok. Having worked for a dealer and having checked new arrival and giving demo to new clients i think i know wat to check out for. after doing a run down we had 3 pages of things to repair and a unulual answer of wy the underbelly was cut open. the only advice i can give you is to pick it up with a third party who is not involved in the sale and has experience in RV , and experienced owner will do. If there is anything wrong leave it there. Take te run trough before going to the FNR, who by the way will try to sell you anithing you do not absulutely need, like protection coat for the ouside of you rig and stuff like that.
Underbelly cut open? Only conceivable reason is to let water drain out. Yikes. What did they tell you?
Old 11-16-2017, 10:39 AM   #16

They told us that it was a sensor problem ......... With abrand new FW ? Not sure , they did'nt do any tes with water in the tanks. After a few months on a trip to SC . The grey tank fell . I had to go underneat reopen the underbelly , plce the tank and secure it . They ansewred back it was his fault he overfill the tank. Knowing my friends it is impossible they nare very meticulous about there rig.

( excuse my writing in english, translating from french is not always acurate )
Lappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 10:47 AM   #17

On demand water heater

My new Hathaway had an on demand water heater that did not work. It would only do luke-warm at best. Had to replace the water heater with the old style. I wish you luck. Our new Hathaway 34RL2 has been the absolute worst trailer that I have bought in over 50 years.
dwebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 11:06 AM   #18

Don't Pay for or Accept the unit until you are Completely satisfied that it is 100% correct to your liking, if you do it is yours and you are completely at their mercy to get it repaired under warranty. also Fireman1 Cedar Creek pays the dealer to install 4 six volt batteries, don't let them get by with just installing one 12 volt battery.
Amateur Radio W5CI 2019 Days Camping 25
2020 Days Camping 7
W5CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 01:20 PM   #19

I suggest using one of the many checklists that are available. Here is the one that I used:
http://www.angelfire.com/trek/buenav...PDI_V113_2.pdf

I sent a copy to the dealer and told him I wanted a tech to be available to go through it with me. To my surprise the tech had it printed out and checked off each item before I got there....yes, we went through it again but I am convinced that he had done it on his own before I got there.
crrod is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dealer, fifth wheel, wheel