Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-23-2015, 09:26 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBS View Post
WOW I don't mean to hijack but my neighbor bought a 2014 cc 38ck last year and paid $55,000 !
Explorer package and thermopane windows.

Lol did you buy a spare?

TURBS
08 duramax tuned n modded, 32bhok Sabre
2015 camping "2 nights"
Our 2015 5er (36 DBK5) was $52K..$90 does seem like he should have got 2! Or maybe there is $40K in upgrades on his? I dunno..

2015 36DBK5
2015 Chevy 3500 dually
Ninemmsig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 09:53 AM   #22

Ok I guess you guys have never priced out a Cedar Creek in Canada before.
Campingnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 09:54 AM   #23
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campingnut View Post
Ok I guess you guys have never priced out a Cedar Creek in Canada before.
Not when I can get them almost half price here evidently. lol[emoji106] [emoji12]

TURBS
2015 camping "2 nights"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 09:57 AM   #24

According to Google, 79k USD = 86416.94 Can $
Plus tax I imagine, more than 90k.
Old 04-23-2015, 10:02 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arefbee View Post
According to Google, 79k USD = 86416.94 Can $
Plus tax I imagine, more than 90k.
There we go $90,000
Campingnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 10:24 AM   #26
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by billb800si View Post
=============================

have to agree with you. I've never seen a Forest River $90,000.00 5th wheeler before. Any pictures..
Apparently the Forest River Cardinal (which I've honestly never heard of) is regularly priced over $90K.

New and Used Forest River Cardinal Fifth Wheel For Sale On RV Trader
Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 12:59 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
Apparently the Forest River Cardinal (which I've honestly never heard of) is regularly priced over $90K.

New and Used Forest River Cardinal Fifth Wheel For Sale On RV Trader
The Cardinal is the "Top of The Line" Forest River 5er. They are BEASTs as well - 100" wide and 40+' long

We saw the new 3825FL at a recent RV show and yeah they ARE nice - MSRP $120K fully loaded & full body paint (about as much as a Trilogy)

Still, using the 35% rule, a loaded Cardinal should be able to be purchased for right at $80K ($98K CDN)

Similarly, a fully loaded Cedar Creek--which is considered to be the #2 "Luxury" FR 5er (right behind Cardinal) goes for @ $72K at the RV Supercenters ($88K CDN).
Nights Camped: 2013 - 24 • 2014 - 42 • 2015 - 56 • Jul 2016 - Fulltime •
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 01:00 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey View Post
Is it just us or does it seem that quality has taken a back seat to quantity with the newer RV units. Our Creek (build date 4/28/12) has been (knock on wood) issue free for the most part, however, we do see a lot of issues on various forums with the late '13, 14 & 15 units. Most problems run from simple to complex in repair scope. Anytime a repair is warrantied, we the owners are forced to suffer the loss of access to our RVs while repairs are completed. I think this is a topic that should be addressed with Forest River at the FROG rally in August. I would be interested to see,hear from other members on this.

We don't know that this is our last RV (due to age issues) or not, but we will certainly be taking a good hard look at quality & warranty work histories for any manufacturer we consider before spending the kind of bucks needed to get a new RV. We are thankful that Forest River has such dedicated warranty sections, especially the group at Cedar Creek.

Mikey
Mikey

I agree, quality has taken a back seat. I purchased a Crusader last July and have had the unit in for 4 or 5 warranty issues from bad slide motors to faulty leaking toilets. Will take it back for leaky grey tank valve.

My previous 2007 Sundance had no issues what so ever.

Sheepherder
SheepHerder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 01:39 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheepHerder View Post
Mikey

I agree, quality has taken a back seat. I purchased a Crusader last July and have had the unit in for 4 or 5 warranty issues from bad slide motors to faulty leaking toilets. Will take it back for leaky grey tank valve.

My previous 2007 Sundance had no issues what so ever.

Sheepherder
I have beat this drum before and I'll beat it again PDI PDI PDI PDI!

Also Dealer WILLINGNESS to spend a lengthy PDI with you. When we bought our 5er from Dandy RV (Now consumed by Camping World ) They told us their PDI would take 6 hours (it took almost 7!) AND they offered us a free night in the KOA next door (which they owned) as a 'shake down' campout.

We also found out Dandy does (did) a PDI of their own BEFORE the customer PDI. Result: Zero findings on our PDI. Shake down campout resulted in me breaking a sewer cap (which Dandy replaced free of charge).

Ever since then (2 years now) 1 A/C unit went out last July-warranty replacement (and no fault of FR), FR Techs replaced/upgraded our Dometic Refer fan at Goshen (again not a FR quality issue), Replaced steps at Goshen (Self-inflicted--I bent them on the trip to Goshen). And, that's it.

For all the people out there that complain of Sawdust in the water lines, blocked sewer lines, lights that don't work - folks this is all PDI issues. You really DO need to go over your new RV with a fine tooth comb.

For the folks who have cabinetry fall apart after 2 months or water line leaks, I feel for you - that IS on FR!

For these problems, this is why it is CRITICAL to have a GREAT relationship with your local dealer (even if you bought from a Supercenter). The best tip I have been told on how to do this (only works if you have several FR dealers in your area) is develop a relationship with the dealer that does NOT sell your FR Make/Model. They still get reimbursed for Warranty work after all
Old 04-23-2015, 02:01 PM   #30

check it out

Here's 1
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	thunderbolt xlr.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	75033  
Davepasch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 02:02 PM   #31
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSVBamaBob View Post
I have beat this drum before and I'll beat it again PDI PDI PDI PDI!

Also Dealer WILLINGNESS to spend a lengthy PDI with you. When we bought our 5er from Dandy RV (Now consumed by Camping World ) They told us their PDI would take 6 hours (it took almost 7!) AND they offered us a free night in the KOA next door (which they owned) as a 'shake down' campout.

We also found out Dandy does (did) a PDI of their own BEFORE the customer PDI. Result: Zero findings on our PDI. Shake down campout resulted in me breaking a sewer cap (which Dandy replaced free of charge).

Ever since then (2 years now) 1 A/C unit went out last July-warranty replacement (and no fault of FR), FR Techs replaced/upgraded our Dometic Refer fan at Goshen (again not a FR quality issue), Replaced steps at Goshen (Self-inflicted--I bent them on the trip to Goshen). And, that's it.

For all the people out there that complain of Sawdust in the water lines, blocked sewer lines, lights that don't work - folks this is all PDI issues. You really DO need to go over your new RV with a fine tooth comb.

For the folks who have cabinetry fall apart after 2 months or water line leaks, I feel for you - that IS on FR!

For these problems, this is why it is CRITICAL to have a GREAT relationship with your local dealer (even if you bought from a Supercenter). The best tip I have been told on how to do this (only works if you have several FR dealers in your area) is develop a relationship with the dealer that does NOT sell your FR Make/Model. They still get reimbursed for Warranty work after all
I 100% agree on 8 pdi"s[emoji106]

TURBS
2015 camping "2 nights"
Old 04-23-2015, 03:34 PM   #32
DDC

I have seen Cedar Creek 36CKTS for sale by dealers in Canada one was $104,997.00 the other was $109,499.00 not including tax, the MSRP is not cast in stone dealers will and do sell for as much as they can get, and, may I say that questioning the price that was quoted of 90K and purporting that the poster was not up front is just nasty.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 03:39 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDC View Post
I have seen Cedar Creek 36CKTS for sale by dealers in Canada one was $104,997.00 the other was $109,499.00 not including tax, the MSRP is not cast in stone dealers will and do sell for as much as they can get, and, may I say that questioning the price that was quoted of 90K and purporting that the poster was not up front is just nasty.
*Exactly* Donald! The best rule of thumb I have been told is find out with the MSRP of the RV is and then deduct 35% from that - that should be your negotiating price. If you have a couple of dealers that you can access, don't be afraid to get them in a bidding war for your business
Old 04-23-2015, 06:14 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSVBamaBob View Post
*Exactly* Donald! The best rule of thumb I have been told is find out with the MSRP of the RV is and then deduct 35% from that - that should be your negotiating price. If you have a couple of dealers that you can access, don't be afraid to get them in a bidding war for your business

Oh lord the dealer must have saw me coming, I paid a little too much for my CC

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 07:13 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
There are definitely some 90K (and up) fivers out there. Depends on the dealership I guess. Just doing a quick search on RV trader for anything 75K and up and it came back with 97 pages of results.
LOL. Have you priced a few Class B's? These suckers break $90K no problem.

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 10000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 04:59 PM   #36

The problem with the bad quality you have to take it back to dealer who is dealing with tons of poor quality products and it takes 4 to 6 weeks to get your rv fixed.I talked to a independent rv repair facility he is so busy with the over flow,2 weeks to get the unit looked at and depending on parts could take 4 weeks to get parts.
linjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 05:01 PM   #37
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

All forest river dealers are independent

TURBS
2015 camping "2 nights"
Old 04-24-2015, 05:13 PM   #38

I think he meant an independent that doesn't sell RV's just repairs them.

To further expand on what HSVBamaBob said is that not all trailers are equal. You can find two or three on the lot and they'll all have different issues. After buying 3 trailers, when we buy our next one we'll take the time to look at the same TT somewhere else too. How often do you read about one guy having zero problems with fit and finish and then another complains about misaligned cabinets, screws put in crooked, etc. Every trailer needs to be looked at on it's own. It's not like looking a new truck where everything is built to the same specs.
goduc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 05:14 PM   #39
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by goduc View Post
I think he meant an independent that doesn't sell RV's just repairs them.

To further expand on what HSVBamaBob said is that not all trailers are equal. You can find two or three on the lot and they'll all have different issues. After buying 3 trailers, when we buy our next one we'll take the time to look at the same TT somewhere else too. How often do you read about one guy having zero problems with fit and finish and then another complains about misaligned cabinets, screws put in crooked, etc. Every trailer needs to be looked at on it's own. It's not like looking a new truck where everything is built to the same specs.
Gotcha

TURBS
2015 camping "2 nights"
Old 04-24-2015, 06:28 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinmaker View Post
LOL. Have you priced a few Class B's? These suckers break $90K no problem.
I have a buddy at work who wants nothing to do with a 5er - he is a Class C guy all the way and plans on buying a dynamax. If you have never seen this super class C take a look at this link (this is the model he is getting):

2015 Dynamax Dx3 37rb, Katy TX - 112579075 - RVTrader.com

I almost fainted when I saw the $200K Pricetag for a class C!

I can buy a brand new, fully-loaded Charlestown Motorhome for that (The Charlestown is FR's top of the line MH).

Tags
quality