Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-21-2015, 12:10 PM   #1
Old Member

Send a message via Skype™ to mikey
New Rv Quality vs Quantity

Is it just us or does it seem that quality has taken a back seat to quantity with the newer RV units. Our Creek (build date 4/28/12) has been (knock on wood) issue free for the most part, however, we do see a lot of issues on various forums with the late '13, 14 & 15 units. Most problems run from simple to complex in repair scope. Anytime a repair is warrantied, we the owners are forced to suffer the loss of access to our RVs while repairs are completed. I think this is a topic that should be addressed with Forest River at the FROG rally in August. I would be interested to see,hear from other members on this.

We don't know that this is our last RV (due to age issues) or not, but we will certainly be taking a good hard look at quality & warranty work histories for any manufacturer we consider before spending the kind of bucks needed to get a new RV. We are thankful that Forest River has such dedicated warranty sections, especially the group at Cedar Creek.

Mikey
Old 04-21-2015, 01:08 PM   #2

I would agree - actually I joke with the DW that we had such a good rig cause it was prepped for a Show at Hershey... But lately design changes seem to be towards faster, cheaper, quantity builds...
2017 Days Planned: 135

38FLCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 01:27 PM   #3

Yes, the quality continues on a slippery, downhill slope. I'm researching larger travel trailers and it's really sad. The fact remains that regardless of how good your warranty is, and how dedicated the personnel repairing your trailer are... If you have to take it back more than one brief trip, you're not going to be very happy. Not only that, but some dealers keep these units for months while the customers warranty twitters away. Why in the cat hair do we put up with this?

I'm lucky, I guess. I'm very handy and I fix everything on my unit. Most everything is fixed now, but I spent a lot of time on it when it was new. It was easier than taking it 100 miles back to the dealer, that is now 8 hours away after our last move. I have an unhandy friend that has a travel trailer, and I work on his more than mine... yes he's that good a friend... We're both looking to trade up to larger units, but when I look at them, I cringe because I know the price is bigger and the quality isn't. The fluff is there, like solid-surface counter tops, etc... but the same flimsy frame, barely adequate axles and bearings, China-Bomb tires, etc... etc... is all still there. The same rushed assembly with barely trained people, and with the cheapest materials possible is still there. It isn't just Forest River, it's all manufacturers.

If I didn't enjoy my time at campsites and on the rivers fly fishing so much I would forget these things existed. But, now I have 6 grand children to teach and enjoy, so I'm stuck fixing and replacing the junk they sling out.
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 07:59 AM   #4

I think the real issue stems from WALL STREET and the investor in the public holding companies that exist today. The CEO's and the board answers to the investors with the only concern being the bottom line and the next 6 months ROI.

I have seen this change in the last forty years as companies worry more about the bottom line and profitably always being the most important concern. Quality is in second place when the bottom line is at risk. Why is this? It is because of the consumer and what they are willing to buy.

Look at WalMart and where is most of their product is produce either in South East Asia country or China and we all know that this area are the leading low cost producer and quality does suffer.

If we are willing to pay more and buy a better built product for a higher price than the manufactures would produce them. But most consumers are looking for the lowest price instead of a will built unit.

Sorry for my RANT.
Old 04-22-2015, 10:10 AM   #5

My feeling is that it has to do with a couple things. Bottom line profits and now the surge in sales since we came out of the Great Recession. I would venture that units built in 2010-2012 were built at a slower pace by the cream of the crop workers. Now with things booming in the RV industry they're trying to keep pace with demand and are having to hire anyone that can fog a mirror.
goduc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 10:17 AM   #6

I disagree, i have a 2012 and it is not built very well.

Current: 2019 Sunseeker 2290S
Previous (2012-2016): 2012 Vibe 6501
1 Prospector Canoe, 2 Mtn. Bikes & 4 Hiking Boots
Happy Vibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 10:31 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Vibe View Post
I disagree, i have a 2012 and it is not built very well.
At your price point it's really entry level and the quality won't be there regardless. Any TT with an MSRP of around $18,000 will not be built as well as ones costing $1000.00's more. Spending more doesn't guarantee quality but it does get you into a unit built with better features. It starts from the ground up.
Old 04-22-2015, 12:26 PM   #8

I have to disagree with you get what you pay for . We spent 90k last year on our 5vr and have all kinds of little issues , like moldings falling off , doors coming apart at corner joints , door slide won't stay in track just to name a few . With the moldings coming off the wall you can tell they didn't even put any glue one it and to me it just goes to show they don't care how they are doing there jobs as long as it gets out the door and on to the next one . With this said its just a matter of time before all this will catch up to them and there will be no bottom line because the doors will be closed . They need to build a good product bottom line , it doesent take that much more time to take your time and do the job right the first time . For us to have to take the unit back to have these little things fixed is a joke and time out of our camping / fun and will I look at another manufacture next time , hell yes I will . If they are cutting corners on the little items I can bet they did on major items .
14 CC 38CK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 12:36 PM   #9

My only disagreement with this subject is I haven't seen much of a decline in quality of RV's in the past 20-25years. They were poorly built in the 90's and continue to be the same today. As a former Quality Assurance manager for many years, I simply shake my head and say--what were they thinking??????
2015 Ram Laramie Hemi, w/air suspension
30 years RV'ing
11 different RV's
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 12:41 PM   #10
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14 CC 38CK View Post
I have to disagree with you get what you pay for . We spent 90k last year on our 5vr and have all kinds of little issues , like moldings falling off , doors coming apart at corner joints , door slide won't stay in track just to name a few . With the moldings coming off the wall you can tell they didn't even put any glue one it and to me it just goes to show they don't care how they are doing there jobs as long as it gets out the door and on to the next one . With this said its just a matter of time before all this will catch up to them and there will be no bottom line because the doors will be closed . They need to build a good product bottom line , it doesent take that much more time to take your time and do the job right the first time . For us to have to take the unit back to have these little things fixed is a joke and time out of our camping / fun and will I look at another manufacture next time , hell yes I will . If they are cutting corners on the little items I can bet they did on major items .
WOW I don't mean to hijack but my neighbor bought a 2014 cc 38ck last year and paid $55,000 !
Explorer package and thermopane windows.

Lol did you buy a spare?

TURBS
08 duramax tuned n modded, 32bhok Sabre
2015 camping "2 nights"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 01:16 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBS View Post
WOW I don't mean to hijack but my neighbor bought a 2014 cc 38ck last year and paid $55,000 !

Lol did you buy a spare?

TURBS
2015 camping "2 nights"
I hope that $90,000 included the truck
Old 04-22-2015, 01:23 PM   #12

goduc for the size of my trailer it was at the higher end. The things that have gone wrong with my trailer are workmanship, wood just broken out to make holes , fittings that were damaged during assembly so water leaked, a whole vacuum cleaner full of sawdust from behind panels, the sound system hooked up wrong, one of the bolts in the back that holds the trailer on the frame missing etc.

Current: 2019 Sunseeker 2290S
Previous (2012-2016): 2012 Vibe 6501
1 Prospector Canoe, 2 Mtn. Bikes & 4 Hiking Boots
Happy Vibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 01:51 PM   #13
Site Team

There are definitely some 90K (and up) fivers out there. Depends on the dealership I guess. Just doing a quick search on RV trader for anything 75K and up and it came back with 97 pages of results.
Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 02:08 PM   #14

Quote:

Lol did you buy a spare?

TURBS
2015 camping "2 nights"
X2 Ron! We spec'ed out a 38RD with every option but a dishwasher (Yes, Full Body Paint, genny, washer & dryer, AND the Lippert levelers-the whole enchilada!) the price just was *just* over $71K.
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 06:30 PM   #15

It might be the area in which you live in to how the prices are , ours listed at $89k , sale price was $79k , but still having to spend this much money you would think they would do better at putting things together rather than half way and out the door . And yes we did get a spare Turbs . We spec'ed out one with what ours has and it was well over $90k . The DW wanted to try a 5vr and not another MH so I guess we have to do as she wishes .
14 CC 38CK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 06:35 PM   #16
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14 CC 38CK View Post
It might be the area in which you live in to how the prices are , ours listed at $89k , sale price was $79k , but still having to spend this much money you would think they would do better at putting things together rather than half way and out the door . And yes we did get a spare Turbs . We spec'ed out one with what ours has and it was well over $90k . The DW wanted to try a 5vr and not another MH so I guess we have to do as she wishes .
Very good ! Carry on! [emoji106]

TURBS
2015 camping "2 nights"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 07:28 PM   #17

14CK you need to call Jeff Couch next time. I was very happy with my experience. Local dealers have no lock on their market and who wants an RV that has been sitting on a dealer lot with the sleds out for 8 months.
Brentf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 07:35 PM   #18

I have a new Sabre TT and have experienced more problems over the past year with this unit than all problems we with three other TTs over several years. My unit is now at the factory for major redo on a problem list of more than a dozen items. The materials in this TT were great, but the workmanship and construction was beyond belief and it was shoved out the door without any quality inspection whatsoever. I think a couple of things have antagonized the problem. First, when the recession happened in 2008-09, many of the craftsman and skilled frontline workers found other jobs retired, etc. Second, when the economy began to bounce back, the demand for RVs ballooned and they focused mainly on quantity, not quality and had to do it with a less competent workforce. I still contend that the RV industry has remained in the 90s because there is not much new in terms of innovation or technological advance on major systems such as HVAC, appliances, suspension, tow & hitches, etc. It reminds me of the U.S.auto industry during the 70s.
magpi26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 07:38 PM   #19

I love RVing, meet lots of great people, and sleep in my own bed, cook and explore when I want.
After paying 40K for a TV and 45K for a 5er, at my age 8K would get me a nice cabin at a camp ground,seasonal for 10 years. I had sawdust in everything, entry stairs slanted down and out, many of the holes through the floor weren't sealed (had cooked squirrel for a hors'd'oeuvre), the rear window leaked - whole back end was replaced and other than resetting the nails I'm enjoying camping.
I bought with "stars in my eyes", I learned the hard way, don't sign until the sawdust is gone, windows show signs of sealant, the furnace runs for more than 30 seconds and the propane tanks are screened in (we pay more to look pretty).
Old 04-23-2015, 09:13 AM   #20

Quote:
Lol did you buy a spare?
TURBS
2015 camping "2 nights"
=============================

have to agree with you. I've never seen a Forest River $90,000.00 5th wheeler before. Any pictures..
billb800si is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
quality