Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-19-2016, 02:40 PM   #21

Wow thanks everyone! Yea we are very excited to get our champagne!
johnplank211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 03:35 PM   #22

Does anyone else have problems with the tankless hot water heaters? I've heard good things about them in regular housing, wasn't sure on the rv side of things?
Old 08-19-2016, 03:55 PM   #23

The real problem has to do with onconsistant water pressure. These things work best with constant pressure. If it flictuates like canmhappen when running off the water pump output temps will vary. Cost is another deciding factor. I just replaced my 11 year old Suburban sw10de water heater for a little over 400 dollars. A tankless will cost you more than that.
donniedu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 04:29 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKRITTER View Post
Shortly after purchasing our CC we had a major electrical issue with the 5th wheel. It was something called an open neutral. I called an electrician and he found it in the power cord that came with the trailer we then contacted the selling dealer and they said to bring it in, after it sat on their lot for weeks and weeks they finally (leaving a lot out here) tested the cord and also found the open neutral in the cord. They replaced several items in the trailer and sent the cord to FR as requested. apparently somewhere along the way the cord fixed itself because FR said there was nothing wrong with it. FR denied all repairs present and future to the electrical system.

Yes we looked at the legal process and decided it wasn't worth it to us. But I can tell my story every chance I can and hopefully dissuade someone. This is the last FR product we will ever own.

All of that said no matter which RV you purchase I would very strongly recommend an electrical management system permanently mounted inside the RV. Had we had this prior to the cord shorting out it would have caught it and we could have completely avoided all of this. We had a Surge Protector that plugged to the pole however the short was after that and it didn't do any good.

We bought and installed a Progressive Industries Portable Electrical Management System and have not had an issue since. Again I would strongly recommend this as a safe guard for your investment.

Lots of places sell them but here is a link to the companies web site.

Progressive Industries Portable Electrical Management Systems

Sorry to hear of the electrical trouble you had. I was almost in a similar mess but was spared by the Progressive EMS I installed just after buying our trailer this past March.

I installed the unit inside the trailer just after the plug. It shut off the flow of electricity when I plugged into the new generators I purchased. They were wired with reverse polarity at the 30 amp recepticals. I imagine all sorts of trouble would insue had that current been allowed through. I will never be without one. You never know what you will run accross when hooking up at a CG.

The other thing I will no longer be without is disc brakes on the trailer. The improvement they make is significant and should be offered on our Cedar Creek 5ers at the factory level. Well worth the investment!

Welcome johnplank211!

I hope you enjoy your trailer as we have ours!
DJNCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 04:34 PM   #25

Thanks DJNCJ!
Old 08-19-2016, 07:01 PM   #26
wls

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnplank211 View Post
Does anyone else have problems with the tankless hot water heaters? I've heard good things about them in regular housing, wasn't sure on the rv side of things?
mine works great
2008 Dodge 3500 Dually, Cummins. Amsoil Bypass Oil Filter, 36 Gal aux fuel tank. Mag Hytec Trans pan. Mag Hytec Diff Pan. 6 speed autostick. 3:73, Timbrens, Smarty JR. Equipped.
2016 Cedar Creek 38FB2, Hydra Star disc brakes,
400 watt Rich solar on top,200 watts of suitcase
wls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 07:34 PM   #27
jsk

We narrowed it down to Winnebago, Cedar Creek, and DRV (couldn't afford that one).

What did you think of the Winnebago? Did the build quality seem similar to the CC?

2012 F350 CC SRW 6.7
2012 Sabre 34-REQS-6
Old 08-19-2016, 07:44 PM   #28

Quote:
I had mine thrown out and a conventional tank put in here. It was/is just too undependable. Concept is great, execution is not good. Those who love it, usually have constant pressure where they are camping. Low pressure sites caused me to not have dependable hot water at all, mostly just cold.

I don't see how they'll ever work in campers where folks camp in such varying pressure sites.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 08:04 PM   #29

Yea I have good constant pressure here. Jsk, yes Winnebago is a lot like CC. From floors to walls and drop frame pretty much identical, except CC wraps the whole way under and has removable panels. Winnebago is great because they make pretty much every single piece of the rv right there. Furniture, kitchen stuff, aluminum frame (they have a whole aluminum factory on site), all the tanks and plumbing, etc. So if you ever need anything no matter how old they can fab it exactly how it was. Plus they have a very low complaint rating on better business bureau. Forrest river has a high one, but that's the whole company, and I know CC stuff is way better than all the low line laminated stuff the company puts out. We liked how CC made there for experienced people to work on, removable bottom panels and sliding doors in basement to access for maintenance, plus even the furnace can be access from outside which is nice. I would not have a problem with either one but we loved the champagne!
Old 08-20-2016, 09:08 AM   #30

I have a 2014 Cedar Creek 38CK. It has been perfect for us. I have installed a permently hardwired progressive system, 4 12 volt gell deep cycle batteries, and some very minor improvements. I would have liked to install a antenna booster or remote antenna for the rear view camera. I would also have liked to install a solar panel harness or system. I wish that I can install a remote tank level indicator panel in the valve compartment. The indicator panel is now just inside the door. None of these items however are major concerns. You will love dealing with the warranty dept in the event you actually have a problem. They go above and beyond as far as I am concerned. I would recommend spending the extra 250 for the extra year warranty from the manufacture
CTGREG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 09:45 AM   #31

Quote:
We love ours! It works perfectly in every CG and with the pump. We enjoy the endless hot water and no wait time between showers. We hear of all the so-called problems with them but we have never experienced any of them. Our next unit will definitely have a tankless.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 10:10 AM   #32

I have heard of too many problems with the tankless hot water heaters and the next camper I buy will not have a tankless. I'll buy one for my home but I'll never get one for a RV. There is only two of us and we don't need that much hot water. Besides the campground rate goes up every year and I'll let the electric heat my hot water

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 11:59 PM   #33

CC Shock Absorbers?

"Two problems I had..........rough ride, which I hope to have fixed with adding air bags to truck last month, and shock absorbers to trailer last week. Have not tried shock system yet, but will starting tomorrow."

What shocks did you add to your CC? I am interested in putting shocks on my 2014 36CKTS. Anybody else done this? Do they work?
thandel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 12:09 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by thandel View Post
"Two problems I had..........rough ride, which I hope to have fixed with adding air bags to truck last month, and shock absorbers to trailer last week. Have not tried shock system yet, but will starting tomorrow."

What shocks did you add to your CC? I am interested in putting shocks on my 2014 36CKTS. Anybody else done this? Do they work?
My brother added shocks to his trailer of about the same size. He noticed no difference in the ride/pull in the TV. But he did notice less items out of place in the trailer after a trip. So I opted to not add them to mine. Not enough bang for the buck.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cedar creek