Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-18-2016, 10:19 PM   #1

New to Cedar Creek

Me and my wife just ordered our second 5th wheel, but its our first Cedar Creek. Our first was a Salem Hemisphere 356 QBQ, possibly the cheapest put together in a hurry 5th wheel ever. We are crazy full timers in Pa, we've lived in the Salem 3 years longer than we wished we had (we only had it 3 years). We bought it new before we knew our bottoms from a wood taped covered foam board (which is everything in the Salem). So we really did a ton of research and driving up to 3 hours to check out different 5th's. We narrowed it down to Winnebago, Cedar Creek, and DRV (couldn't afford that one). We like how they all build their walls (not laminate), floors (not OSB or cheaper)etc. They all have a lot in common it seems, but I think what sealed the deal was the complete inclosed underbelly that has removable panels, little access doors, and all the things that make them easier for people to work on (at least it seems that way). They told us it will be about 2 months; I know the big RV show is coming up so it might slow it down, not sure if we should have waited till after the show before we ordered or if it even matters.

Is there any advice you fine Cedar Creek owners can give us, especially the full timers out there? We are planing on putting up a large RV carport to keep it from elements as much as possible when we don't have it on a adventure. This will be our full-time home so we wanted to last so we think this would help, opinions?

PS. How is the new Jensen JWM9A home theater system with split sound bar? I'm a big into home theater systems and hoping for some nice full action movie sound and possibly nice quality sounding music from it. Fingers crossed, but its Jensen so I'm not holding my breath.
johnplank211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 07:32 AM   #2

Which model did you order? We like our Cedar Creek, we have a 2015 32RL that's not made anymore . We have had a few problems but the only thing major was the front cap faded, Cedar Creek is replacing that at the factory. We wanted to trade this year when the new models came out but we have just installed a washer/dryer and a Trav'ler so we won't be able to trade for a few years. We like the model we have, just make sure your dealer is good and you won't have any problems that can't be fixed

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 07:38 AM   #3

Welcome to the forum its a great place to get your questions answered and share your experience
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 08:26 AM   #4

Shortly after purchasing our CC we had a major electrical issue with the 5th wheel. It was something called an open neutral. I called an electrician and he found it in the power cord that came with the trailer we then contacted the selling dealer and they said to bring it in, after it sat on their lot for weeks and weeks they finally (leaving a lot out here) tested the cord and also found the open neutral in the cord. They replaced several items in the trailer and sent the cord to FR as requested. apparently somewhere along the way the cord fixed itself because FR said there was nothing wrong with it. FR denied all repairs present and future to the electrical system.

Yes we looked at the legal process and decided it wasn't worth it to us. But I can tell my story every chance I can and hopefully dissuade someone. This is the last FR product we will ever own.

All of that said no matter which RV you purchase I would very strongly recommend an electrical management system permanently mounted inside the RV. Had we had this prior to the cord shorting out it would have caught it and we could have completely avoided all of this. We had a Surge Protector that plugged to the pole however the short was after that and it didn't do any good.

We bought and installed a Progressive Industries Portable Electrical Management System and have not had an issue since. Again I would strongly recommend this as a safe guard for your investment.

Lots of places sell them but here is a link to the companies web site.

Progressive Industries Portable Electrical Management Systems
Old 08-19-2016, 08:37 AM   #5

Thank you seadog. We ordered the 38EL with full body paint Spock 123. DKRITTER, I believe our has a electrical management system built in like a lot of new models are doing. After lots of research I found every manufacturer has horror stories from a few customers. So it seems like buy from a dealer that has great customer service and service department, and if they can't resolve contact cedar creek people directly. Heard a lot of great stories of them going out of the way to help their customers. Not sure how much disconnect there is between FR and cedar creek, haven't heard great things about FR, but CC owners mostly have nothing but love when it comes to their CC.
Old 08-19-2016, 09:14 AM   #6

We purchased a 2016, 34RL Cedar Creek and we love the trailer so far. Our dealer has been great and the only big issue we have had (and this seems to be common on a lot of trailers) was the Suburban stove pilot light. The dealer replaced the thermocouple but this did not resolve the issues. I finally fix the problem by bending the pilot light slightly.

Cedar Creek service people and their management have gone out of their way in resolving the LED puck light issue that they have had with some units. But you need to work with the service people and not the dealer.

I would buy another Cedar Creek if we need to purchase one in the future.
Old 08-19-2016, 09:46 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKRITTER View Post
Shortly after purchasing our CC we had a major electrical issue with the 5th wheel. It was something called an open neutral. I called an electrician and he found it in the power cord that came with the trailer we then contacted the selling dealer and they said to bring it in, after it sat on their lot for weeks and weeks they finally (leaving a lot out here) tested the cord and also found the open neutral in the cord. They replaced several items in the trailer and sent the cord to FR as requested. apparently somewhere along the way the cord fixed itself because FR said there was nothing wrong with it. FR denied all repairs present and future to the electrical system.

Yes we looked at the legal process and decided it wasn't worth it to us. But I can tell my story every chance I can and hopefully dissuade someone. This is the last FR product we will ever own.

All of that said no matter which RV you purchase I would very strongly recommend an electrical management system permanently mounted inside the RV. Had we had this prior to the cord shorting out it would have caught it and we could have completely avoided all of this. We had a Surge Protector that plugged to the pole however the short was after that and it didn't do any good.

We bought and installed a Progressive Industries Portable Electrical Management System and have not had an issue since. Again I would strongly recommend this as a safe guard for your investment.

Lots of places sell them but here is a link to the companies web site.

http://Progressive Industries Portab...gement Systems

If it was my camper I would still put a Progressive Industries unit in, I would put the portable one in, mined has saved me on more than one occasion. I would also install a TPMS on the Cedar Creek tires. Those two things a piece of mind, I guarantee you will never regret installing those two items

Old 08-19-2016, 09:48 AM   #8

What options will be on your new Creek? I would like to install solar on my camper

Old 08-19-2016, 09:58 AM   #9

Welcome our CC is fast heading toward 12 years old, and has been great so far. Yea, I have done a lot of upgrades and some repairs, but hey, 11 years and counting aint bad
donniedu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 10:14 AM   #10

We ordered the solar prep but not the panels. We might do that later. The champagne comes pretty loaded so we didn't need to add much.
Old 08-19-2016, 10:15 AM   #11

Thanks donniedu.
Old 08-19-2016, 11:42 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnplank211 View Post
Thanks donniedu.
Your welcome,
If you have any questions or want to talk about your new toy, dont heaitate to send me an email,or PM.
donniedu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 12:20 PM   #13

Sounds good!
Old 08-19-2016, 12:30 PM   #14

Welcome to the forum. We have a 2015 CC 38rd. Had a few problems. CC took care of some. I handled the others. Factory seems to be pretty responsive. Dealers are a crap shoot.
Rollingdunder1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 12:34 PM   #15

Thanks Rollingdunder1! Yea seems like having a dealership that will take care is hard to find, from every review I found of this place seems very good service. Fingers crossed
Old 08-19-2016, 12:57 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by donniedu View Post
Welcome our CC is fast heading toward 12 years old, and has been great so far. Yea, I have done a lot of upgrades and some repairs, but hey, 11 years and counting aint bad
I second this^^^^^^! I've got an 02 30RLBS and it's been great. As mentioned above, we've updated a few things along the way, but otherwise trouble free. At this point, my wife and I have no intentions of selling or trading up. It suits our camping needs just fine.
philobeddoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 01:14 PM   #17

Cedar Creek fan

Be sure to log into the Cedar Creek RV owners' forum. Google CCRVOC and introduce yourself. Browse around , ask questions. We have a very active and supportive group. I began to know people six months before attending our first CC rally. We are in Southeast Pennsylvania.
Gwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 02:23 PM   #18

we just bought our 2 nd Cc .this one is the Champagne will pick it up in 2 weeks at lazy days in Fl .our 1st one was a 38 FL ordered it from a local dealer good price but bad service.hope ths one is better with the service rv is very plush
wire1946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 02:26 PM   #19

Most of my quality issues have been in the cabinetry. Minor but annoying. I have rebuilt several drawers (glue them when the bottom shakes out). Some trim cracked from the shaking and the peninsula is cracking apart - once again from shaking and it is on the slide out. The residential fridge broke the platform it sits on, Cedar Creek has eliminated that platform now.
Brentf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 02:38 PM   #20

Bought new in May. Ordered it, took 7+ weeks, not bad. Bought from a wholesale type dealer (Couch's), and would never buy anywhere else. Saved a boatload. Warranty is overrated........sorta like last year's birthday cake, it ends before you know it and is worthless before you know it. Get a trailer that warranty is not your biggest concern.

Two problems I had..........rough ride, which I hope to have fixed with adding air bags to truck last month, and shock absorbers to trailer last week. Have not tried shock system yet, but will starting tomorrow. Tankless hot water system was awful and barely worked, if at all. Have had it replaced with 12 gallon conventional and now constant temp hot water is wonderful.

With those two problems fixed, our trailer is viewed as "We can't believe we actually own something this nice"............ I do realize some are lemons. I also realize mine could blow up tomorrow. But I doubt it, and I'm very tickled with this brand and this unit.

My three cents.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cedar creek