Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-12-2013, 10:56 AM   #1

Newbie and interested in Cedar Creek 36B4

Hi. I'm new to this forum and have a question for anyone who has a CC 36B4. Looking at getting my first 5th whl and like the 36B4 floor plan but would like to know if my truck is capable of safely towing it. Know it has the power but it is a SRW - 06 Chev 3500 CC 4x4 LB Duramax. Was looking at a toy hauler that was a bit heavier than the 36B4 and the salesman said it wouldn't be a problem. Don't exactly trust a salesman on that. Still need to get the 5th whl hitch and have airbags installed. Would want the W/D and all the options.
Thanks
Bob
IndyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 11:51 AM   #2
Full Timer

How much traveling are you going to be doing? I have the generator and WD up front and have pin weight of 4k .

Ford Western Hauler
2013 CC 36B4
life2short4nofun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 12:05 PM   #3

Quite a bit. I like to travel the country with stays of a few days to a week depending on locations. Plan to take a 3 to 4 wk trip out to CA to Redwoods. Would want the generator as well.
Old 01-12-2013, 12:56 PM   #4
Full Timer

I pull with a Western Hauler built for hauling, I met a guy pulling one with a 2012 CC shortbed with airbags and he said it pulled and handled great. I think you can do it, however you might want something different if you pull much.

Ford Western Hauler
2013 CC 36B4
Old 01-12-2013, 01:25 PM   #5

thanks for the info.
Old 01-12-2013, 01:40 PM   #6
Full Timer

If you have any other questions, about the 36B4 let me know I'll be glad to help, and might even be able to help you save quiet a bit of $. We did a lot of research and we love ours. I feel nothing compare to it for a quad bunk rig.

Ford Western Hauler
2013 CC 36B4
Old 01-12-2013, 02:40 PM   #7

Thanks, appreciate it. I've been doing a lot of research on bunkhouse 5ers and this one seems to be well built and liked by many. Been checking some on the Prime Time Crusader 360BHS too. Still in the searching stage but will check back with you on how to save $ on it. If you have info on difference btwn these two, appreciate that too.
Old 01-12-2013, 04:19 PM   #8
Full Timer

I couldn't find any info in the actual construction of the Crusader, (size of frame, axles rating, wall thickness, insulation ratings, ext.) but it is't in the same category of a CC I think a Silverback is better then the Crusader,

I am pretty bias, after all the research and traveling to factories, I fell nothing compares to the quality, and especially bang for the buck of a CC for a bunk model rig. I like the DRV Elite suites, for a better frame, axles and disc brakes,fiberglass roof but I find the 50/50 reviews from owners as far as problems and being taken care of, a gamble I am not willing to take, for a layout that is't as good as mine, and for 4x the price. I would like a bigger rig for more living room space, because we are fulltimers, I am thinking about having Continental Coach build me a monster, but I haven't fully wrapped my head around taking that project on.

Ford Western Hauler
2013 CC 36B4
Old 01-12-2013, 08:13 PM   #9

thanks, really appreciate the info.
Old 01-12-2013, 08:44 PM   #10

Ceder Creek 36B4

I was in your shoes when we purchased our 36B4 last year. We did a lot of research and finally signed the papers and picked up our 5er last December and could not be happier with our choice. We had the same truck as you and although it had all the power we needed to pull and seemed to stop the CC ok I had and issue with the sway from towing a 40 ft camper. After much additional research and a lot of anguish in selling and awsome truck I bit the bullet again and in July purchaded a 3500 dually. The rig is more stable now and the drive alot more enjoyable, with two young children sitting in the back seat I feel I have a better package to get us to our destination safely. Good luck in your decision and all your camping adventures.
Pitcrew18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 11:42 AM   #11

Thanks for the info Pitcrew. The possibility of the sway is one of my may concern's with a SRW. Hearing from someone who has pulled this size with a SRW is helpful. Appreciate the info from life2short..too. I'll have to think about that and maybe go smaller or possibly put dually kit on my truck for more stability.
Old 01-13-2013, 12:32 PM   #12

I pull a 2011 Blue Ridge 40' 5er with a dry hitch weight of 1,930 lbs, an unloaded vehicle weight of 13,159, and GVWR of 16,080. My tow vehicle is a 2008 Ford F-250 4x4 with the 6.4 powerstroke. I had a set of Firestone Ride-Rite air bags installed with in-cab controls. I've pulled it on several long trips and never had any trouble at all with sway. As long as I keep 50 to 70 psi in the air bags, it drives great. I try to hold the speed to 65, but sometimes have let it get as high as 75 going downhill and still didn't feel unstable. I keep a good set of Michelin load range E tires on my truck and keep them inflated to 80 psi. I don't think you would have a problem pulling with your SRW IF you have airbags. My truck didn't steer well at all pulling this beast before I added the bags.
2008 F-250 Lariat 4x4 6.4 Powerstroke
Firestone Ride-Rites w/cab control
mike06081969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 03:40 PM   #13

Thanks for the info Mike. After thinking this over more, I may just go with this size 5er and see how it does tow with the airbags and if needed, then add the dually kit. Not ready to upgrade to a new truck at this point and like what I have, which only has about 55K miles on it. I really appreciate the info from all and use it in my decission.
Old 01-30-2013, 01:47 PM   #14

Here is what I pull...

Indybob,

I have a 2006 GMC 2500 with a duramax diesel and allison transmission...pull a cedar creek 362bts with no problem. The truck rides level and has plenty of power. I did not need to add airbags. I am selling the camper now, you can go under the classifieds and see pictures of both the 5th whell and the truck hooked up.
lyonsden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 02:19 PM   #15

Thanks for the info Lyonsden.