Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-18-2014, 06:29 PM   #1
2015 Silverback/2014 F250

News to fifth wheels..SB 331K

We are picking up are new 2015 silverback 331k Dec 26th and we are excited.. The walk thru is a little scary does anyone have any suggestions what to look for?
chisumbella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 07:52 PM   #2

EVERYTHING. Ask questions about where everything is and take notes. Make sure everything is in working order. It is much easier to have it fixed before you leave.
You may want to search this site for lists which people have used when doing their walk throughs.

Good luck,
Don
dmdrj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 09:16 PM   #3

Congrats on your new Silverback! In you click on the Library tab above and look on the left side under 'Most Popular Files' and you can download a PDI checklist.

Like dmdrj5 stated above, check EVERYTHING. Bring along a nightlight and check every outlet. Check all switches and lights. Check the awning. Make sure heat/AC flows from each vent. Open every window, check every screen for any holes or torn places. Make sure the water is hooked up and check for any leaks. Check all LP appliances like water heater, stove/oven, furnace. Does the fridge cool properly. Look at the fit and finish of all cabinets, molding, etc. You get the idea, EVERYTHING no matter how small. I know it can be scary, even intimidating, but it's your hard earned money and you want, expect, and deserve to have everything working properly. Now that's not to say you won't find something wrong or not to your liking. Remember you are buying a mass produced item and things can go wrong. Have them fix it before you sign anything.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 10:02 AM   #4

Even after that, when you take it down the road, something will need attention. Do a local camping run before going off to Alaska or Mexico.
Sterlingsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 10:24 AM   #5
Always Learning

Use a PDI checklist. As mentioned, the Library on this FRF web site has one (if you're using the app, you need to come to the web site). Otherwise, here's a good one that I used twice now.

http://www.angelfire.com/trek/buenav...PDI_V113_2.pdf

I don't know that it was on the list, but make sure that you take a DVD (especially one that uses surround sound) and CD to test out the TV. Make sure they show you how to play the over-the-air antennae TV through the surround sound.
Old 12-24-2014, 11:32 AM   #6

Take a video cam with you and record key operational points of the walkthru/PDI (ie, how the often funky entertainment systems work on antenna/cable/directv/dvd/etc, how to light the stove, how the water heater functions on electricity and/or gas, explanation of how the slideouts work, how do you winterize it, how all the utilities like dump valves/filling the H2O tank/etc work, proper/safe way to hook up to the FW...........)
2001 Centurion Elite Bowrider direct drive
"Old water skier"
Jesus Christ my Saviour
kerrlakelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 11:47 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerrlakelover View Post
Take a video cam with you and record key operational points of the walkthru/PDI (ie, how the often funky entertainment systems work on antenna/cable/directv/dvd/etc, how to light the stove, how the water heater functions on electricity and/or gas, explanation of how the slideouts work, how do you winterize it, how all the utilities like dump valves/filling the H2O tank/etc work, proper/safe way to hook up to the FW...........)
Now this is a good idea, you are going to forget how to work something and the generic manuals are not going to help. Remember there is no stupid question. Make sure they demonstrate how to retract things like slides and stuff. Also X's 3 take the list from the library and use the items on it that pertain to your camper. Also tell the salesman to let you try it by yourself after he tells you how things work. If you can camp close by the first night and tell him if you find anything and I'm sure you will that you will be back to have it repaired before you drive it all the way home. So that way if it nothing that has to be ordered and simple repairs they can make room for you the next day....Good Luck

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 01:54 PM   #8

Agreed on all the previous posts, especially on the concept of insisting that you do the thing they're showing you. Hands on learning is the best.

Ours came with a whole pile of loose manuals for the various components. We took an accordion file and file folders and sorted them by component (refrigerator, slides, etc). We keep in in the unit. With all the info on this forum and the Internet, the manuals are of limited value, but they have come in handy at times, especially if you're out camping somewhere with no bandwidth. Invest in a good generic RV repair book too.

Ask them to open up the access panels that the sales people don't show you, such as where your hot water bypass valves are, wiring, plumbing, tanks, etc.

Congrats, merry Christmas, happy camping and happy new year!
NeedMoreLeisureTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 08:56 PM   #9

Might I suggest you take digital photos of all of the controls and features. A digital video camera also works well for the walk through. The photos and the digital video should be put into a binder with written description of each operation to serve as reminder for the features and operations. Also have them show you the resets for all of the circuit breakers including those found on the electrical busbars when the the electrical connections are made. This is especially useful when you are trouble shooting the hydraulic slides or levelers.
CTGREG is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fifth wheel, wheel