Old 08-20-2013, 08:58 PM   #31
Former Full Timer

As promised. Here is the link to the latest Goodyear RV info...
http://www.goodyearrvtires.com/

Elbert Hubbard
Duckogram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 10:57 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckogram View Post
Here's more from Michelin. Most dealing with Class A's but some RV multi axle application as well.

https://www.michelinb2b.com/wps/b2bc...s_Brochure.pdf

I'll work on the updated Goodyear specs as they are the ones that are on most of the units in this section.

BTW, Michelin speaks directly to why you should not just run your tires at max cold pressure.

Do whatever you like. Unlike vehicle manufacturers who give specific pressures for their vehicles for different loads and tire sizes, I have never seen a recommended tire pressure for any fifth wheel. All we have is a maximum sidewall pressure and tire manufacturer's load ratings for their tires at different pressures.

Indeed, Michelin does speak directly and the dangers of under inflation far outweigh those of over inflation. They say to me, run the highest pressure consistent with even wear and acceptable ride, up to the maximum sidewall pressure.

I'm no expert but this is what makes sense to me and all I can say is I've been running two sets of the much maligned Marathons this way for the past 11 years with no tire failures. Touch wood.

I also abide by the 65 MPH max speed rating for ST's

Old 08-20-2013, 11:25 PM   #33
Former Full Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by notsosan View Post

Do whatever you like. Unlike vehicle manufacturers who give specific pressures for their vehicles for different loads and tire sizes, I have never seen a recommended tire pressure for any fifth wheel. All we have is a maximum sidewall pressure and tire manufacturer's load ratings for their tires at different pressures.

Indeed, Michelin does speak directly and the dangers of under inflation far outweigh those of over inflation. They say to me, run the highest pressure consistent with even wear and acceptable ride, up to the maximum sidewall pressure.

I'm no expert but this is what makes sense to me and all I can say is I've been running two sets of the much maligned Marathons this way for the past 11 years with no tire failures. Touch wood.

That's all good and Goodyear recommends, as a "Special Consideration", that you do exactly that. However, there is one thing that everyone agrees on, that is under inflation is bad. So with that in mind, go ahead and pump em up. LOL
Elbert Hubbard
Old 08-21-2013, 10:53 AM   #34
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by notsosan View Post

Well I am an expert (at least the lawyers think so). I suggest you look at the placard or certification label on your RV. Most trailers have a sticker attached to the outside front left side with stated tire size, axle ratings and tire inflations.
I write a blog on RV tire application and safety and give seminars on tires at RV events across the US. 40 years experience as tire design & quality engineer for major tire mfg. Freelander 23QB on Chevy chassis is my RV
RV Tire Safety Blog
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 02:04 PM   #35

You're right, mine gives the max sidewall pressure on the tires it came with D's. If I used Goodyear's load chart, I could have gone 15 PSI less and still had a safety margin at GVWR. I have since gone to E's and run them at 80. I don't see much point in going to a higher capacity tire and running at the same pressure and load rating as the old ones.

On Edit

Looked at the charts again and running 20 PSI less than the recommended (sidewall pressure for the original D's) would still give me a 1700 lb cushion at the trailers GVWR, using 20% of gross for a pin weight. Using the recommended 65 PSI gives a load capacity of 20% in excess of the trailer's placarded GVWR.

Based on that, I think matching a charts load rating pressures to your trailers actual weight is a mugs game. Seems this trailers manufacturer did as well.
Old 08-22-2013, 09:15 AM   #36

Gimmick! Seems a little harsh. Nitrogen is has been found to be very effective on the "racing" circuit. It is expensive, awkward, and totally unneccesary for the average RVer. Air has been working just fine since the inception of the pneumatic tire. My 29RE picked up a nail within the first 100 miles. I had no qualms refilling with air!
w/Duramax & Allison Trans
gkeager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 09:53 AM   #37

I had about 2000 miles on a set of tires on my tt and all went bad. Pressures were fine and everything was aligned right. One had a bubble the other three were worn on sides. Replaced all for with new tires at my expense. Nothing from tire company they said it was my fault. Four bad tires at once?
2013 so far 48 days
geodavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 10:12 AM   #38
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckogram View Post
Here's more from Michelin. Most dealing with Class A's but some RV multi axle application as well.

https://www.michelinb2b.com/wps/b2bc...s_Brochure.pdf

I'll work on the updated Goodyear specs as they are the ones that are on most of the units in this section.

BTW, Michelin speaks directly to why you should not just run your tires at max cold pressure.
These are not trailer tires. Big difference. Running trailer tires at max sidewall pressure decreases rolling resistance and thus reduces the heat generated. Who wants to go to a scale every time you use the trailer to determine tire pressure?
Old 08-22-2013, 06:59 PM   #39
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Who wants to go to a scale every time you use the trailer to determine tire pressure?
Excellent point.

However, while looking closely at my tires recently (see my "bad day" thread), I discovered that by setting all four tires to the same inflation pressure for the load (plus 5 PSI for speed rating) has had an interesting side effect.

While the aft pair show even wear across the treads, the front pair have center tread wear. That means the pressure I am running (for speed rating) is correct for my aft tires, but too much for the front pair.

Next trip to the scales will get a "per axle" weight check. Most likely I will be running the front two with 5 PSI less than the rears.

These Marathons now have 28,000 miles on them and are still have better than 50% tread life remaining. Out currently on a 7600 mile cross country site seeing trip.

(for the MPG dudes, 3600 miles to date and 11.5 average MPG)

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 08:35 PM   #40
Former Full Timer

Both the Michelin and Goodyear references for RV tires that I posted links for specify how and discuss why you should follow manufacturer recommendations.

Here is a quote from Goodyear:
"Inflation Pressure for Uneven Vehicle Weight Distribution: Select a tire with load carrying capacity designed to handle the maximum load point For each axle determine the correct inflation pressure needed for that size tire to handle the maximum load Inflate all tires on that axle to this same inflation pressure."

There appears to be a lot of confusion associated with this topic. It is most likely caused by the vast difference between light weight trailers running ST tires and being towed by 1/2 ton or SRW vehicles vs larger and heavier Cedar Creeks with 1 Ton DRW TV's.

As for the subject, tire inflation with Nitrogen vs Air, it appears that personal preference and thickness of wallet is the guiding factor.

For those of us for whom this section is dedicated and who run the OEM Goodyear G614 LT tires, inflation to 110 psi may not be the best idea as the load carrying capacity of our tires exceed the GAWR for the trailer unless you upgraded to 8k axles or the MorRyde IS.

Elbert Hubbard