Old 08-15-2013, 10:32 PM   #1

Nitro fill tires

Can anybody tell me how you like them and do you have to put more nitro in them we bought a new cedar creek last September haven't check them yet !

Old 08-15-2013, 11:02 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy 54 View Post
Can anybody tell me how you like them and do you have to put more nitro in them we bought a new cedar creek last September haven't check them yet !
imo more smoke and mirrors than substance. I have 'nitro' filled tires and I will not 're'fill them with it if my psi is low.... to me, 'air' is fine.
Should You Fill Your Car's Tires With Nitrogen?

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 11:10 PM   #3

Air has 78% Nitrogen anyway's. Seems like a gimmick to me too. I didn't even think about it when I replaced my tires.
2008 Harley Davidson Road King 105th Anniversary
(2011-5 bad year)(2012-40)(2013-45)(2014-23)
Road-King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 11:21 PM   #4
NELA

We were told we could *not* put plain air in our 2011 F150 EcoBeast...for two years we believed that.

When we picked up our TT the tech noticed our rear tires were a little low. DH asked where the nearest nitro source was and he said....I'll just put some air in 'em. Say WHUT? Yep, sure 'nuf....we were lied to. He topped 'em off with air and that's the way they still were 'til we traded it in on our 2013 F250 Super Duty a few weeks ago.

I think it's dang inconvenient to not be able to locate anything open late at night but a Circle K for a low tire. Ain't likely to find Nitro there.

BTW, no green stem caps on the 250.

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 11:23 PM   #5
NELA

(chuckle) Ex used to put Freon in a tire with a slow leak. It does very well expanding as the tire heats up....keeps the tire up until you get to a place to either change the tire or get it fixed.

Freon...another one of those heavily regulated things these days.

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 11:30 PM   #6

X2, more like snake oil. Save your money or spend it on another camping gadget where you will get some value. This is what Edmunds.com has to say on Nitrogen filled tires ==> Should You Fill Your Car's Tires With Nitrogen?
Old 08-15-2013, 11:37 PM   #7

Yep!
Save the money!
Use the money you will save and buy an onboard compressor for the truck and never need to look for a circle k for air ever again!
Lynkage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 11:37 PM   #8

Location: Northern Wisconsin during summer, Snow Bird in Gulf Shores, AL
Assume you are talking about using compressed nitrogen to fill your tires rather than air, is that correct ?

My only experience with compressed nitrogen was using it to fill our race car tires and to pressurize our shock absorbers on the race car. Nitrogen has better heat transfer properties than compressed air, no water vapor and on a molecular level the molecules are slightly larger and therefore less prone to leakage thru a tire membrane. Since our racing was in the off road series filling the tires with nigrogen was not that much of an issue due to the short duration of our races, however the lack of water vapor was improtant with the shocks. We filled our tires and shocks from a cylinder obtained from our Air/Gas supplier, used an adjustable regulator to drop the cylinder pressure from 2000 psi to 400 psi to precharge shocks.

Seems to be common now days to use nitrogen to fill car and trailer tires, for an additional cost. Have heard of a number of tire dealers offer nitrogen fills as an option. Of couse once you have filled your tires with nitrogen you need to keep using nitrogen to prevent contamination. As with compressed air you do have to check pressures and add as needed. Also availability on the road would be an issue, easy to find an air compressor but not so for compressed nitrogen.

Bottom line, tires should run cooler with nitrogen, how much cooler might be hard to quantify. Then there is the question of the availability of compressed nitrogen. Don't think I could justify the additional cost.

Have a good day.

Dave
emtdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 08:50 AM   #9
Former Full Timer

When you put the tire on the rim it is filled with air. Unless someone is mounting tires in a nitrogen filled room or using a vacuum to vacate the air (not feasible) there is a percentage of plain old air in the tire to begin with. Nitrogen did nothing for this leaker...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1095078420.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	37869  
Elbert Hubbard
Duckogram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 08:56 AM   #10

When the 'tire tech' puts the tire on the rim...... does he suck out every bit of 'air' from the tire (collapsing it) in order to 'refill' it with 'nitro'? No he does not, so the dang thing is mostly 'air' to begin with. Just another way to suck greenbacks out of your pocket.

Pass on the gimmick

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote