Old 01-19-2015, 08:08 AM   #11

As Turbs already said, did you check to make sure water is in the tank by opening the pressure relief valve?

Let’s get the issue of the red switch that says tank heater out of the way. That switch turns on the 12 volt heating pads on your holding tanks and has nothing to do with the water heater. The purpose is to help keep your holding tanks from freezing in cold temperature.

Since this is your maiden voyage there is a high probability that you don’t have water in the water heater. If there isn’t any water in the tank and you turned on/off switch on the outside of the water heater you have probably burned out the element and it will have to be replaced. This was the electric option for heating water.

You can still get hot water using the propane option of the water heater. That would be the black switch with the word water above it and heater below it. Turn on the propane to your trailer by opening the valve on your propane tank. Purge the air out of the propane gas line by lighting a burner on the stove. If this is the first time you’ve used the stove it might take a minute to purge the air. When I do this I turn on the stove burner and then hold a flame to it until it lights.

Once you have propane in the line turn on the water heater switch. After a couple of seconds the DSI/FLT light will come on and stay on while the DSI tries to light the burner on the water heater. Once the water heater ignites the DSI/FLT should go out. If there is water in the water heater you’ll have hot water in about 15 minutes.

Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_2201.JPG
Views:	183
Size:	290.4 KB
ID:	68614

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 08:23 AM   #12
Site Team

Have you had time to read the link I added in post # 7?

Ducks are just all-terrain chickens
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 09:16 AM   #13

I think you all have identified the problem. I think I had a bypass valve set incorrectly. I had all valves open and based on the photos you all sent I see that one valve between the hot water lines and cold water lines needs to be closed. I am waiting to see if the water gets hot now. Thanks - will let you know the results.
Old 01-19-2015, 09:17 AM   #14
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

It happens.
Good luck.
make sure you open the pressure relief valve to purge the air.
Old 01-19-2015, 09:18 AM   #15

Thanks so much for the info about the red switch inside and what the dsi switch does. The problem is solved thanks so much - I can take a shower now!!!!
Old 01-19-2015, 10:03 AM   #16
Site Team

Glad the OP got his hot water working!

I just had to comment on the photo of the bypass valves.

Just talking about the middle valve here--
The white text in the photo is miss-leading. It says the valves are shown in the "normal" positions. That is correct for hot water.
It also says to --close the bypass valve-- when winterizing.
That is not correct. As we know you open the center valve when winterizing so the pink stuff can bypass the WH tank and close it in summer so water has to pass thru the tank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post

EDIT: Here is a pic of how you want your bypass valves to be. The cold water inlet and hot water outlet valves are open (handles turned parallel with lines), and the bypass line valve closed (handle turned perpendicular to the line). It's also possible you may only have one or two valves instead of the 3 pictured.

To make sure there is water in the heater itself, go outside to the water heater and flip up the pressure relief valve lever (near the top of the heater) and see if water comes out.

1999 Suzuki Intruder Motorcycle
Blue Ox WD hitch, AirLift load levelers

Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41,
2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 10:18 AM   #17
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyDan View Post
Glad the OP got his hot water working!

I just had to comment on the photo of the bypass valves.

Just talking about the middle valve here--
The white text in the photo is miss-leading. It says the valves are shown in the "normal" positions. That is correct for hot water.
It also says to --close the bypass valve-- when winterizing.
That is not correct. As we know you open the center valve when winterizing so the pink stuff can bypass the WH tank and close it in summer so water has to pass thru the tank.
I noticed that too, Dan. However it was the easiest pic I found on the internet using google to post showing the valves in the proper position for the question at hand. I have thought about actually downloading it and seeing if I can do an edit to it.

EDIT: Not my best work, but did it easily using microsoft paint. LOL
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	newwater heater edit.JPG
Views:	125
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	68621  

Ducks are just all-terrain chickens
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 04:54 PM   #18
Site Team

Old 01-21-2015, 03:57 PM   #19

Thanks so much for this photo edit. I am going to print it and post it inside my utility bay so I do not have this problem again. You are terrific!!!!

Tags
hot water, water