Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-11-2017, 08:35 PM   #1

Not Unhitching Fiver -- Level???

Every trip so far, I've unhitched the trailer every night, but we will be leaving shortly on a longer trip. When in a long drive through, where I don't need to unhitch, what do I do?

Level with blocks and not use the 6 pt system? Use the system on "autolevel," might lift the truck, or on manual from inside where I don't see what is happening to the truck?

I know I need to be level to put out the slides, and I need them out overnight to access the fridge, and enjoy the evening.

What do you pro's do?

BuzzWolfAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 08:52 PM   #2

depends on where you stop?

At Wallmart I try to find level ground and or slight downhill, since my nose of the trailer is slightly nose high... slide out only the slide I need, slide it back in when we go to bed!!

Other than that I'm not there long enough to worry about it!
N6ZCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 09:06 PM   #3

If just literally 'overnighting' I drop the front legs to take the weight from the back of the truck, push out the bedroom slides (which for us are at the back of the trailer) and then leave it at that.
i wouldn't use the auto level while still hitched up because the first thing it does is to drop the nose of the trailer which could damage the truck.

Richard & Diane
2014 Cedar Creek 38FL
2016 F350 Lariat CC DRW
Retired Metropolitan Police (UK)
Hutch333id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 09:11 PM   #4

The frig will be ok overnight. If your on halfway decent ground run the slides out. I never put jacks down for an over nighter. Run the fronts down it you want to stabilize.
ER17453361 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 09:13 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ER17453361 View Post
The frig will be ok overnight. If your on halfway decent ground run the slides out. I never put jacks down for an over nighter. Run the fronts down it you want to stabilize.
Makes sense, thank you.

Old 10-11-2017, 09:13 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutch333id View Post
If just literally 'overnighting' I drop the front legs to take the weight from the back of the truck, push out the bedroom slides (which for us are at the back of the trailer) and then leave it at that.
i wouldn't use the auto level while still hitched up because the first thing it does is to drop the nose of the trailer which could damage the truck.
Makes sense, thank you.

Old 10-12-2017, 09:04 AM   #7

When i do not unhook I drop the front jacks then because my 38EL is nose high I drop the back jacks and lift the rig so it is level. It is much easier living in a level rig than something uneven I also open the slides
corn flakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 01:00 PM   #8

The 1st auto-level 6 point does is drop the nose 3". LCI manual states to not use it while hitched.
Don't forget to pull forward when unhitched as I saw that 3" do a job on a tailgate and rails of a new Ram. To make things worse his wife said no one would notice. He turned red with anger while other nearby turned to hide the chuckle at that comment.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 01:34 PM   #9

My unit is a 2012 and my Level Up can be operated manually from outside. I lower all 6 hydraulic jacks until they touch the ground. Then, I carefully adjust the level of the camper without jacking up the truck. Works great!

2012 Cedar Creek 36CKTS Touring Edition
2015 Ford F-350 CC DRW Lariat
Joe_GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 07:56 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ER17453361 View Post
The frig will be ok overnight.
That would depend on how unlevel the camper is when hitched. IF the reefer is on a side wall then the fore/aft level is critical. If mounted on a side to side wall, then the side to side level is critical.

Too much out of level with the reefer running can cause the fluid to back up in the cooling unit as it falls from the top to bottom in some very shallow sloping tubing. It then forms blockages at the bends which can Never be removed without changing the cooling unit. (expensive) Or replacing the entire unit (More than Twice as expensive)

My suggestion is to make sure the reefer is relatively level (doesn't have to be dead nuts on) to prevent it from being ruined. and YES, overnight can be long enough to damage it.
Old 10-13-2017, 09:02 AM   #11
Dryflycaster

Hello,

Sorry to sort of Hi-Jack this thread while offering no useful information.

But:

I have responded to multiple threads on the forum with replies but have never started a new thread. I now have a need to start a thread but no matter where I search throughout the forum I can not find where to do that.

Could some kind member please advise me as to where I go to start a new thread on this forum ?

_bill

2017 RAM 2500 Cummings Diesel
2017 Forest River Avenger 27DBS
dryflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 09:22 AM   #12

New Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by dryflycaster View Post
Hello,

Sorry to sort of Hi-Jack this thread while offering no useful information.

But:

I have responded to multiple threads on the forum with replies but have never started a new thread. I now have a need to start a thread but no matter where I search throughout the forum I can not find where to do that.

Could some kind member please advise me as to where I go to start a new thread on this forum ?
Scan the list of forums (and lists of sub-forums) and open one that looks appropriate to the topic you want to start. When you open you will see a listing of existing threads. At the top left is a block labeled "New Thread". Click that and you can start your new thread.
2 Old Town kayaks & 2 Boston Terriers - Zoey/Gonzo
Lar & Ruth
CNYCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 09:45 AM   #13

Having it level. Does that apply for residential refrigerator also
corn flakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 01:38 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by corn flakes View Post
Having it level. Does that apply for residential refrigerator also
somewhat but not nearly as critical. A residential reefer has a compressor that pumps freon.

An RV reefer uses an ammonia water system and relies on convection to raise the liquid to the top of the cooling unit and gravity to bring it back down to the bottom of the cooling unit. It is that return to the bottom, back and forth as it falls slowly that can cause the problem if unlevel from left to right as you look at the front of the reefer.
Old 10-14-2017, 06:14 AM   #15

If my rig is really out of whack the frig won't run. But most places I stop I was close to level. But I drop the front jacks to take weight off the truck then drop rears to level. Usually that is all it takes...In the morning just hit the Raise all Jacks and jump in and drive....
My Steelpony....2007 HD Ultra Classic...done up in a memorial to the 343 firefighters who died 9/11
Never Ever Forget....yes I was a Volunteer FF for 20 years........
steelpony5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 09:42 AM   #16

I have done it both ways when just staying for a night. A lot depends on how level the site is and if the site is long enough. I do not worry about the frig in the trailer when hooked up to the truck. I have had three fivers two with the RV style frig and now the Cedar Creek with the residential frig. If the trailer is level enough when towing down the road for the frig than it is level enough in the camp ground for the frig to work attached to the truck.
I also will un-hitch and level the trailer if this is the last night in the camping season and I need to winterize the trailer. I like to make sure that all of the tanks are as empty as possible so I level the trailer to do this.
Old 10-17-2017, 08:39 AM   #17

Traveled x country 5 years ago with 36 ft Keystone, triple slide. Never unhooked once traveling. Even during a Texas blizzard on way back. ( same truck we have for our Silverback. ) once or 2x most, ran one side up on yellow blocks.
Being "exactly" level is over rated.
Disclaimer: we stayed at RV parks listed on line. NEVER stayed in rough terrain parks such as a state park "could" be. At that time: standard pin box.
SilverbackMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 09:41 AM   #18

Sometimes we don't unhook for the night, if I don't need to buy any diesel and we are just staying for one night. I just put the front jacks down to take the weight off truck and then put out slides. I don't worry about being level, we have a residential refrigerator.
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hitch