Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-28-2013, 04:54 PM   #1

Observations of first trip

We've had this unit for a month and towed it a total of about 75 miles. This trip was just up the road a bit to see how everything worked. First off, stupidity strikes. I knew this trailer is 39' long, but I bought a 25' water hose. So we're using the fresh water tank and pump this trip, which works fine except the flow rate is low. Next trip, a 50' hose.

My overall impression is disappointment in the build quality. Interior trim not tacked down or loosening; door tracks not screwed down; outside storage door not mounted correctly. Doesn't anyone at Cedar Creek know how to use a vacuum cleaner? Every cabinet contains wood shavings.

We have found that even 2 A/C units have a tough time coping with southern Arizona heat. We have a 15K A/C in the kitchen and a 13.5K A/C in the rear bedroom. And it's not even hot yet; only in the upper 90s this week.

Truck does fine towing this trailer. Weighed yesterday we gross at 20240 with half a tank of fuel and 3/4 tank fresh water and two adults. The truck weighs 8000 with people and full fuel. I'm still adjusting the built-in brake controller, but it's close. We get a clank from the hitch on braking and aggressive take off, but otherwise the trailer seems to float along behind us. Truck sits level with 30 psi in air bags, but the trailer is just a bit nose high.

A pleasant surprise was the effectiveness of the sculpted nose on the Silverback. The truck is a short bed SRW, but I tried backing into a 90 degree jackknife and had plenty of room. I think the corner of the trailer will hit the side of the cab before it hits the rear window. But with the pin box out over the bed rail, I'll have to watch that.

Overall, we're happy with it and making a list of modifications. Next stop is back to the dealer for some minor fixes.
mike2wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 06:27 PM   #2

It sounds like your dealer didn't do a proper prep on your Silverback, it's part of their job. New trailers will shake out wood dust and shavings on the way to your dealer from the factory.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 06:57 PM   #3
Certified Curmudgeon

From experience... Think about 3 x 25' hoses. One for a spare when (not if) one breaks.

The sawdust appears to be a trademark CC thing. The dealer should have vacuumed it out of the cabinets and storage compartments but you will find more in the crevices behind things and in the belly when you have to adjust things.

The A/C efficiency can be improved by making reflective panels and placing them behind the shades on the sunny side. Slide out toppers and awnings help as well.

Hope this helps.
Old 05-28-2013, 07:27 PM   #4

Typically you have MORE water pressure from your inboard pump than the city water connection. If your disappointed with the flow at the faucet heads, wait until you hook up to the campground city water hookup. It will be far worse when using a regulator. Your choice is to either remove and drill larger holes in the rubber washer 'limiter' in the faucet heads or remove them completely. Second, I'm surprised how light your diesel tv is....only 8000lbs with passengers and full fuel? My F350 pushes 9200lbs for a short bed SRW with fuel and passengers. So far it seems that you've had issues with fit and finish on your trailer. Well, welcome to RV World. I swear the employees late for their AA meetings when they slap these units together. The underside cabinetry and storage belly of The Beast looked like a parakeet cage with all that sawdust. Mine is a 2010 10th Anniversary edition(whatever that means) and they applied a raised fancy 10th Anniversary decal to the outer wall right under the grab rail for the world to see and guess what?? They stuck it on UPSIDE DOWN!! I'm apprehensive in peeling it off 'cause I'll prolly remove the Creekside lower paint in the process. Repair what you can, modify the rest, and above all chill out and enjoy the summer.
1986 Marriage to "Wifey" (patience of a saint)
rattleNsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 07:36 PM   #5

The first thing I ordered for mine was a new 25ft hose and a a 50ft hose. I don't know if you got a 30ft - 50 amp extension cord and a 50 amp to 30 amp adapter cord yet. These come in real handy I have had my camper out 4 times this year and needed the adapter 3 times and the extension cord 3 times also.
Sawdust keeps seeping out of the crevices on mine also maybe by the end of the season we will get it all swept up.
How do you like the front living Silverback? We seen some other brands that were front living but not in a Silverback. I went with the Silverback 33rl and really like it. We are planning on moving next year and living in it a while until we find out where we might want to settle down.
kc8lvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 07:39 PM   #6
Plain Old Member

Sawdust is a trademark of the whole RV industry. Be glad that's all you found. I got cut outs from roof and floor, wires, screws and on and on. Clean up and move on, it's normal. As long as you have no structural issues or water leaks, I'd say you've done great. A few cosmetic issues are easy fixes. Pay over $100k for a motorhome like our previous, and you'll get the same issues. As for AC efficiency, we use the reflective bubble wrap stuff in most of the windows. All vents have cusions in them, skylight is painted and insulated with rolled and bubble wrap insulation. See my photo album for that one. All make a world of difference. And one more thing you can try that's mentioned again somewhere else on the forum, is insulate your return air boxes from the top side. Nothing between return air and outside heat but thin sheet metal. Remove AC cover on top of RV, spray adhesive, and put precut pieces on all sides of that box on the forward end of the ac. you could do the same to the inner side of the box If you unscrew and open it up. You'll be surprised how much these little things will drop the temp.
2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 10:10 PM   #7

Thanks for the tips on the hoses and the air conditioning. I've taken measurements for the window awnings; they're on our list of modifications. We're lucky that our problems are mostly fit and finish. I thought we had leaking slide out hydraulics, but it hasn't leaked since I cleaned up the mess. This is our third RV and, so far, has the least problems. We like the Level Up system; it simplifies set up. I'm undecided about the power awning. It's very easy to use, but it doesn't have the flexibility of the manual awning.
Old 05-29-2013, 10:28 PM   #8

We became fans of the rear bedroom this trip - it's huge! There's room for some additional furniture back there. We don't like the dining room table, but the problem is having two entry doors. When sitting at the table, which is screwed to the floor, we block the main door. We're still thinking about how to modify the dining arrangements. We also have that loud annoying whine from the refrigerator.
Old 05-29-2013, 10:59 PM   #9

New Silverback in use.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	camping.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	24.2 KB
ID:	31700  
Old 05-30-2013, 02:58 AM   #10

Nice looking outfit you have. There have been a few topics on here about the fridge noise and how to quiet it down.
Have fun
kc8lvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 04:23 AM   #11

They all have saw dust in hidden places and with each trip, saw dust will work it's way out of the cracks. After over a year, sawdust is still working it's way out behind the television entertainment center in our Sabre. This is our third 5th. wheel and today will pick up our fourth 5th., wheel, a 2014 Cedar Creek. One Thor three Forest River products, they ALL have sawdust. I have my shop vac ready because this afternoon after the PDI, I will be vacuuming saw dust after the 150 mile ride home. Even if the dealer does a good job cleaning it, after travel, saw dust will appear. A given.

ret2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 12:30 PM   #12
Full Timer

I don't know what hitch you have but my Reese 26k I had to adjust it because our CC was a little high in the front. It was simple 4 bolts.

You might think about putting a 3rd air on the rig that will take care of the heat issue.

With the never adjust brakes on the trailer they seem to change, mainly if I have to stop hard the next time I stop the brakes are to strong and I have to back them off some.

Like was said when we had our small things at first it sure beats having big problems like some people have with there new rigs. I have met several people who has had there new rig in service more then at there house. The heartland landmark next door right now has had to have a new roof, flooring torn out he said it was in service 6 months in the first year. Made me glad I bought a CC

Ford Western Hauler
2013 CC 36B4
life2short4nofun is offline   Reply With Quote