Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-11-2015, 10:04 PM   #1

Ohh well, here we go!

2015 33rl, under warranty.
Silverbackmel is still smiling today even after seeing my Silverback 33rl in PAIN! We got back from 3 weeks in Florida around January 3rd and on the 4th, took my rig to the mountains and winterized it not expecting to go back until mid March.
Well, I forgot to bring our gifts from Christmas from under the bed. So, DW and I made the 120 mile round trip to gather the STUFF....

While leaving, I did my usual slow visual of the unit. Low and behold; 2 1/2 inch hairline crack through the gel coat on the refer side slide. It came from something not good. Looks like it may have received stress from the refer on the inside wall. So, here we go. Going to test all of the accolades I have been giving Cedar Creek Division for being responsive.

This is not a dealer prep issue rather, something that went array structural. I will not be satisfied with any gel coat repair job without some sort of extended future warranty for reoccurrence. Some experienced person is going to have to remove stuff, like refer, from inside wall and see what stressed the siding. I think I MAY be looking at new panels for that slide out. UGH! Not happy.

I realize Forest River does not generally follow these comments, however, in the morning, I will be a calling . I will let you all know how my progress and repair prevails.
SilverbackMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 06:15 AM   #2

Yikes! I hope all goes well for you.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 09:43 AM   #3

Hope CC/Silverback takes care you and the issue.
Wiscampsin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 12:07 PM   #4

Already in touch with decision makers at Cedar Creek. Working on a place closer to home for repair. I MAY be fortunate because we have a HUGE rv dealership known for quality and customer service 5 miles away from the house. They repaired my previous Keystone fifth wheel blow out damage that was $3,200. I traded that rv with full disclosure and dealer was pleased with the excellent repair job.
Hopefully, they will work with FR. We shall see....so far, so good 😀still smiling....FR already said they would stand behind the issue and make it right.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 01-12-2015, 01:00 PM   #5

The key in repair/replace panel is going to be "what caused the stress crack. If cause isn't corrected, you could encounter the same problem in the future, out of warranty. I've seen a lot of fiberglass repairs that look great.

Good Luck

Tom
tomrob1161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 04:59 PM   #6

Jeff Holmes Warranty Administrator, Forest River Inc. Cedar Creek Division
Ph: 260-593-4000
This gentleman fixed me right (2014 Silverback 29IK) up. I'm very happy with FR's Warranty service Dept.
Remember: "A Picture is worth a thousand words" so when you have problems take photos as I do (Phone camera) This will give you a history and will save you lots of time explaining the problem.
One last thing: Trailers are subject to the same Lemon laws as afforded to autos, at least here in Florida it does. so it's two strikes on the same issue and you can make the dealer uncomfortable with the idea of having to buyback his product.
Eliminate the rest
Zoo1392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 06:21 PM   #7

The new Silverback warranty person is Cory Germann. Denise Davis is now running the service department. Already have good dialogue started. I feel like I am in good hands.
Will keep everyone posted. Already received a commitment to do whatever it takes to make it as new.
Yes, photos are crucial. A point for everyone, when/if you have an issue, make arrows and show the exact area. It helps them zero in on the problem and resolution.
Old 01-21-2015, 06:40 PM   #8

Well, here is an update. My 2015 Silverback has been inspected and approved for repair. During the walk around pre turn in damage inspection, the dealer service administrator thought my cap may be fading on the top. They are repainting it and new decals along with the gel coat repair. Should have it back at the end of next week.
Forest River has been nothing short of first class with these issues.
RV World of Georgia in Buford is a great rv dealership. They are doubling their already huge service center and sales offices. Fortunate to live 5 miles away!
This will end my comments on this topic as I had severe damage on my 2011 Keystone as a result of a tire issue and they made it new. I anticipate the same on this go round.
Safe travels.

Old 01-21-2015, 06:43 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverbackMel View Post
Well, here is an update. My 2015 Silverback has been inspected and approved for repair. During the walk around pre turn in damage inspection, the dealer service administrator thought my cap may be fading on the top. They are repainting it and new decals along with the gel coat repair. Should have it back at the end of next week.
Forest River has been nothing short of first class with these issues.
RV World of Georgia in Buford is a great rv dealership. They are doubling their already huge service center and sales offices. Fortunate to live 5 miles away!
This will end my comments on this topic as I had severe damage on my 2011 Keystone as a result of a tire issue and they made it new. I anticipate the same on this go round.
Safe travels.

So glad to hear good news on here for a change - hope it exceeds your expectations !!!
heavynlori is offline   Reply With Quote