Old 08-16-2013, 01:42 PM   #11
It's a tough decision. Whatever you decide; do yourself a favor and drive all three. We went with the 2012 F-250 because torque (800 lbs) and horsepower (400) were noticeably stronger than the competitors.

Very happy with our decision; however, another consideration is that the F-250 is the most stolen vehicle in America at present, so based on where you live, your insurance rates could be affected. HLDI news release

We already have nearly 58k miles on the truck; all trouble free. We'll probably step up to a one-ton F350 next time around...

Whatever you choose; airbags would be a good investment for a rig that big...

Scratch sends...
'12 nights camped: 12
'13 nights camped: 24
'14 nights camped:
Scratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 04:11 PM   #12
Former Full Timer
Originally Posted by TheSasks View Post

I think you are refering to this tranny.

Starting in 2014, Ram 4500 and 5500 chassis cabs carry a standard Aisin AS66RC (also optional on Ram 3500)
You are correct... My typo and failure to proof read. It is the Aisin (Toyota) 6 speed HD transmission that is available with the Cummings.

The recipe for perpetual ignorance is:
Be satisfied with your opinions
and content with your knowledge.
Elbert Hubbard
Duckogram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 04:44 PM   #13
You are going to get so many 'right' answers with this one for sure. I say go drive the big 3 and see what you think. I don't think there's really a bad choice between them now. They all may have their good and bad traits but I have friends with BIG 5th wheels and between us we have almost every combination of make, model and bed length. 2500's and 350/3500's. No one has any problems pulling for sure. Off course there are trade offs with fuel mileage, options, hitch types(sliders), and the like. Me, I have an '08 350 long bed crew cab with the 6.4. I love it. I looked at them all and this was the truck I liked and could afford. Tows great. Bought used with 74k on it. Yes the newer 6.7 gets better mileage but I simply could not afford go up 2 years newer to get it. I would have bought a Duramax no problem and I don't think you can beat the Cummins motor but I just don't like how the Dodges looked from the model years I could afford at the time(sorry). As I say. You will get a lot of different answers.
2013 Sandpiper 365SAQ
2008 Ford F350 Super Duty
6.4L Powerstroke Long Bed CC
5erDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 07:53 PM   #14
Former Full Timer
Cost? Is this not the Cedar Creek section? LOL
The recipe for perpetual ignorance is:
Be satisfied with your opinions
and content with your knowledge.
Elbert Hubbard
Duckogram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 08:03 PM   #15
Everybody always seems to like the brand they have so you have go by your own wants and likes. You can't pry me out of a Ford with a crowbar though. I would get a 1 ton no matter how you go.
2012 F350 Lariat CC SRW 6.7L Powerstroke
pwrstroke2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 01:49 PM   #16
Ford makes a more comfortable truck, nicer interior better drive and handling. But nothing will out pull a Cummins Diesel, had 22 Class 8 Dump trucks with Cummins L10 engines. Lost only one in 12 years and that was because one of my mechanics changed the oil and forgot to put the new oil in. Still ran about 15 minutes with no oil before it blew. Had a 2012 Ram 3500 Dually with 6.7L Cummins Auto when we were still traveling.
jblackjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 02:00 PM   #17
I think it really comes down to colour. Go with what looks best in your eyes.
Lily the Yorkie
2015 Dodge Ram Sport 1500
2015 Crossroads Zinger ZT28BH
Rugged Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 02:17 PM   #18
I ended up with a Ford but started after a Chevy because I wanted to try the Allison transmission for towing.

Dodge in HMO has let their name go to their head and are trying to payoff the loans they took out in record time.
I have no problem paying for what I want but Dodge is way overboard price wise.
One dealer told me if I did not buy it at their price someone would.

Goodbye Dodge!

I dislike chrome (maintenance) Chevy does not sell a package that does not have it.

Goodbye Chevy!

Ford had no problem with selling me a PU the way I wanted it (no chrome)

I paid about $20,000 less for the Ford than what Dodge was asking for theirs.

I bought a 2010 because it is the last year without DEF and I think it is the last year with cast iron heads.
2016 F350 6.7L LB CC Reese 28K 2014 Chaparral Lite 266sab
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." 2014 19 days camping 2015 17 days camping201620 days camping
Ford Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 02:51 PM   #19
All you will get here are opinions. Ford guys love Fords, Chevy guys love Chevys, etc. Why not test drive all three, crunch the numbers, form your own opinion, and buy what the two of you can agree on.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 03:18 PM   #20
All I can offer is this. A camper backed 28' RV over a parking block into some soft sand. When he tried to pull back over the parking block, he spun the rear tires and got his rig high centered on the concrete block. A neighboring camper brought his Dodge 2500 4WD over to pull him out. Couldn't budge the RV. I took my F-250 4WD and pulled the RV up and over the parking stop with little effort. So was my Ford stronger than the Dodge? Probably not. I just knew what I was doing. I remembered to lock in my front hub.... Actually I think the major 3 brands are all pretty good when set up correctly for the type of towing they will be doing. I own a Dodge and a Ford, and I know one is just as good as the other. Don't know much about the GM brand, other than I see fewer of them in campgrounds towing stuff when compared to the other two. I have heard that the GM product gets better gas mileage, but I don't know that for a fact.

"Full Timer" with "Boon Docking" in the desert southwest being my drug of choice. Well, that and really cold beer.
Patches is offline   Reply With Quote

35qb4, dodge