Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-16-2015, 03:30 PM   #1

Angry Our Queen Size Mattress is sinking

On our 2015 Cedar Creek model 34RLSA, when we lay down on our new Donald Trump mattress, we felt like we were rolling into a sink hole. We lifted the storage base cover under the mattress only to discover that it had a 2 1/2" bow right in the middle. We are not heavy people and wonder what the bow would be like if we were heavier. The storage base cover is made of 1/2" fiber board and spans 45 1/2". Previously we owned a 2011 Cedar creek that had storage base cover over 1" thick. Fiber board has very little load carrying strength in the horizontal position especially when spanning 45 1/2". There are 2 lift cylinders under the board to assist in raising for storage access, but they don't add strength. What we are wondering is, are other Cedar Creek RVers having the same problem?
rworz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 03:55 PM   #2

If it's still under warranty, shouldn't the dealer replace the board, which is obviously defective?
Old 03-16-2015, 03:59 PM   #3

In your case I would Take it to the Dealer and have them deal with it. I would also insist on better than 1/2 inch fiber board. You payed a lot of money for quality and the quality is lacking y the sound of what you've stated. Hope you have good luck with everything else.
Old 03-16-2015, 05:26 PM   #4

On our 30RL Cedar Creek the bed base fell apart, it just collapsed. The whole thing just fell apart, it was fixed under warranty.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 07:44 PM   #5
SnP

We ordered our 2015 34RLSA with the Trump King. We haven't had any issues during the 8 months that we have owned it. They did upgrade the base cover for the King mattress. But since the RV is in the storage lot, I don't know thickness of it.

I agree with everyone else, it's still under warranty and dealer should repair it.
Camped - 2014-47, 2015-104, 2016-100, 2017-161, 2018-94
SnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 07:44 PM   #6

Ditto. We had ours fixed at last year's Rally. Bed is GREAT....framing area BAD! We are good now....
SilverbackMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 09:38 AM   #7

Had same issue with our king Trump bed...When new I noticed frame was weak, so I screwed/glued an upright 2x4 under/across the full width of the base panel around the hip area of bed. Been fine since then.
Old 03-17-2015, 10:03 AM   #8

Our king bed had a weak and broken support under the bed. I had asked the dealer to fix it but I won't see it until this weekend when I pick it up. Bottom line the platform is too weak and one small 1x2 strip of wood is not enough. I will explore replacing it with a full sheet of ply wood not sure on what thickness.
SKGCRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 10:37 AM   #9

I'm not a Creeker, but do have an FR product with the storage platform bed. We are putting a custom mattress built to suit my wife and I from Verlo in, so I did a little work on the platform after seeing it was constructed only with 1/2" Ultralight (lightweight plywood). While plywood in itself is plenty strong, it deflects. I ended up putting a solid maple edge band of 1x2 along the three edges of the piece forming the platform's "hatch" to the storage below the bed to stiffen the edge immensely. I put a rabbit on the 1x edge to totally finish off the plywood edge and provide great surface area for glue. Used some Titebond II and 1-1/4" air-driven finish nails to mount and stained to match. I then removed the piece of 1x4 No. 3 pine that was laid on its flat as support (realize dimensional lumber has little support in this direction) mid-span and replaced it with two lengths of 1 1/2 x 3/4 x 1/8 steel C-channel bolted to the plywood. I pocketed the base frame so that the channels bear onto it was well. The base on ours was pretty well built. Oh, FR simply used a piano hinge fastened between the fixed portion of the plywood platform and the hatch portion with short screws. I added maple cleats below each hinge leaf and screwed the hinge down so that screws passed through the plywood and into the maple every other screw hole. Rigid and solid now! I'm 6'-5" and 280# with a old back injury I have to be conscious of and the bed matters!
Old 03-17-2015, 04:51 PM   #10

Geotex...I couldnt picture half of what you just wrote but it sounds great. I'll bet you can put a ton on it and it wouldn't sag.

2012 F250 Super Duty
2013 Sabre 33CKTS
BuckeyeChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 04:58 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeChuck View Post
Geotex...I couldnt picture half of what you just wrote but it sounds great. I'll bet you can put a ton on it and it wouldn't sag.
I'm sure, and I do believe a picture is worth many, many words too. Problem is, I broke my smartphone, or more correctly my DW broke it, and am waiting for my warranty replacement!

If I remember, I'll post a follow-up picture but I guarantee it'll hold all four of my godchildren jumping up and down in-sync!
Old 03-18-2015, 05:26 PM   #12

We too are having issues with our Donald Trump king mattress sagging in the middle. Our dealer originally put a 2x6 in the middle but that didn't fix the issue. They (Serta) are replacing it. FR does not warranty the mattress. Now I am wondering if it is the frame that is the issue. I sure hope not. If it is I will be fixing it myself. I can't believe that companies would take shortcuts like this just to save a buck. Seems like it would cost more in the long run to fix it under warranty. Jerry.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 03-31-2015, 11:22 PM   #13
Old Member

Send a message via Skype™ to mikey
We have a '13 36CKTS with a sagging bed. Will talk w/ CC about it. We probably need to change the 1/2" MDF to 3/4" ply with 2x2 or 2x3 ribs that span across that 45" span. Our lift struts lasted about a year and a half before they pulled out. Reinstalled using T-nuts & machine screws vice the original wood screws.

Mikey