Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-23-2015, 12:44 AM   #1
ImGoneCamping

Panel control identification

I have two questions that I hope someone can help me with.

First, does anyone know what the "Tank Heater" switch is for? It's the only red switch on the panel. I'm guessing it's heaters to keep them freezing but it doesn't indicate which tank its heating. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1440308529.881215.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	90.0 KB
ID:	86586

Second, my water heater isn't coming on with gas or electric. Breaker is on, panel switch is on, and the switch located on the outside directly on the water heater is on. I'm guessing there is a chance that the gas line is clogged AND the element is burned out; keeping either from working. But I'd like to know if I'm missing something.
MichaelDStark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 07:15 AM   #2

Yes, the red tank heater switch turns on the heating pad on the fresh water tank, the black tank, and both grey water tanks.

Since your unit is a 2012 model, I’m guessing you just bought this RV used. If so, there is a high probability that your water heater is still in bypass from winter and there is no water in the water heater. Easiest way to check to see if you have water in the tank is to open the pressure relief valve. If water comes out that’s good, if no water comes out then you don’t have water in the tank.

Here’s a link to a post that shows what position the valves on the back of the water heater should be in for normal operation. http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...elp-80316.html Look at post #6 for an image. That image also shows what position the valves should be in for winterizing the Silverback.

BTW, if there is no water in the water heater and your turned on the electric element you probably ruined the element and you will have to replace it. Your water heater should still work on propane though.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 09:03 AM   #3
ImGoneCamping

There has always been water in the tank. I woke up this morning to hot water. I can only assume that turning a couple of switches off and on a few times fixed a connection. I also assume that the gas didn't light because it knew there was elec. available. Thanks for the tips with the tank heater light.
MichaelDStark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 09:17 AM   #4

Pop your pressure release on the water heater to see if there is water in the heater tank. If yes, then its in the winter mode as described on previous post. If that tank is empty, element may be fried.
I thought mine was, but as it turned out, was fine.
You can check gas line by turning on your range. If good there, you have gas flowing!!
SilverbackMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 03:01 PM   #5

Your very top left switch turns the gas on the water heater. The red light will come while trying to light. After three attempts the light stays on till you cycle the switch to help purge the air out of the line. In your picture it is off so you would only have electric heat to heat the water.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
arpipeliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 06:59 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelDStark View Post
There has always been water in the tank. I woke up this morning to hot water. I can only assume that turning a couple of switches off and on a few times fixed a connection. I also assume that the gas didn't light because it knew there was elec. available. Thanks for the tips with the tank heater light.
The gas and electric are totally independent of each other. You can select both or either one independently.

Tags
cat