Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-20-2019, 11:56 AM   #21

When we pick up our 34IK in early June, we will be doing our 4th PDI & the 2nd on a 5th Wheel. This one will be the most comprehensive because it has a lot more stuff in it to check. We're in the process of putting together a check list based on several we found on the forum and our own experience. We'll share it when we are done, but would love to see what others have used,

We expect it will take at least 3 -4 hrs or longer because I will be bringing along with me, the queen mother of all PDI inspectors, my wife
SimchaSabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 12:16 PM   #22

Also...for those who may not know, Forest River operated a huge PDI facility in Goshen, IN and requires all manufacturers to send a sample of units there for evaluation. We've toured this facility and was very impressive. They even put it through a high velocity wind and rain chamber looking for leaks.

You can request to have your unit sent to the PDI plant, but it will delay it a few weeks. I've attached a few pics.

I've also been through the Cedar Creek plant and I can tell you they do a lot more testing on each unit than the 3 or 4 other plants that we've toured. Ex: plumbing, electrical, seals, etc.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	194.jpg
Views:	1099
Size:	262.5 KB
ID:	199202   Click image for larger version

Name:	190.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	244.1 KB
ID:	199203   Click image for larger version

Name:	191.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	204.7 KB
ID:	199204   Click image for larger version

Name:	193.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	273.3 KB
ID:	199205   Click image for larger version

Name:	195.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	299.3 KB
ID:	199206  

Old 03-20-2019, 12:57 PM   #23

One more comment...Before we chose Cedar Creek for our next RV, we actually popped in the PDI plant to ask them which 5th Wheels they see the least amount of quality problems.

I was good to hear that all Forest River products are manufactured to very high quality standards so it didn't matter which one we picked. So now you all know too.
Old 03-20-2019, 01:08 PM   #24

Every dealership isn't trying to rip you off and get stuff by you. Sure it is important to do your due-diligence before delivery, but to go in with a suspicious attitude at the onset can come back to haunt you in your future dealings with them...and you will have future dealings with them. Our dealer offers a special discount in their parts/service department for three months after purchase. Due to the way I approached our relationship, this discount has been offered for the two years I kept my Vibe TT.

When I decided to go with the Columbus Compass, I didn't hesitate to go straight back to them to purchase. My new washer didn't work after delivery and they helped me work with Whirlpool to get service out to our property without having to bring the unit back in...an hour away. If service couldn't handle it, they were prepared to purchase another washer. If you want your repairs to take a couple of months or more; go ahead and act a butt. If you want to be treated with kindness and dignity; build a relationship from management down.
Lake5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 03:38 PM   #25

We purchased our current motorhome on a whim - traded in a F250 4 x4 and fifth wheel mid vacation 5 hours from home. We never did a PDI. Just camped nearby in our fifth wheel for 2 days packing the fifth wheel up while they got the moho licensed and ready. They set us up in the back lot door and helped us transfer from one to the other. Away we went spending one more night on the way home then it was time for winter. Out she came the next spring and all was good. We've never been back to the selling (or any) dealer. What needs doing DH does. Hopefully you are as lucky

Phil, Heather & Olaf the Boxer
Ontario Canada
Lexington 283GTS
oldsmasma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 04:24 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chillaxin View Post
Our new 2020 CC 34IK came in on Monday. (Ordered as a 2019.5 in January, but VIN is 2020). The promised 'we'll call you when it gets here' call never came, but then, on one of my drive bys, I saw it had just arrived, so I stopped, went in and asked if that Cedar Creek out there was mine. Yes, it is! (FINALLY! Over a week late due to Mid West weather)

I asked to do a 'walk around' of it. Filthy dirty from the 2300 mile trip didn't stop me. I've seen dirtier Nothing missing; no visible damage; all exterior doors opened and closed; etc. but found one loose trim piece. They had the key handy so inside I went. Everything looked to be okay...slides were in but everything we'd ordered was installed.

Both of us went back today, did a more 'thorough & detailed' exterior walk around and, since the 'cleaner' was in side, the slides were open, the fridge was on, the a/c was on, etc. Found 3 small items that need repair and added them to the 'list' for service to get on on the service checks.

Went inside the dealership to sign the purchase order and have them fax that and the MSRP sheet to the credit union to get on the rest of what we owe them.

Our 3-4 hour, PDI walk-through isn't scheduled for 9 days from today. We'll get and hold on to the check for the balance owed until AFTER we turn on and inspect everything and WE are happy with it. They won't be rushing us through this process.

Our advice is to remember you've paid a lot of money for a beautiful new coach. It's exciting and you want to 'get it out camping', but do your due diligence and make absolutely sure that you do your best to check it out thoroughly before signing, giving final payment and driving it off.
PLEASE!,,,PLEASE!,,,PLEASE!,, make them Immediately wash the undercarrage completely. If they delivered on salt encrusted roads you will have major frame rust and other issues very soon down the road. If you have aluminum sides the salt will actually eat holes in it. From a vet.eran camper.
Lee Pedrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 03:31 PM   #27

Or you could do what I did last year buying my 2018 34RL2. Due to CC being backed up and about 2 months late I eventually asked dealer if I could drop off my trade before new unit arrived due to storage issues. They said sure, so when I dropped off they had all paperwork completed to finalize the deal! I wasn't expecting that but decided what the heck I was going to buy it anyways. So the deal was done and money exchanged 3 or 4 weeks before delivery. I did have a good feeling about this dealer even tho it was first time buying from them. It all worked out great with probably the best prepped RV we have ever purchased and after first year still no warranty issues. I do not recommend this! Just did what I had to do given the circumstances. They sold my trade before new unit came in
cub22908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 04:26 PM   #28

I don't intend to have an attitude with the dealer at all.
This dealer has a suspect history with service work. I don't choose to experience or become part of their poor service history. So, I will protect, as best I can, my "investment".
I think it will work out fine. Once the change of ownership takes place I will use a FR dealer closer to home to take care of any warranty work or repairs I can't make, which will be very few.
Old 03-22-2019, 09:41 PM   #29

When I bought my 29ik, did the PDI. My dealer scheduled an appointment two months out to fix those items and any things I found during the two months.

Went in with a list of 15 minor items, dealer kept the unit for a week and all items were fixed.

It all depends on your dealer. Mine was/is great.

BuzzWolfAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 10:17 PM   #30

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Many comments on the Dealer looking after you. Sadly we had to overlook both Cedar Creek and Columbus as options due to the Dealers. Up here we have very few dealers within a "buy local" area of 200 miles.
I applaud Forest River for doing the PDI at a separate facility, other manufacturers do the same thing.

Nothing will change in quality unless piece work is stopped. This is the single biggest issue at all manufacturers.

We were at a Trailer Show tonight and this was a Cedar Creek Hathaway basement, top of the line. The electronic control system open so something is not right.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4982.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	254.2 KB
ID:	199404
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 03:49 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by B and B View Post
Many comments on the Dealer looking after you. Sadly we had to overlook both Cedar Creek and Columbus as options due to the Dealers. Up here we have very few dealers within a "buy local" area of 200 miles.
I applaud Forest River for doing the PDI at a separate facility, other manufacturers do the same thing.

Nothing will change in quality unless piece work is stopped. This is the single biggest issue at all manufacturers.

We were at a Trailer Show tonight and this was a Cedar Creek Hathaway basement, top of the line. The electronic control system open so something is not right.

Attachment 199404
That is the InComand control board which is usually covered up by a hard cover which allows access for maintenance or manual overrides. Must have been left open either by oversight or to show it off.
Old 03-23-2019, 06:37 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by B and B View Post

Attachment 199404

This is perfectly normal for a Show, they take the cover off for two reasons, to demonstrate the over ride feature in the event of a panel failure and people will steal the covers. People are wonderful, they will steal everything they can out of the units at the show, drawer and cabinet hardware is a big one. Stereos have been stolen, Slide crank handles and anything else than isn't bolted down or removed. That's another reason why the sales people are a pest.
2020 Cedar Creek Hathaway 34IK, Reese 19K Sidewinder PB.
Daycruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 06:58 AM   #33
Site Team

There is nothing wrong with piece work if it is managed correctly. My Dad owned a factory that operated under piecework for over 40 years. Any issues caught a final inspection went back to that operator for correction on their dime. There was very little rework. Also if an operator had to miss an hour or two for a doctors appointment they would stay 2 hrs late to compensate. Admittedly there was a different work ethic then.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 07:25 AM   #34
Broken Toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcrossan View Post
PDI or pre delivery inspection is done, theoretically, before one takes delivery of the rv unit. My dealer told me today that we can come pick up our unit, a 34IK, do our inspection and then take the unit home, or on a trip. If we find items that need repair, "make a complete list" of the things that need attention and then make an appointment to bring the rv in and have the items repaired. The dealer rep also told me that they get backed up sometime out to 2 months so we couldn't leave it there and have it repaired before leaving the dealership with it.
Seems backwards to me but I don't buy one of these every year!
What say you?!!!

Tcrossan
And when do you think the dealer is going to be more responsive... Before or after they have your money? Do not accept any unit, nor give the dealer any money till you are satisfied with the PDI. You dont buy a dozen eggs with three cracked ones and expect the grocery store to replace them later. You find a new dozen that has none cracked.

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 08:52 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
One point the dealer made is correct. They are backed up and your unit can sit for months awaiting repair when you bring it back. That is the only true statement. Do a thorough inspection when you go to pick it up. Make sure the dealer knows that you are not going to sign for it/take it if you find issues. Have them demo everything works as it should. The problem with take it and use it then make a list and bring it back is warranty work does not pay as well as standard repairs. You will go to the back of the line and could be months without you unit. If they have to repair it before they get their money they will put you at the top of the list. Once you sign you lose you leverage. They want their money . If you are not comfortable fixing it yourself don't sign anything until it is right.
Totally spot on advise if I have ever seen it.
captnrick3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 10:29 PM   #36

We Can't find time to pick up the trailer for 2 more weeks. Dealer rep texted me today and wanted me to come in before month end and pay for the unit and said "that way when you get here to pick it up the process will go much faster". Also it's better for their business. My reply was, I'll pay in April after my PDI and everything is satisfactory to me". He wasn't happy.
Old 03-29-2019, 12:16 AM   #37

I have a 2019 Dynamax Isata3 with some issues we missed in the PDI. The dealer (Desert Autoplex RV in Mesa, AZ) has done nothing in the past three months since I sent them my punch list. The good news is that Dynamax is stepping up to the plate and allowing me to bypass the dealer and use my local shop to handle the problems.

The day after I talked to Dynamax, someone at the dealer called me to find out what was going on. After I explained the problems, he was going to check and call me back. That was a week ago and he never called back.

Four years ago, I bought a new RV from Lazy Days Tucson and all was well initially. It turned out to be the RV from hell. They thought I might have bought it from the Florida store and didn't want to work on it. The outside pane of driver's side window shattered and they told me it was my fault, handing me a card for an RV glass company. I talked to the glass guy, who looked at the window and told me it was manufacturing. After months, I traded it back to Lazy Days, took my lumps financially and bought a used RV. Five months later, they called to tell me that the window was in! I won't even attempt to have my Isata3 worked on there and I certainly won't buy there again.
kjburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 04:41 PM   #38

Quote:
We Can't find time to pick up the trailer for 2 more weeks. Dealer rep texted me today and wanted me to come in before month end and pay for the unit and said "that way when you get here to pick it up the process will go much faster". Also it's better for their business. My reply was, I'll pay in April after my PDI and everything is satisfactory to me". He wasn't happy.

That's about right, your sales person wanted their commission and credit for the sale in March. They also didn't want to pay anymore flooring costs on your unit. I like the "testicles" they have, pay us and maybe we'll fix all the issues later. I would have uttered a few more choice words for them.
2020 Cedar Creek Hathaway 34IK, Reese 19K Sidewinder PB.
Daycruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 05:09 PM   #39

Yeah, he even suggested that the PDI is only for the dealer. The customer is not part of the PDI process. I think this guy is a rookie. And doesn't have a clue. That's why I kept referring to MY thorough inspection when I responded to him. ��
Old 03-30-2019, 10:29 AM   #40
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Quote:

I don't know...

But I think I would find the time to go pick up my new RV if the dealer called and said it was in.

Maybe that's just me, though...

JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pdi, warranty