Old 12-14-2017, 02:19 PM   #1

Pin and Weight Distribution Question

I own a new Champagne. I have a large storage area located to the right of the entry door and before the raised portion of the fifth wheel that sits on top of the truck hitch.

My question: about how much, if any, of the storage area adds to the pin weight? Would I be right in assuming that the heavier items in storage should be pushed back toward the entry door so that they are closer to the axle? Or does the storage area not contribute significantly to pin weight?

Old 12-14-2017, 02:22 PM   #2
Pickin' & Campin'

Most 5er front basement storage areas can have a significant impact on pin weight. (and consequently payload on the truck)
And yes, the heavier stuff should go toward the axles if at all possible.

TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.
Days Camped: '15=22 '16=46 '17=30
5picker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 02:28 PM   #3
Head Rambler

Anything forward of the wheels increases the pin weight. How much depends on location and weight. The closer to the wheels you get the less effect the weight has on the pin.

For example; theoretically if you loaded 200lbs half way between the wheels and the pin, it would add 100lbs to the pin and 100lbs to the wheels. Conversely, if you added that 200lbs 1/4th the way from the wheels it would add 150lbs to the wheels and 50lbs to the pin.
Old 12-14-2017, 02:48 PM   #4
Fulltime family RVer

IMO, the way to not guess is to just load it up and take it to a scale. Weight it once, go find an out of the way spot to park and re-arrange the storage. Weight it again. See if the difference is notable enough to warrant worrying about it.
Old 12-15-2017, 02:42 PM   #5

Weight and balance

Quote:
Originally Posted by captacoustic View Post
I own a new Champagne. I have a large storage area located to the right of the entry door and before the raised portion of the fifth wheel that sits on top of the truck hitch.

My question: about how much, if any, of the storage area adds to the pin weight? Would I be right in assuming that the heavier items in storage should be pushed back toward the entry door so that they are closer to the axle? Or does the storage area not contribute significantly to pin weight?
If you know anyone in the auto racing field, you may be able to find someone with access to the scales used for racing cars. My old boss was into racing and he had a set of 4 scales all attached to a single readout. I used it to get a very accurate record of the real weights on my trailer. You can also find this type of scale at any aircraft maintenance facility- you may be able to borrow or rent. (Not just the big air carriers-your local little airport may have a shop on the field).

Old 12-15-2017, 06:50 PM   #6

All this is good advice, especially the bit about weighing, distributing load and weighing again. The lockers and boots can hold a lot of stuff and significantly change the weight distribution of the van. Meaning that axle and pin weights can change dramatically when you stack heavy stuff into the lockers.

Telling grandma how to suck eggs.... don't forget about what you put inside the van as well. Anything under the bed, in the cupboards, down the back, etc, will effect the pin weight.

Because they wouldn't fit in the regular batter box on the side, I mounted my two new 120AH deep cycle batteries in the front boot (under the nose) of my 28RL. These weigh in at around 35kg each so added 70kg to the pin weight. Thankfully, my Chevy Silverado has a tow capacity much greater than my van, even with the extra loads I add to it, that I don't have to worry, but you might.

Tags
weight