Old 04-01-2014, 12:18 PM   #1
Plain Old Member

Pin Box / Frame Cracks - Cedar Creek / Silverback Specific

I don't have this issue, but can't help but to continually read about it from time to time. So, just out of curiosity, how many frame cracking issues has anybody seen with the Cedar Creek or Silverback line in the last few years? Every one I read about seems to be several years old, so I'm wondering if something changed, or there just hasn't been any issues in the last few years. I'm looking for feedback on CC and SB only. This was one of the many reasons we added the trail air pin box, just to reduce the shock in this area and reduce the posibilty of this happening.

2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 02:03 AM   #2
Plain Old Member

So far, I'm guessing not too many. The only honest answers you'll get are on this forum, which is why I asked. I won't bother asking CC or FR as with most manf, you'll get the "that's the first we've heard of it" response.

Old 04-02-2014, 09:11 AM   #3

I have kept my eyes out for frame issue topics (due to the number of conversations out there) ... but very few if any on CC. Here is a string in another forum with similar results with no real reported issues. Of course they could be out there and we just have not heard from the owners... but certainly a good indication.
King Pin Box Movement, Lippert Frame

Cedar Creek RV Owners Club ‚€Ę View topic - What about frame issues ?
2017 Days Planned: 135

38FLCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 09:29 AM   #4
Plain Old Member

Kind of the indication I'm getting, which is good. I have read on a few silverbacks, but that was several years ago.
Old 04-02-2014, 08:00 PM   #5

Just got my reply back from Forest River on my Silverback. They deny any warranty due to me putting on an air ride hitch. Guess one pull on air really tears the camper to pieces. I will go into and fix all the issues of my flexing with solid 1/2 inch steel 4 inch by six feet. From the front support to frame at jack stands. One on each side of the pin box for sure. Probably more braces in between existing and maybe more support beams if I think it needs it. The angle from the tongue to the bottom frame being be at 1/4 inch angle. The factory I can flex it with my hand and it's steel not aluminum. Magnet tested. One person I know has decided not to go Silverback because of this issue.
Old 04-02-2014, 08:20 PM   #6
Former Full Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by arpipeliner View Post
Just got my reply back from Forest River on my Silverback. They deny any warranty due to me putting on an air ride hitch. Guess one pull on air really tears the camper to pieces. I will go into and fix all the issues of my flexing...
I'm wondering what this means. The frame warranty is from LCI. If you did not modify the frame, inclusive of the pin box, I do not understand how you could
void the warranty.
Elbert Hubbard
Duckogram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 08:38 PM   #7

John,

We had some good flexing going on with our 36RD5S. I posted pictures of the problem and what Cedar Creek did in response, on another forum. We have pulled over 2000 miles since and have not had any more problems. To set the record straight, we upgraded from 7,000 # to 8,000# axles, then changed to MOR/Ryde IS system, all because of a weigh issue we had. We are full-time and carry "everything" with us, and I mean everything. . The MOR/Ryde IS, is a major improvement!! Anyway, we weigh right at 18,000, now. Could have been part of the flexing problems. Either way Cedar Creek took care of the issue at the factory. The steel welded, was done by Lippert, was pretty impress with what they added. Figure it added a couple of hundred pounds to the front end. Needed some hitch weight anyway. LOL
Well here is the link for the pictures:

Molding Caulking Issue - Page 8

Hope this helps and God bless,
Mike
2007 - Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins
May God bless
WA8MRU
mike1poles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 10:19 PM   #8
Plain Old Member

Pin Box / Frame Cracks - Cedar Creek / Silverback Specific

I have a hard time believing an air ride pin box messes with the warranty. It's an option from CC for crying out loud, and trail air IS lippert. OR is it an air ride fifth wheel hitch you're referring too? This thread has come alive, with stuff I was hoping not to hear. Guess I asked for it. We love our camper, but, if it flexes or cracks once, it's gone. I can deal with a lot of problems, and have over the past several RV's, but a cracked frame ain't one of them.
Old 04-02-2014, 10:50 PM   #9

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1396492564.361738.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	49042Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1396492573.300017.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	49043
This the picture of the email I received from Denise Davis I think. Love the layout of the trailer. But the Trailer Supreme I was looking at when I bought this I know has small and few repairs. Not a broke shower pan. Not warranted but but dealer price. Paid his labor and take the walls off to fix the leak. Two china pop tires. Replaced all suspension components to fix that. Pin box flexing with cracks on the side. The power convertor is acting up. New one here tomorrow. Right now don't know if I would want another brand new one if they took this back unless they paid me salary to ensure it was built for what I think $60,000 should be. Halfway paid off or I would get rid of it but hopefully once u replaced most things and repair the rest u can have the camper of your dreams. Hope y'all have better luck. And it was suppose to be four season (polar package). It's not. The previous owner used it one job for four months. While having this one unwinterized bought an Apline. Think I know why now.
Old 04-02-2014, 11:08 PM   #10

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1396493924.366624.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	49044
This is how my trailer and truck look in case if u thought I didn't care about it. Replaced rear jacks to 7500 lbs from the 5000 lbs factory. Planning to add second A/C this being in south this year. I replace or upgrade as I have money. I cannot a burned out light or something not to work considering I live and have this to make my living. 250 to 325 days a year in it. I have pulled it under 5,000 miles easily and plan road routes the best I can for the trip. This one must been made Monday or Friday. It's like they didn't care about quality.

Tags
cedar creek, frame