Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-01-2014, 11:18 AM   #1
Plain Old Member

Pin Box / Frame Cracks - Cedar Creek / Silverback Specific

I don't have this issue, but can't help but to continually read about it from time to time. So, just out of curiosity, how many frame cracking issues has anybody seen with the Cedar Creek or Silverback line in the last few years? Every one I read about seems to be several years old, so I'm wondering if something changed, or there just hasn't been any issues in the last few years. I'm looking for feedback on CC and SB only. This was one of the many reasons we added the trail air pin box, just to reduce the shock in this area and reduce the posibilty of this happening.
2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 01:03 AM   #2
Plain Old Member

So far, I'm guessing not too many. The only honest answers you'll get are on this forum, which is why I asked. I won't bother asking CC or FR as with most manf, you'll get the "that's the first we've heard of it" response.
Old 04-02-2014, 08:11 AM   #3

I have kept my eyes out for frame issue topics (due to the number of conversations out there) ... but very few if any on CC. Here is a string in another forum with similar results with no real reported issues. Of course they could be out there and we just have not heard from the owners... but certainly a good indication.
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ame-24030.html

Cedar Creek RV Owners Club • View topic - What about frame issues ?
2017 Days Planned: 135

38FLCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 08:29 AM   #4
Plain Old Member

Kind of the indication I'm getting, which is good. I have read on a few silverbacks, but that was several years ago.
Old 04-02-2014, 07:00 PM   #5

Just got my reply back from Forest River on my Silverback. They deny any warranty due to me putting on an air ride hitch. Guess one pull on air really tears the camper to pieces. I will go into and fix all the issues of my flexing with solid 1/2 inch steel 4 inch by six feet. From the front support to frame at jack stands. One on each side of the pin box for sure. Probably more braces in between existing and maybe more support beams if I think it needs it. The angle from the tongue to the bottom frame being be at 1/4 inch angle. The factory I can flex it with my hand and it's steel not aluminum. Magnet tested. One person I know has decided not to go Silverback because of this issue.
arpipeliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 07:20 PM   #6
Certified Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by arpipeliner View Post
Just got my reply back from Forest River on my Silverback. They deny any warranty due to me putting on an air ride hitch. Guess one pull on air really tears the camper to pieces. I will go into and fix all the issues of my flexing...
I'm wondering what this means. The frame warranty is from LCI. If you did not modify the frame, inclusive of the pin box, I do not understand how you could
void the warranty.
Old 04-02-2014, 07:38 PM   #7

John,

We had some good flexing going on with our 36RD5S. I posted pictures of the problem and what Cedar Creek did in response, on another forum. We have pulled over 2000 miles since and have not had any more problems. To set the record straight, we upgraded from 7,000 # to 8,000# axles, then changed to MOR/Ryde IS system, all because of a weigh issue we had. We are full-time and carry "everything" with us, and I mean everything. . The MOR/Ryde IS, is a major improvement!! Anyway, we weigh right at 18,000, now. Could have been part of the flexing problems. Either way Cedar Creek took care of the issue at the factory. The steel welded, was done by Lippert, was pretty impress with what they added. Figure it added a couple of hundred pounds to the front end. Needed some hitch weight anyway. LOL
Well here is the link for the pictures:

Molding Caulking Issue - Page 8

Hope this helps and God bless,
Mike
2007 - Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins
May God bless
WA8MRU
mike1poles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 09:19 PM   #8
Plain Old Member

Pin Box / Frame Cracks - Cedar Creek / Silverback Specific

I have a hard time believing an air ride pin box messes with the warranty. It's an option from CC for crying out loud, and trail air IS lippert. OR is it an air ride fifth wheel hitch you're referring too? This thread has come alive, with stuff I was hoping not to hear. Guess I asked for it. We love our camper, but, if it flexes or cracks once, it's gone. I can deal with a lot of problems, and have over the past several RV's, but a cracked frame ain't one of them.
Old 04-02-2014, 09:50 PM   #9

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1396492564.361738.jpg
Views:	317
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	49042Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1396492573.300017.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	49043
This the picture of the email I received from Denise Davis I think. Love the layout of the trailer. But the Trailer Supreme I was looking at when I bought this I know has small and few repairs. Not a broke shower pan. Not warranted but but dealer price. Paid his labor and take the walls off to fix the leak. Two china pop tires. Replaced all suspension components to fix that. Pin box flexing with cracks on the side. The power convertor is acting up. New one here tomorrow. Right now don't know if I would want another brand new one if they took this back unless they paid me salary to ensure it was built for what I think $60,000 should be. Halfway paid off or I would get rid of it but hopefully once u replaced most things and repair the rest u can have the camper of your dreams. Hope y'all have better luck. And it was suppose to be four season (polar package). It's not. The previous owner used it one job for four months. While having this one unwinterized bought an Apline. Think I know why now.
Old 04-02-2014, 10:08 PM   #10

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1396493924.366624.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	49044
This is how my trailer and truck look in case if u thought I didn't care about it. Replaced rear jacks to 7500 lbs from the 5000 lbs factory. Planning to add second A/C this being in south this year. I replace or upgrade as I have money. I cannot a burned out light or something not to work considering I live and have this to make my living. 250 to 325 days a year in it. I have pulled it under 5,000 miles easily and plan road routes the best I can for the trip. This one must been made Monday or Friday. It's like they didn't care about quality.
Old 04-02-2014, 10:33 PM   #11

It's a fifth air borne hitch. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1396495481.792382.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	49046Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1396495506.689469.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	49047
As u can tell I do not bugs on the front cap or any road debris around the front storage. To me it still looks good for a 2010. Model 29 RE. Hope it helps other. I still have the original hitch. Pulled only once from Arkansas to Alabama. 376 miles. If I had upgraded I would not let them know for its a way to get out fixing their problem. The hitch they had was the solid extended hitch $500. Got the 5th Airborne for $800. Don't understand why they would put them from the factory.
Old 04-03-2014, 04:53 AM   #12
Plain Old Member

Just FYI, that's not modifying. Changing a pin box is like changing a tire. Got that guys phone number, as I'm fixing to get on the phone here shortly. Also will be taking a trip to Indiana soon to face to face with a few people. Just odd so many people have gotten good results from the factory, and they tell you no due to a better IMO pin box.
Old 04-03-2014, 05:02 AM   #13
Plain Old Member

arpipeliner, might want to take a closer look in mikes pictures shown in the link he posted. Uh, MorRyde pin box, yet they took care of him. And of course MorRyde is not owned by lippert. Was that considered "modifying" as that one guy said. Might want to get on the phone again with a little more ammo.
Old 04-03-2014, 05:39 AM   #14

That's was the reason I was upset and disappointed. I know a guy that the dealer suggested an air ride hitch at the dealer and he did. Is his void? I would have been okay to fix the frame myself due to the way I work and need a place to stay. I wanted them to repair or contain the spiderwebbing or cracking by the side while it is small. Everyone that sees the camper likes it and are interested it for their next one. Forest River needs to realize word of mouth can cost them a lot of sales. I know three people i have worked with that were really looking for this model. One is no longer interested. I haven't said anything to the others. They need to realize that the owners are their greatest asset to getting more customers. I bought this because I liked my friend's Cedar Creek. I was looking at the Montana and Cougar till I saw his camper.
Old 04-03-2014, 09:50 AM   #15
Certified Curmudgeon

Thanks for that clarification. I now understand that it was the king pin box and not the hitch in the bed of the tow vehicle that was modified.
Old 04-03-2014, 08:11 PM   #16

HUH?

Quote:
Originally Posted by arpipeliner View Post
Attachment 49042Attachment 49043
This the picture of the email I received from Denise Davis I think. Love the layout of the trailer. But the Trailer Supreme I was looking at when I bought this I know has small and few repairs. Not a broke shower pan. Not warranted but but dealer price. Paid his labor and take the walls off to fix the leak. Two china pop tires. Replaced all suspension components to fix that. Pin box flexing with cracks on the side. The power convertor is acting up. New one here tomorrow. Right now don't know if I would want another brand new one if they took this back unless they paid me salary to ensure it was built for what I think $60,000 should be. Halfway paid off or I would get rid of it but hopefully once u replaced most things and repair the rest u can have the camper of your dreams. Hope y'all have better luck. And it was suppose to be four season (polar package). It's not. The previous owner used it one job for four months. While having this one unwinterized bought an Apline. Think I know why now.
Had trouble understanding from the way you write. You wrote " Two china pop tires. Replaced all suspension components to fix that." If I'm reading that right you replaced the entire suspension because you had a blowout on two cheap tires.
wanderer69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 09:36 PM   #17

Pulled the camper from West Virginia to Michigan (450 miles). From there to Arkansas (875 miles) where my home is and the Ohio (850 miles) to the next job. Once there I noticed the outside thread by the RV door was almost if not gone on the two outside threads. The same was on the driver side rear axle. Out the camper on blocks and removed tires for the suspension to float or hang. Measured from grease fitting to grease fitting being the center of the axles. The difference between driver and passenger side was 1 1/8 inch difference if I remember correctly. The forums said there was bad tires on the camper. To avoid blowouts and fix the alignment of the axles. I changed the shackles, bolts, springs, the dexter EZ Flex stabilizer, U bolts. Upgraded to the wet kits that can be greased. Changed to two tires to take no chances. The axle to axle was around 31 inch I think but both were exactly the same then. Repacked bearings while I was that far. Three were loose and tighten them. I am not a throw money at it to see if it fixes it but damn for the money they cost and to be top of line Forest River needs to drop the price $10K to $20K. I crossed $5K all ready and not even addressed the pin flexing and cracks. The support from Cedar Creek needs to be the one meeting their brand of camper when the pin box totally fails. It might sound mean but think about every camper u meet or pass. That could be the one to break while pulling. I have found out several have done that at low speeds but not on the road yet. At this moment I would not even consider buying another Forest River product. They sell junk and it's your problem to upgrade as u get money to protect your investment. They don't want to help!!
Old 04-03-2014, 09:51 PM   #18

Big John D, I agree with u as it changing a tire to changing a good pin box. The hitch that came on it was about $500. I found the fifth airborne for $800 with free shipping. The trail air hitch shipping was $100 but about the same price. The factory bolts was grade 5 bolts. I went back with grade 8 bolts. I could not believe the email back. Shows their true feelings to their customers to me.
Old 04-04-2014, 06:51 AM   #19

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1396611803.319817.jpg
Views:	317
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	49096
This a picture I took from the Forest River video. This is the same design on my 2010 silverback. The only real support is the two outside rails. U can look inside your front storage compartment and see the small support runners. They are not for load bearing. This is why they put the metal that it needs when they do a warranty job. I think if u don't pull very much a camper would be fine. Hope this helps people understand. If not go look at a gooseneck trailer and u will see a lot more metal.
Old 04-04-2014, 03:25 PM   #20

ARPIPELINER

I Had the same issue with my 2010 Silverback, FR repaired it.

5th Wheel
2010 Cedar Creek
Silverback 29RE
Purchased brand new in July 2010

Used our 5th wheel locally, a trip to Durango, CO & trip to Pigeon Forge, TN.
The trip out to Pigeon Forge, TN stopped for the night and noticed a gap in the uderbelly where the front cap is attached with screws and caulked to the metal trim piece. Gap was 3/4-1" open from pin box around to the side of the underbelly.
When we arrived at the campground in PF and I started lowering the landing legs and removing the trailer weight off the pin box the gap closed up tight?
To make a long story short when I got back home from our trip contacted the Dealer Service Manager and told him what was going on. Of course my 5th wheel warranty had expired but after sending him pictures and many emails and phone calls with the Dealer, Forest River & Lipert Frames. FR/LF had my5th wheel transported back to the Cedar Creek factory to have the frame repaired and beefed up. Frame was flexing and plan is to remove cap and reweld and plate frame back up to the closet area in the bedroom, won't be getting trailer back until fisrt of march.
ryoucrazey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cedar creek, frame