Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-03-2015, 06:46 AM   #1

Plastic hub cap on 38FL wheel

Our rv has been sitting at our lake property since purchased. This weekend I decided to give the hubs a shot of grease. My question is, do you just shoot through the opening of the plastic ( chrome look ) hub or remove it? If you remove it, how does it come off? I couldn't find anywhere to pry it. They seemed to spin a little, but may have sand making it harder. I didn't get the job done yet due to broken connection on my grease gun.

Thanks in advance for any help,
Don
dmdrj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 07:03 AM   #2

The ones I ever seen have a rubber plug in the center of the hub cap. Remove that and you can see the grease zerk. For removing the hub cap like the ones I have , you have to take the wheel off.
Big Red and 30WR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 07:12 AM   #3

I was able to access the grease fitting. I was just looking for a little extra space to work around it.

Thanks,
Don
Old 05-21-2015, 06:02 PM   #4

I am giving the spindles a few shots also. Had to take the wheel off to access the zerk. Got to be an easier way but don't see how due to the distance between the chrome plug/cover and the rubber dust cover on the hub. Gonna try to do it without removing the wheel tomorrow.
Old 05-22-2015, 07:58 PM   #5

Was able to remove and replace the rubber plugs without removing the plastic hubs. One spindle took a lot more grease than the others. Top job on the 'to do' list done.

Jacked up the wheels and adjusted the brakes.
Filled the water system with a little chlorine. Tommorrow will flush.

Going to be happy campers on Wednesday.

Dennis & Beth
Dewitt, MI
Old 05-23-2015, 12:24 AM   #6

The little cap in the center of big cap fits snugs. Use a flat tip screwdriver and they will pop off. Inside you will notice a rubber cap pull it off and then you will see the zerk fitting. If you are going to do the repack thru the zerk get ready to pump the grease gun a lot. The first time you do the repack, it will take a lot of grease.
wanderer69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 10:52 AM   #7

Did the grease job yesterday. As was stated, it took a lot of grease, but I had purchased more than enough. Also did the zerks on the springs. My knees HURT!

Thanks for the replies.

Don

Tags
wheel