Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-17-2014, 08:45 AM   #1
Papi

Porch/Interior door light switch Location

Okay. As long as I'm signed on giving out free opinions here's a question I have: What was going though FR designers minds when they put the door light (hallway light too) switch inside the switch box? No, I don't always carry the remote with me. Has anyone relocated the on/off switch to a more accessible location? I'm thinking of moving it to the adjacent wall just above the thermostat. In the dark it's a real pain in the..."eyes". Any solutions welcome. Thanks!
now in same place.
Papicamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 09:38 AM   #2

I have the same complaint. It's a PITA to have to fumble around in the dark to hit the right switch on the panel. I've been keeping the remote in my pickup so I'll turn it on that way. I was thinking that it might be easier to surface mount a battery operated 'camping light' on the inside wall near the door to temporarily shed some light.
1986 Marriage to "Wifey" (patience of a saint)
rattleNsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 09:58 AM   #3

You guys have a remote...???? My hallway light has no switch except the one on the light itself and the door one is inside the panel box door.

I picked up at my local Wal-Mart a couple of battery operated touch lights, they are no bigger than the palm of your hand. D.W. had me install one on her side of the closet as well. The other I mounted above the toilet...D.W. was afraid she might fall in if I left the seat up.

2006 F350 6.0 with 3.73 gears, 4X4, Extra-Cab Long Box, Oil/Tranny/P.S. Coolers. Coolant filter. SCT Livewire.
2011 Cedar Creek 36RE, Auto levelers + too much to list..!
puff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 10:10 AM   #4

Just a thought here, you could purchase and mount a small motion detection battery operated light that would serve the purpose you are looking for. Should be able to purchase one for under $10

Past RVs: National Pacifica 40', Kenworth T300 Toterhome, Jayco Class C 32'. American Eagle 40',
American Eagle 40', Bounder 38' tag axle
jonrjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 10:15 AM   #5
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

You could wire in another remote controlled light switch and have the switch mounted to the wall in more convenient location. I had thought of doing this, but haven't gotten around to it yet, but my lights are not on a remote to start with.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 10:23 AM   #6
NELA

Are you people readin my mind?

I went out last night to measure something in our RV and fumbled around for 40 forevers trying to find a light switch. grrrrrr No remote here either.

On my list: a battery operated light for just inside the door

(didn't know battery operated motion detector lights are available)

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 10:38 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weezer View Post
Are you people readin my mind?

On my list: a battery operated light for just inside the door

(didn't know battery operated motion detector lights are available)

The last package I picked up I purchased at Costco. I have seen them in Walmart, Lowes and Home Depot as well.

I keep a few mounted at various hallways in the house so that when we have company visit they don't get lost or trip over a step in the dark. Cheap liability insurance.

Even if you went without the motion sensors and place a convent simple Tap-light just inside the door it would serve the same purpose.

Past RVs: National Pacifica 40', Kenworth T300 Toterhome, Jayco Class C 32'. American Eagle 40',
American Eagle 40', Bounder 38' tag axle
jonrjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 11:40 AM   #8
Papi

Good ideas

Wow! I seem to have struck a painful note. Yes, we have put touch lights under cabinets and in the "garage" just for simplicity sake and want to put one in hall way near bath door but mostly so nobody falls down the [dark] stairs at night. We have also put in one of those blue fluorescent nite lites in the wall outlet near the door. LOL at some replies BTW. Re the remote: I don't know about any other models but our remote includes, slides, levelers, awning and the porch/inside light. I have not looked into moving the switch yet seriously but it is a on/off/on rocker type and paralleling one may not work...don't know yet. Thanks for stories and check your remotes!
now in same place.
Old 01-17-2014, 12:04 PM   #9
NELA

I found thousands of battery powered motion lights on ebay, but most either screw on, tape on, and one has a magnetic base.

Meh, I'll just mount mine with Command picture hanging tape so as not to risk damaging the wall if I want to remove it.

Or, I may just place a command hook on the inside wall by the door and hang a small flashlight there.

Our RV is brand new (haven't even done the shake-down in this one yet) and I haven't established "recall" of where all the switches are yet. The one I found last night is the under-cabinet LED strip on our side counter/bar area.

WTH are they thinking, not placing at least one switch right by the entry door?

LOL, wish I had a hundred dollars for every time I've told DH "it must be all men that do the design lay-out for these things". (At this point I'll refer back to that big gaping hole...with finished edges, of course...for a laundry chute under the bathroom sink. How much time or money would it take to place a hinged trap door over that thing?)

Maybe when DH has finished that mod I'll send a picture of it to the factory rep for our model, just caption it; hint, hint. Then do the same for whichever mod we settle on for just-inside-the-entry-door lighting access.

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 02:48 PM   #10
Certified Curmudgeon

A different approach... The late '12 36CKTS has a pendant light over the entry door and no switch. So I installed a Starlight 1000 in place of
the porch light, replaced the step light with a LED and put a pull chain
switch on the pendant. The OEM switch remained on and
when you return in the PM all that was needed was a wave to find the cord.
Old 01-17-2014, 03:10 PM   #11
CCRVOC

We don't like opening up the cabinet door turn to ON the lights for the kitchen. I bought a rv surface mount double switch and plan to mount it on the outside of the cabinet vicinity of the thermostat. This way, when coming from the bedroom in the middle of the night and before I fall down the stairs, I can turn the lights on.......and see where I land.

Then I'm going to use the existing OEM double switch in the cabinet for some accent lights I have yet to install.....

Ramblin
Ramblin Recks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 03:30 PM   #12

Our fiver has it on the bottom step so when you open the door to the rig it's right there at chest level but on the first step going up to the bedroom. Makes it real nice.
Todouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 08:51 PM   #13
Papi

Going with ducks great idea! Already bought a 1000 and #194 type led is on the way...I'm justa a pull cord away from happiness! Thanks Duck!
now in same place.

Tags
cat, door, light, location