Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-07-2016, 06:23 PM   #1

Potential Fire Problem with LED Ceiling Lights

I have a 2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS which I purchased in October 2015. I have already had three of the LED ceiling light malfunction. Two of them started working with only three of the six LED diodes lighting. The third one got so hot that the LED circuit board came loose from the plastic mounting ring and made contact with the plastic cover plate. It started to melt the cover plate and I am fairly sure that if I was not in my RV it probably would have started a fire. When the lights are lite the plastic cover gets fairly hot to the touch. The design of these LED Flush Mounted ceiling lights is very poor because the plastic mounting ring which holds the LED circuit board does not have the ability to dissipate the heat of the circuit board. I have seen another posting on this forum where another person had the some melting problem with their LED ceiling lights and I know of another 2016 Cedar Creek owner who is staying at the same RV Resort in Florida that I am and he has also experienced the same problem with his LED ceiling lights. I have replaced my failed LED lights with the flush mounted design that has an aluminum mounting ring that has the ability to dissipate the heat of the LED circuit board. When these lights are lite the plastic cover is only slightly warm to the touch. I am hoping that Forest River with address this potential fire issue before someone has a fire in their RV. I would not allow the factory installed LED ceiling lights to be lite if you are not in your RV.
JohnE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 09:15 PM   #2

I have a 2014 38 CK and have had no problems with the LED lighting. I am not sure why though. I don't use the recessed lighting that much but it's been working fine for several years.
Sterlingsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 11:22 PM   #3

I posted about this very issue last Fall. The LED ceiling lights in my 33IK (especially the ones with the black on/off buttons) get damned hot! Mine melted several lenses and two got the circuit board so hot it melted the wire insulation laying on top and shorted out blowing a 12 VDC fuse. All CC wants to do is send replacements that are supposedly better??? Do you have part numbers for the aluminum mounted ones handy?
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 05:04 PM   #4

Deiselguy, You can use the following aluminum based lights as replacements, which I ordered from Amazon.

Dream Lighting 12v 1.8W LED Ceiling Light 3.5” diameter. This 3.5” light only comes in warm white.

Dream Lighting 12v 3.8W LED Ceiling Light 4.5” diameter. This 4.5" light comes in warm white or cool white.

Dream Lighting also sell a version of the 4.5" diameter light with a built in switch.
Old 02-08-2016, 05:07 PM   #5

Do you have any pictures of the lights so others can see them too? I'm sure they are used widespread. Thanks
Old 02-08-2016, 06:54 PM   #6

I have all LED lights in my 2014 Wildcat and I haven't notice any of them getting hot. It may well be they use a different fixture. What you describe sounds fairly scary. Since I assume you're still under warranty, what does FR say about this potential fire hazard?
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 08:59 PM   #7

Here are the replacement lights that I am starting to use. They are very cool when you touch the plastic cover.
Old 02-09-2016, 08:43 AM   #8

phillyg ... FR says the lights have a lifetime warranty ... here's a replacement ... here's another replacement ... here's yet another replacement
Old 02-09-2016, 12:45 PM   #9

Nice to know John E , how much do those cost
14 CC 38CK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 01:33 PM   #10

I have the same issue with a 2016 33IK I picked up last March. While looking at one of these on the lot, one of the lights in the bedroom let loose, melted, and put out tons of smoke! I went to the Cleveland RV show in January and paid attention to the other trailer manufacturers . . . all of them ran cool. Anyone know what brand they use (I saw them in Jayco's and a few other non-FR brands).
NCBBA11043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 01:54 PM   #11

In 3 months of use I have 2 bad lights in the bathroom of our 40crs!
walljammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 02:07 PM   #12

Could someone please post a picture and model number of the defective lights?

Thanks
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 03:26 PM   #13
7 Year Class A RV'er

Not sure what brand these are, but they use ITC in the Legacy and Berkshire. Lots of issues with those dying, no fires that I've heard of. Trying to get mine replaced right now but they never said lifetime warranty. They won't send the parts out as warranty unless a dealer submits for them. I'm almost to the point if just buying another brand of light and dumping the originals!

Gigi, Poppy and Sadie Lady...On the road, but not full time!
conceptumator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 03:48 PM   #14

Here's a link to my original post with photos. I'm not sure of the manufacturer other than they are standard issue on 2016's built March 0f 2015.
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ses-89457.html
Cedar Creek Warranty Division will send replacements right to your door if you show photos, give VIN number, and ask. They seem to be the same and continue to put off quite a bit of heat.
Old 02-09-2016, 07:32 PM   #15

The design in the factory installed LED flush mounted lights that FR is using is a poor design because it uses a plastic mounting ring that holds the LED circuit board. All LED lights put off heat, which has to be dissipated or the light will get very hot from the heat buildup. The plastic mounting ring cannot dissipate the heat, which then results in the overheating problem of the LED circuit board. The good designed LED lights uses a metal mounting plate, which the LED circuit board is attached to. The metal mounting plate is usually made of aluminum, which is very good at dissipating heat and results in a cooler operating light. The other RV manufacturers are using the good designed LED light. My previous 5th wheel was a Keystone Apline which had LED ceiling lights with the metal mounting plates, and I never had a problem with any of those lights. FR states that the LED lights have a lifetime warranty, which is great, but not if they are going to replace the lights with the same poorly designed lights. If you leave the FR factory installed LED lights on for any length of time, it is only time before the light will burn out or fail by melting the mounting ring and cover plate. I just hope that someone does not have an RV fire.

Tags
led, light