Old 12-06-2015, 09:11 PM   #21

Coot, you're half right in that you forgot to include the spring loaded struts do almost all of the work in that direction. The struts are extremely powerful, where the motor acts as the movement function inbetween the counteracting forces.

Old 12-06-2015, 09:22 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
The torsion spring is probably wound too tight. The tension needs to be reduced, not increased. The torsion spring when the awning is deployed is wound to assist the motor in rolling the awning up.

I would also investigate that the pin is not sheared in the torsion spring to the awning arm and the rivets are still in the end cap to the tube itself.
There is what I will call a dead spot in the counteracting forces, tube spring load and strut deployment force. A properly operating awning almost goes "limp" as it nears the closed position. There has to be sufficient tension, however so slight, to hold the fabric on the tube in a manner sufficient during the initial deployment phase, before the strut forces take over and increasingly push against the increasing spring tension. Hope that makes my previous statement somewhat clearer. Just sayin'

Good point on the rivets.

Old 12-06-2015, 10:28 PM   #23
FL/WI-RVers

Dometic Powered Awning

As I said previously, I had the same problem with our 2016 33IK. I called Dometic and they couldn't give me a good answer, but one of the dealer's mechanic had finally figured it out. He had to replace someone's awning and while doing so he found that it could be fixed by just changing the tension on the roll spring. I think I said he tightened the spring tension, but actually loosened it.
The motor drives the awning out and if the spring is to tight it won't let the roller pull the awning cover straight and by loosening the tension the motor doesn't work as hard. You will notice that the awning will roll up a little slower because the spring isn't assisting it as much, but it doesn't affect the wind-up itself. If you haven't had any experience with tension rollers, please hire someone to do this modification. I want you to continue too enjoy your RV, by having both arms working.
I informed customer service exactly what was done to repair the problem and gave them the name and number of the mechanic, at the dealership. Also my awning has worked excellent, at least 6 or 7 times since the repair.
Old 12-06-2015, 11:37 PM   #24

Originally Posted by Still Kickin View Post
Not true. The motor begins the deployment process, while the spring on the opposite side loads. If you're interested, read my initial post on how the engineers made all these forces work in unison. Just sayin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
The motor has to work AGAINST the torsion spring to unroll the awning. When deployed, the torsion spring works WITH the motor to roll the awning into the stow position.
Aren't you both saying the same thing? Isn't working against the spring the same as loading the spring?

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 12:38 PM   #25

Gotta print these out

Still Kickin,

Must go back and find your original post as that makes sense. Over the weekend, I could find nothing binding anywhere on either of the arms. While we have a string of mild weather, I'm going to get the ladder out and look again after "bumping" the motor to relieve stored tension.

Our previous rig had a Carefree that worked perfectly and slammed against the wall when closing. Arms on that one were similar to this one.

Right now, it'll have to wait as DW has just been diagnosed with a spinal fracture that is not repairable with cement as we'd hoped. Further work on that will have to come first.

We may be out of the trailer business after making one payment.

Almost South of the Border
whatsupchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 12:50 PM   #26

Take care of your wife and forget about the awning.
Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 01:13 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalford View Post
Originally Posted by Still Kickin View Post
Not true. The motor begins the deployment process, while the spring on the opposite side loads. If you're interested, read my initial post on how the engineers made all these forces work in unison. Just sayin'

Aren't you both saying the same thing? Isn't working against the spring the same as loading the spring?
Might be, but Coot is "old" so not sure. I'm teasing. Whats important in all this is, that the motors main function is to power the winding/unwinding action of the tube as the secondary force to the spring and strut forces. Those primary forces are what enables the awning to deploy with such ease and a small assist motor.

Ditto, not important now, hope all goes well.
Old 12-24-2015, 04:04 PM   #28

Wel as I had replied earlier in this thread it appears to be a common issue with Dometic and I had one side the non motor side that needed a helping hand. Well told dealer and after they ran it in and out a few times now both sides need help so they are ordering new struts. From what I have read thus far don't think this is going to be the fix will see and respond accordingly.
Old 12-24-2015, 08:51 PM   #29

We just took delivery on a Ceder Creek same problem. arms needs a helping so in about 2 weeks were taking unit back. Minor repairs. 38RD awesome unit.
Old 12-25-2015, 10:27 AM   #30

Awning Update

Picked my 36ckts up from service and tried awning a few times and worked every time.This last time in they replace the complete arm assembly, so that and new gas struts and the rubber spring stop that they put on the other 2 times in for this hopefully cured problem. It is put away in garage till April then back to dealer for kit on under side of slide out to keep fabric from tearing plus new rear decal and new recliner back.

Tags
awning, power