Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-07-2015, 06:00 PM   #1

power awning problems

I have a 2015 36ckts with a dometic power awning and it wont extend out.When I extend it one side [motor side] extends other side just unwinds,I give it a little pull and it works. I took back to dealer they said it worked for them,couple days later I tried and same problem. Took back to dealer showed them problem,left it there. They called said they put new gas struts on and still didn't help they called dometic and they sent a bump kit and dealer installed and said fixed problem I went to pick it up and tried awning at the dealers lot and same problem! Showed service manager and he was surprised,we leveled trailer and it worked then I noticed front awning arm was sticking out about 2 inches at bottom when awning was closed. Went camping this past weekend and same problem won't extend on it's own.Anyone else have this problem? Contacting dealer in morning.
GaryO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 06:34 PM   #2

Is it possible that the end where its locked into the channel on the side of the camper has shifted either forward or back causing that arm to bind when folded? The gas strut isn't providing much of a push when its folded up and the least bit of binding might cause it to stick.

Self restraint is for the young. I'm old and want it NOW!
DaveSchwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 07:45 PM   #3

Had same problem on my 2015 38rd. After about 10 trips out it works fine. Did that for about 8 trips. Finally does not catch on the front side of the awning.

Tom & Marilyn
2013 Chevrolet Duramax 3500 HD LTZ Crew Cab Long Bed Z71 4X4
2015 Cedar Creek 38RD Hathaway Edition
ttanous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 09:57 PM   #4

Same thing on both arms

Dealer had awning extended when PDI done. When finished, it was closed and off we went after I was distracted trying to see Blue Ox installation and indoctrination.

Arrival at home and the awning sticks closed, but unrolls the fabric down the wall. Stop motor, walk to both arms and jerk and they come loose. Finally learned to stand backward on step, unroll about a foot of fabric and stop. Reach up and shove the bar out with two hands and it pops out. I'm trying to find scraped paint that would show a binding point, but, have not had enough time yet I guess.

Just picked this up Wed. 28 Oct and trying to move stuff in. I don't see how the struts could be of any help on the opening business as they don't seem to do much at all until the arms are open. Yes, the nuts on the adjusting arm are loose as it was delivered.

Suggestions welcomed.

Almost South of the Border
whatsupchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 10:32 PM   #5

Its funny your dealer doesn't seem to know whats up. There are three main things going on during deployment. In the tube there is on the wire side the motor, it is very low power and geared to help the awning move when not under the other two aides. The struts are nothing more than heavy spring loaded cylinders that are dampened. Their function is to initially push the awning away from the unit, and continue to provide that force to full open. On the other end of the tube is a spring that begins to wind aka "load" with counter acting force to the struts, all the way through the opening cycle. The reverse action of closing, takes the stored energy in the spring and uses that to push it home. The motor only is for the slight imbalance in forces during the movement in and out. Knowing this, the problem can be alignment, binding, etc.

One thing to know, at the point of closed, there is no force to speak of from the struts because of the support arms design. Likewise, in the closed position, the tube spring is not under any load and therefore no forces being applied. In that position the motor, and believe me it is not very powerful, is in charge, so if it is unwinding fabric, it would appear that your arm alignment, and or binding at that position, just might be the issue. IMO
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 11:06 PM   #6

Thank You "Still Kickin". I thought the struts were for wind shock etc., but, this makes more since. We are compiling issues for dealer and this was number one. The way things go down here in almost Mexico is make it work once and get it off the lot. I should have tried it then, but, was starving after no lunch. Should've packed a sandwich!

I have made a note on my note. Need different Blue Ox bars they've ordered and don't even have plates yet. Snowbird Season has just started for us and the shop there will be busier than normal.

Film at 11!

Old 11-02-2015, 06:31 AM   #7

We had a similar problem, our awning would stick on just one side. It was an alignment problem and repaired by the dealer. The channels that the front part of the arms go over when closed, may be spread too much or slightly misaligned. It doesn't take much. Also check the inserts at the hinge to be sure they are not binding. Good luck.
2012 F350 King Ranch, Reese Elite 18 and Air Bags
Elkrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 07:16 AM   #8
Mod free 5er

Also deploy the awning and make sure the material is centered on the tube. Once you get it centered, it is wise to pop rivet the side hems to the tube.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pop Rivet in Awning.JPG
Views:	500
Size:	102.0 KB
ID:	93503  
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 01:36 PM   #9
FL/WI-RVers

I had the same problem with our 2016 33IK and Dometic couldn't even give me a good answer, but one of the dealers mechanic had finally figured it out. He had to replace someone's awning and while doing so he found that it could be fixed by just changing the tension on the roll spring. It works like a garage door, you tighten the spring tension and it works great and it didn't take much.
FLRVWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 01:46 PM   #10

Still having problems with awning, goes back to dealer this week for 3rd time for this problem,hope they get it right this time!
Old 11-24-2015, 07:43 PM   #11

I am going to monitor your progress as we have a 2015 35QB4 and it has down the same thing since we did our walk around. They sent me the rubber assists, helped a little but it still just un-roles. I have to reach up and push it till it tightens and then it works fine. Had it at the dealer who said it worked fine.
Frustrating! It seems like the motor is not powerful enough.
redlinmktg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 07:19 AM   #12

Power awning problems

It's been at the dealer since 11-5 for awning problem and other warranty work and as far as I know still isn't fixed!
Old 12-04-2015, 03:10 PM   #13

Awning not extending on own

Sounds like several of us have same issue with the non motor side not coming out without a helping hand. I have a 2016 31rk with same issue. Being a domestic product it doesn't surprise me. But taking it in to try ang get it and some other minor issues resolved after initial shake down trip.
hughd033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 11:10 PM   #14

Both sides stick

I just spent about an hour trying to figure out why the awning just unrolls the fabric down the wall with arms stuck only slightly open. No luck!

The roller tube must be pushed away from the wall for the fabric to tighten up when the arms finally open up. Application of silicone spray on joints did no good. Rear bracket has a rubber "spring" that pushes at the arms, but, that does not help. Front has nothing to assist in opening the arms.

Cannot find any binding points on either end. Tried pulling on arms partially cracked open to see if something was rubbing to know avail. Can't even find a paint scratch where any rubbing is occurring.

Never had a problem with the old manual awning on our first 22 year old rig.

Old 12-06-2015, 12:13 AM   #15

My 2016 33IK does the same thing. No big deal, give it a shove and out it goes. I think it is just gravity. There is nothing making the awning uncoil except gravity as the motor unwinds the fabric. Unless you want to put something behind the non-motor side to keep it out from the RV then I think it is just the laws of science. Come on guys, it is no big deal to give it a little shove to help it on its way...

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 12:17 AM   #16

Short Response

What if you are 4' 10" and can't reach it?

Old 12-06-2015, 08:35 PM   #17

It appears from what you're describing the tension on the spring side is not correct. Your dealer has to understand the dynamics going into the deployment and retraction load potentials on the spring side. If you're expierencing unwind at the initial deployment phase, it would appear the spring is not set to the designed load per specs in the closed position. Unless your dealer is willing to adjust the spring load, it would appear they might not have the technical expertise on that equipment.

This suggestion is assuming the arms do not bind when closed, and the arms were aligned correctly upon installation, which several of you stated.

After reading my previous post on how this type of awning functions, if there is sufficient tension being appllied by the spring on that side, it would be unlikely the fabric would deploy down the side of the unit, if proper spring load during installation was maintained in the opening direction.

Suggest that the dealer needs to slightly wind the spring in such a fashion, where there still is some tension from the spring in the closed position. Heck, have them call the Dometic awning engineers for clarification if need be. I think if you read both of my posts, you can better fight the fight you're encountering with your dealer. Just sayin'
Old 12-06-2015, 08:42 PM   #18
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still Kickin View Post
...Suggest that the dealer needs to slightly wind the spring in such a fashion, where there still is some tension from the sring in the closed position. Heck, have them call the Dometic awning engineers for clarification if need be. I think if you read both of my posts, you can better fight the fight you're encountering with your dealer. Just sayin'
The torsion spring is probably wound too tight. The tension needs to be reduced, not increased. The torsion spring when the awning is deployed is wound to assist the motor in rolling the awning up.

I would also investigate that the pin is not sheared in the torsion spring to the awning arm and the rivets are still in the end cap to the tube itself.
Old 12-06-2015, 08:49 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalford View Post
There is nothing making the awning uncoil except gravity as the motor unwinds the fabric. ...
Not true. The motor begins the deployment process, while the spring on the opposite side loads. If you're interested, read my initial post on how the engineers made all these forces work in unison. Just sayin'
Old 12-06-2015, 08:52 PM   #20
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still Kickin View Post
Not true. The motor begins the deployment process, while the spring on the opposite side loads. If you're interested, read my initial post on how the engineers made all these forces work in unison. Just sayin'
The motor has to work AGAINST the torsion spring to unroll the awning. When deployed, the torsion spring works WITH the motor to roll the awning into the stow position.

Tags
awning, power