Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-10-2019, 11:22 PM   #41
Site Team

I'm a retired firefighter and I travel with the propane ON.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 08:01 AM   #42

It's your choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
Our ex fireman friend travels with the propane fridge ON!

Do as you like, but I can see where it could be problematic in a crash.
2011 Flagstaff 8528RKWS 5th
FreeWheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 09:12 AM   #43
Who Dares, Wins

Also a former fireman.. And ran with the propane on all up and down the east coast. Only ever needed to shut it off around Norfolk in their tunnels. Never shut it off, or the truck for that matter, while fueling either.

Now I have a residential fridge and invertor so no more issue I guess.

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 10:10 AM   #44

You guys do what you want, but I find it surprising how many folks, people that are intimately familiar with fire, would drive pulling an open tank of flammable material behind them. I did that until it was pointed out to me how dangerous that COULD be. I've never had a wreck while pulling my 5-er, but I would not put others lives at risk once I realized what the consequences could be. The fireball from that crash could easily affect other vehicles.

The ice bottles should work fine. We purchased 2 battery-operated fans that circulate the air, one for the freezer and one for the fridge. Nothing ever went bad when we traveled with the fans ON and the propane OFF (and on a couple occasions I drove 9 and 10 hour days). You just don't need to have it on, so why do it?
Old 03-11-2019, 10:28 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeWheeler View Post
You guys do what you want, but I find it surprising how many folks, people that are intimately familiar with fire, would drive pulling an open tank of flammable material behind them. I did that until it was pointed out to me how dangerous that COULD be. I've never had a wreck while pulling my 5-er, but I would not put others lives at risk once I realized what the consequences could be. The fireball from that crash could easily affect other vehicles.
I have a question??? What about vehicles that are powered by either propane or natural gas??? I see a lot of trucking companies that are now running trucks like that. Is this any different then running with a open propane tank on a camper? Not trying to start a argument I just don't know the answer, thanks for any info anyone can provide.
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 10:38 AM   #46

Yeah, and cars have gasoline in the tanks. I just think if you can make it safer, you should. You can keep your coolers cold without adding a flammable to the equation.

Now I've said it more times than needed. I bow out. Think about it and do what's best.
Old 03-11-2019, 10:41 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeWheeler View Post
I pull a couple boats. One has 80 gallons of gasoline in a vented tank. These tanks are polyethylene and I would consider them way more dangerous in a crash that one 5 gallon propane tank made of steel which is feeding a fridge through a low pressure regulator

If you are worried about a fireball in a crash, that would mean the 5 gallon propane tank would have to be compromised and it wouldn't matter if it was turned on or not. I would be way more worried about the 80 gallon gasoline tank in my boat.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 11:52 AM   #48

I always run with propane to my fridge. Who wouldn’t?
Jokerbgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 03:33 PM   #49

I have a residential refrigerator and I never turn off the LP
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fridge, power, travel