Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-27-2019, 10:46 PM   #1

Prewired solar problems, HELP!

I have a 2018 Cedar Creek 35IK and I'm trying to figure out how the wires hook up from the solar panel connection on the roof to the solar controller. Behind the control panel door is a cut out for a solar monitor and behind that is the wiring. I located the solar wires just fine, but I'm confused about where some of them are supposed to go. There are two double wires with positive and negative wires on both. One set of wires have a 30 amp inline fuse on the positive side and I assume they go to the solar controller, but the other double wire with both positive and negative is just cut off and hanging there. When I test the voltage of the one without the fuse it reads 13 volts, just like my batteries. So what am I supposed to connect those wires to? Obviously they are already connected to the batteries somehow, but what are they then supposed to be connected to? I'm stumped, and the solar kit I bought has no information about these extra wires. I know they must have something to do with the solar because they were all taped together higher up on the wires. Any help would be much appreciated.
Jonesboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 08:51 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesboys View Post
One set of wires have a 30 amp inline fuse on the positive side and I assume they go to the solar controller, but the other double wire with both positive and negative is just cut off and hanging there. When I test the voltage of the one without the fuse it reads 13 volts, just like my batteries. So what am I supposed to connect those wires to? Obviously they are already connected to the batteries somehow, but what are they then supposed to be connected to?
The wires from the battery connect to the output on the solar controller to charge the batteries. The wires from the roof panels connect to the input on the solar controller. All the panels do is charge the batteries.
DG N. AL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 07:16 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG N. AL View Post
The wires from the battery connect to the output on the solar controller to charge the batteries. The wires from the roof panels connect to the input on the solar controller. All the panels do is charge the batteries.
Thanks for the response. I understand what you're saying and everything is already connected as you explained. The question I have is what to do with the extra wires that seem to be coming down from the roof panels along with those that are already going to the controller. They are putting out 13+ volts when tested, so do I just leave them alone and forget about them?
Old 09-29-2019, 08:09 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesboys View Post
The question I have is what to do with the extra wires that seem to be coming down from the roof panels along with those that are already going to the controller. They are putting out 13+ volts when tested, so do I just leave them alone and forget about them?
I am afraid I can't help with that. Not sure what they might be.
Old 09-29-2019, 09:06 PM   #5

Yea, don't know what to think about those wires. I just got done hooking everything up a couple days ago and the weather has been such that I can't tell yet if there's any juice coming from the panels. Last night we just had 6" of snow here in the great northwest, so guess I'll have to wait to see what happens when the sun comes out again. The wife and I are planning to head south by mid November, hope I can get it all figured out before we leave since we want to do a lot of boondocking this winter. Thanks again for the response.
Old 09-30-2019, 06:55 AM   #6

How many panels do you have and are they in series or parallel? It could be that the wires are actually connected to the panels.
Old 09-30-2019, 07:29 AM   #7

I have 5 100 watt panels connected in series, positive to negative, positive to negative. Then at the ends of the opposite sides of all the panels they go to the one connection on the roof. I just followed directions that came with the solar kit. Guess I don't know what advantage or disadvantage there is between series and parallel.
Old 09-30-2019, 08:20 AM   #8

Wiring in parallel keeps the voltage the same, but at higher amperage. Wiring in series compounds the voltage, but at lower amperage. You need heavier wiring when using parallel.

But since you are wired in series and your wire in question has 13 volts, it can't be coming from the panels. The voltage has to be from the batteries. I don't know what that wire is for. It could possibly be to power a fan or some other accessory. My 2018 CK2 is prewired for solar but does not have that extra wire.
Old 09-30-2019, 10:57 AM   #9

The wire from the roof was connected directly to the + bus and ground on mine, pulled them off and connected to new charge controller in pass through, then direct to batter/ground from charge controller. If you're measuring 13 volts at the roof connection/jack then that confirms they're connected down below. I moved the + connection to the battery side of the disconnect switch, ground is ground. And I connected my 3 @ 100 watts in series. Been seeing 57 volts to the controller.
nayther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 01:50 PM   #10

Thanks for the input guys. I see no reason for those extra wires, but I'm sure they're there for a reason. However, I am getting power off the panels regardless. It's very overcast today and I'm seeing 5-6 amps on the monitor, so until I know for sure what those wires are for I'm leaving well enough alone for now. Thanks again.

Tags
solar