Old 10-10-2016, 12:16 AM   #11

I went out of state and saved $11,00.00. I can hire a lot of mobile techs for 11 grand if I have to. I bought my last one locally thinking I would need the local dealer for service. The service was terrible. I ended up fixing most of it my self...Buying locally doesn't always mean good service...I'll drive a little and save the dough..

Level up, dual panes & all that stuff...
GOTTOYS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 10:19 AM   #12

Xpressor, we spent several months working with two dealers locally after looking throughout the state of Texas. As we spent time negotiating both continued to reduce their price. So you might try to play couch against your local dealer. We hammered them a lot and got a great deal. As for service I have been able to perform all of my maintenance. Also on a couple of occasions I worked direct with CC and they sent me the parts. If you are able to perform maintenance you most likely will not need your dealer except for something critical.

Old 10-10-2016, 12:14 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttanous View Post
Xpressor, we spent several months working with two dealers locally after looking throughout the state of Texas. As we spent time negotiating both continued to reduce their price. So you might try to play couch against your local dealer. We hammered them a lot and got a great deal. As for service I have been able to perform all of my maintenance. Also on a couple of occasions I worked direct with CC and they sent me the parts. If you are able to perform maintenance you most likely will not need your dealer except for something critical.
Hi ttanous! Our closest CC dealer is 50 miles to the south in Salem, OR. Met a great sales person there by the name of Barry and we showed him the email from Couch's with their discount price. The trailer we had specced out at the time was $52k from Couch. After going back and forth a couple times, the best the local dealer could do for that trailer was $57,500. It will cost me approx $2k to drive out to Couch's in Ohio and bring back the trailer so that brings it up to $54k....still $3,500 less than local dealer. Not a huge difference I know and we do like the local dealer. But on the other hand the wife and I are kind of looking forward to making the trip out to Ohio and camping in the new trailer on the way back. It's a tough choice
2014 Denali 5th Wheel
Ordering a 2017 Cedar Creek Hathaway 34RL2
To My Wife: "Home is wherever I'm with you"
RJ Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 12:22 PM   #14

Good luck in your search. Understand the trip that is the fun part. Might continue the conversation with your local dealer sometimes we found they prefer to sell at a lower cost when they have a serious buyer. I bet there is some give in the 3500 if not all of it.
Old 10-10-2016, 12:49 PM   #15
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Depending on the time of year you come to OH, there are a couple nice campgrounds nearby to try it out and shake it down before you head back to OR. I've bought from Couch's and was treated good. I also live close enough that they are considered a local dealer.
2015 - 41
2016 - 81
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 01:19 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpresser View Post
Guess I never realized the the demand for RV's was high in the winter.

Yes there is a shop out here that is FR authorized...they are not a dealer. Heck even a mobile RV tech that lives near me says he does warranty work on most makes. Besides I would never do business with a dealer that said they would not work on a trailer that I didn't buy from them but I do understand some have the issue.
It's more than "some." It's more like "most."

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 01:39 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
It's more than "some." It's more like "most."

If it's "most" then what about those who buy local but then move to a different area/state and still need warranty work done? What about full timers, who many are traveling around the country, and need warranty work done far from their purchase place?
2014 Denali 5th Wheel
Ordering a 2017 Cedar Creek Hathaway 34RL2
To My Wife: "Home is wherever I'm with you"
RJ Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 01:49 PM   #18

We have been talking to Couch's for close to a year. The discount they offered (%) has remained consistent no matter the time of year I contacted them. I do believe RV manufacturers do a general price increase in January. I'd bet that was what they meant.
Old 10-10-2016, 02:24 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpresser View Post
So was chatting with a sales person at Couch's and told him we are going to order a Cedar Creek 34RL2 but will probably wait until spring of 2017. Our reason is that we are in Oregon and Couch's is 2400 miles away. We want to drive out there to pick it up and then bring it back, camping along the way to find the bugs that we need to write up and turn in for warranty work. We won't be able to make that trip until spring of next year. Anyhow when I told him that he said that now is the best time to order/buy because the prices go up in the winter time. When I asked him why he said, "because that is when all the RV shows are".

So...is this true or just another sales tactic to get me to buy now? When I told him that I can't make the trip out there until spring he stated they have free winter storage and I can order/pay for it now and then pick it up in the spring. Not sure if I'm too crazy about the idea of a trailer sitting for months in a dealers lot, while I make payments on it and not being able to use it. Plus the 1 year warranty clock ticking away as it sits there.

Any opinions? Thank you!
1. Yes prices are higher at shows as it costs so much money to put units in a show. Shows are usually put on by a for profit promoter, who makes big money...ie..you can always buy the same unit for less money at the dealers lot. In addition why buy a unit that 1000's of people have walked in and out of

2. Why would consider buying somewhere other than the dealer in your hometown? Who will you beg and plead with to get something fixed in the middle of next camping season? Surely not the dealer who you didn't buy it from.

3. Dealers as a rule don't make money on warranty work, so they really prefer that you buy from them if you expect them to work on it. The factories often don't re-imburse for all the time, parts, and engergy required to complete a warranty repair

4. Take the time to work with a local dealer....except for freight all dealers pay the same for a unit.
Old 10-10-2016, 02:44 PM   #20

A dealer I was dickering around with told me that the best prices were right before the show, not during it. Surprised me so I asked him why. His answer was that the dealer has to pay for space at the show and it is expensive. That cost comes off of the negotiating room. If you can buy what you want before the show, then you get the extra savings.

Is this true? I have no idea. But it does make sense to me.

ChipBruce is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
winter