Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-27-2016, 04:27 PM   #1

problem dry camping to fill fresh water 36 ckts

Well we bought our new to us 2011 36CKTS drove across Canada without a glitch had some nice places to camp all had water sewer power but now im home we like to dry camp and I ran out of fresh water, got a friends 50 gallon barrell that has a threaded tap on the bottom of barrell so you can screw your hose on to,great huh well not soCedar creek in their wisdom did not put a fill cap to gravity feed water to the fresh water tank, now thier may be some other way that im not aware of to fill it ,if i hook hose to the gravity feed or the city water its a no go there must be a check valve that needs to be forced open with pressure like say from city water or would i need to purchase a small elctric pump to put in line with my hose from barrell any suggestions and help would be much appreciated looking forward to all you knowledgeable peoples thoughts on this thank you for reading and helping out another Creeker
buckaroo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 04:49 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckaroo2 View Post
Well we bought our new to us 2011 36CKTS drove across Canada without a glitch had some nice places to camp all had water sewer power but now im home we like to dry camp and I ran out of fresh water, got a friends 50 gallon barrell that has a threaded tap on the bottom of barrell so you can screw your hose on to,great huh well not soCedar creek in their wisdom did not put a fill cap to gravity feed water to the fresh water tank, now thier may be some other way that im not aware of to fill it ,if i hook hose to the gravity feed or the city water its a no go there must be a check valve that needs to be forced open with pressure like say from city water or would i need to purchase a small elctric pump to put in line with my hose from barrell any suggestions and help would be much appreciated looking forward to all you knowledgeable peoples thoughts on this thank you for reading and helping out another Creeker
Just a poor mans idea, Find a cheap water pump for a TT that runs off of 12v. You then need to create the right hoses and find a battery that you can access with some removable wiring connectors. My buddy does this with his 5er when we dry camp.

Food for thought?
Wobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 08:48 PM   #3

I bought a 12 volt pump that's 5 gal a minute. Put on water hose thread and added a quick disconnect to my camper batt.
Then bought a 50 gal plastic container round with a hose connection., that I store in my camper underneath.
When I need water, throw the container in my truck, drive to the water source with water hose, fill her up, drive back, hook pump up to water inlet in camper, hook batt up with quick connect, turn pump on when container is empty or over flow flows water turn pump off all done. Neat and easy

2014 cedar creek 36ckts
2014 Chevy 3500 1 ton crew cab 4x4 long bed.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
cfiowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 09:19 PM   #4

Probably fill thru city connection or thru the winterizing system. Just leave open where it says to close and should go into the FW tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
arpipeliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 11:59 PM   #5

Harbor Freight has a cheap marine water pump that runs off of 12 volts DC.

It pumps up to 260 gallons per hour and uses only 5 amps/hour DC which is not a whole bunch. has 35 foot head but I've never tested it as I need about 3.5 feet head.

Its too much work to take the 7 gallon water containers out of my tall truck bed so I leave them in there and run about 30 feet of hose (5 foot section for pickup, and 25 feet output hose) Works perfectly.

12 Volt Marine Utility Water Pump

I have one and am very happy using it to pump water from 7 gallon jugs into my fresh water tank.

Several Power Source options to consider:
Portable rechargeable auto jump starter works just fine in a pinch.
Plug into tow vehicle tow plug
My generator has 8 amp/hour DC output
Plug into tow plug on back of my 5th wheel
Hardwire a convenient DC connection.

Before getting the pump, I was drawing water from my 7 gallon containers via the RV pump using the bypass that is normally for winterizing/antifreeze. I prefer filling the fresh water tank.
Skyliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 01:17 AM   #6

x2 on what TonyD does only I use 2 of the 10ft drinking water hoses from Walmart for $6.78 ea. and I remove the two7 gal jugs and one 5 gal jug from the bed of the truck and place them on the ground next to the docking station. I power it by my Yamaha 2k generator. Takes about 4 minutes to pump out the water. Been doing this for a year with no problems.

50 gal barrel would take up to much room for me.
wanderer69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 05:58 AM   #7

Here is what I use. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009MU64Y0..._nuJFxbWDH33Z2
Old 07-07-2016, 06:26 AM   #8

Just curious, what happens if you change over the valve that switches the pump from the potable tank to antifreeze fill and attach a hose to the af fill and run it to your water drum. Won't the lines fill and with the faucets shut off, won't the pump shut off and the net effect be like you had a secondary potable tank? Then you don't have to try and transfer the water into your potable tank.
jeff64 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping, dry camping, fresh water, water