Old 06-15-2012, 02:44 PM   #11
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
Originally Posted by crushor
Thanks guys. I do have 30's and auto regulator. Our maiden voyage is 9 days long so I should be able to get acclimated to the system.
My 30 lb tanks last me atleast a years worth of camping!
I fill them both when I put it away in the fall.

TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 04:36 PM   #12
Originally Posted by crushor View Post
Thanks guys. I do have 30's and auto regulator. Our maiden voyage is 9 days long so I should be able to get acclimated to the system.
You are getting the voices of experience in all the posts above. All of us "newbies" have posed similar concerns. I have learned to keep the water heater on electric and shut-off the propane w/h switch unless we are using the shower. And if hooked to shore power the refrig will be on electric as well. The normal cooking does not seem to draw that much. The furnace seems to be the biggest propane hog and that can be offset by using electric heaters if you have shore power. I follow the procedure that YouRoo described so I know when I have a tank go empty.

Just remember to refill the empty so the DW does not get a cold shower and you will be fine!

Rockwood Windjammer 3002W (11/10/2011)
2011 Sierra Denali HD - Duramax/Allison
EQ-4, 14,000/1,400
2006 Yukon Denali
Rebel702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 04:43 PM   #13
Site Team - Lou
Originally Posted by Len & Cheri View Post
X2 I don't trust myself to remember to check the automatic changeover.
Since there is almost no warning when the "one tank on" propane runs out; it can get VERY cold at 3 AM if you are running heat at night. (like we needed in Key West 2 years ago)

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 06:54 PM   #14
Mod free 5er
We've had twin 30's for the last 6 yrs and run everything on propane and seldom use 20# a yr. We use a EdenPure elec. htr in the winters we've spent in FL. 2 yrs ago it got a real workout and had to use the furnace one or two nights. We leave the wh an refrig. on gas & elec and use the RBQ just about every night.

We do like most and only turn on one tank at a time, but we've never run out. Usually fill the tank we've been using before we go to FL and turn on the other tank that is a year old.
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 08:21 PM   #15
Originally Posted by herk7769

Since there is almost no warning when the "one tank on" propane runs out; it can get VERY cold at 3 AM if you are running heat at night. (like we needed in Key West 2 years ago)
We went camping in Jan and it was the coldest nights we ever experienced camping. I think it got down to about 45F, lol. Anyway, we used a ceramic heater and the furnace didn't run much at all. If I was camping in truly cold weather I'd leave tanks on auto so I wouldn't experience what you described.
Len & Cheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 08:42 PM   #16
If both tanks are full a 30lb tank will last 6 to 7 days in cold weather running the furnace 24 hours a day plus water heater. In the summer we can usually go one month on a 30lb tank. We leave the water heater on all the time plus cooking.
Terry and Janet
2008 3001W Windjammer
2007 Ford F150
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 09:17 AM   #17
If you think through the physics, you'll agree that weighing is the most accurate way to determine what's left; albeit not the most convenient method.

Propane is a liquid that vaporizes into a gas when exposed to a sufficiently low pressure, such as atmospheric pressure. At a given temperature, the pressure produced by the liquid propane is a fixed value - regardless of the amount of liquid in the tank. This is called its 'vapor pressure'.

When the tank valve is closed, liquid propane evaporates until the pressure inside the tank equals the vapor pressure value (for a given temperature) at which point it stops evaporating When the valve is open and you're using fuel, the pressure inside the tank drops and liquid starts to evaporate.

For any liquid to evaporate, it must absorb heat (just like when you're boiling water). Propane absorbs heat from the environment making it colder than its surroundings (which is why the liquid part of the tank feels cool).

This is what leads to the weaknesses in the "gauges" available on the market today.
The 'pressure' gauge only changes meaningfully when the liquid is virtually gone.
The 'temperature' gauge only changes when the gas is being used, and at a rate fast enough to noticeably change the liquid temperature.

There's some good advice here, and it's what I use:
Have two tanks with the automatic switch showing when one tank has gone empty. If you can go at least one day on a single tank, then a daily check is sufficient to see if one's empty and you're now on 'reserve'.
Keith & Liz
2010 SilverBack 33L
2009 F-250
kablair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 03:26 PM   #18
I bought a luggage scale, electronic one. I weigh the bottles at the beginnings of long trips. I have a simple chart that is divided into 10% increments. on the ring on the top of the tank is a number with the letters tw. that # is the empty weight. you can get the full weight after a refill. divide the difference by 10. anyway, as other's have said, experience will dictate how long your propane will last. our two 30# tanks last almost a season of camping. mostly dry. we never use the shower, but use the heater a lot. and the fridge is nearly always on propane.

2000 Cherokee 29BH with 6V batteries, LED lights & 400 watts of solar power, flipped axles and raised. 2007 Tundra 5.7L DC-LB with lots of mods. C-co, 8/158th AVN Maint.
RPAspey is offline   Reply With Quote

led pad