Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-19-2015, 07:15 PM   #1

Rear cameras

Are the cameras that they are putting on the back of the new Cedar Creeks strictly back up? Or are they operational while driving also?
MURRAY5476 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 07:26 PM   #2

They will work but loose signal . Tried mine but found it was better to leave it off when on the road. I do use it when moving through campgrounds and tight areas.
wljjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 09:12 PM   #3

Mine don't get a signal at all. I need to jumper the power wire about 35 ft to see if it gets any signal while standing behind the rv.
Kodiak Disc Brakes
97flhtcui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 10:51 PM   #4
Jeffco, MO

I was looking at a new Silverback 33IK with the camera system installed. There appeared to be a small antenna on the outside of the living room slide (driver side). Salesman was not sure what it was. If it was an antenna for the wireless camera it would provide a better signal to the TV. Anyone else see this or have any comments?

Mary & Ted
2016 Silverback 33IK
2015 GMC Sierra 2500HD CrewCab Diesel/Super Glide Hitch
Days camped 09 -53, 10 -56, 11 -57, 12 - 55, 13 - 46, 14 - 50, 15 - 60, 16 -32
7 FROG Rallies (Goshen(4), Charleston, Amana(2))
tedstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 11:44 PM   #5
SnP

My Furrion camera will work backing up or going down the road, as long as my running lights are on. Furrion states that this camera doesn't have the strength to receive a signal while driving down the road. They say backup only. Some have added a wired antenna to increase the signal.

Tedstr - the small antenna on the side of the living room slide is the radio antenna.
Camped - 2014-47, 2015-104, 2016-100, 2017-161, 2018-94
SnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 12:01 AM   #6

The one on our 2014 Silverback is like a mirror and everything is backward. So you have to watch real close.
Silverback Iowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 07:15 AM   #7

I have delayed a camera purchase until I can evaluate comments from various posters.
Having both; back up and in motion are beneficial to me as we go through Atlanta almost every time we travel. Those speed demons come up and next to you so fast it's ridiculous! A camera view in motion would be money well spent😀
Please continue to post comments by brand and what is needed for continual signal stream.
On Atlanta highways, 90 mph is the NEW 65 😜. You can actually be cited for impeding traffic if you are going the speed limit and groups of others speed by. ( which is always).
SilverbackMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 07:33 AM   #8
Commercial Member

I represent ASA Electronics, the producer of the JENSEN brand of televisions, stereos, and speakers, Voyager brand of observation monitors and cameras and the Advent brand of appliances. At ASA, we strive to provide excellent customer service and product satisfaction and would like to offer some assistance.

Both our wired and wireless Voyager observation systems are designed to work full time, meaning both while driving down the road and during triggered modes (back-up, turn signals). For wireless systems, some trailers may need to extend the wireless antenna forward for improved reception while in-motion due to the roof height, slope and distance to the in-cab monitor. This can be done easily with an optional antenna extension we have available.

If you need further assistance, please call our Technical Services dept at 877-845-8750 M-F 8:00AM to 6:00PM EDT and they will be happy to answer any specific questions you may have.

jensenrvdirect
JENSENRVDirect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 07:49 AM   #9
Site Team

I believe the main reason manufacturers do not setup their cameras to be on while driving is the same reason GPS manufacturers have included a display off while moving option as some states do not allow video displays that are visible to the driver while driving. This may change as it is difficult to buy a vehicle today that does not have a display built in. Most of the camera systems activate the camera via the backup lights and offer a simple solution to have it operate full time.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 09:01 AM   #10

I have the camera on my 2015 Cedar Creek 36CKTS. It works when I turn TV my lights on. Turn lights off camera goes off. It is wired into the marker lights on mine

The picture is intermittent. Freezes , goes away then comes back. Not reliable enough for me to use. Good thing it wasn't an expensive option.

2015 CC 36CKTS
2011 Ford F-250
2003 Harley Ultra Classic

2016 Ford F350 DRW
2016 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic Low
rick03hd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 10:28 AM   #11

I have had a back-up system ever since we got back into camping in 2007 with our first 5er. My system is called my wife; she get's out of the truck and guides me in when backing. No voice commands just hand signals to me this is way better than a tiny tiny camera lens trying to see the entire rear area of the camper. And I do not need to be distracted going down the highway trying to see another video device; the GPS is enough
Old 03-21-2015, 06:09 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedstr View Post
I was looking at a new Silverback 33IK with the camera system installed. There appeared to be a small antenna on the outside of the living room slide (driver side). Salesman was not sure what it was. If it was an antenna for the wireless camera it would provide a better signal to the TV. Anyone else see this or have any comments?
tedstr, I believe the antenna that you see on the slide out is for the AM/FM radio. I have a Cedar Creek Silverback 33IK. The Furrion owner's manual says that the FRC12TA-BL has a range of 100 feet. Well my receiver is well within the range of the camera, maybe 45 feet away at most. Most of the time I do not get a signal or weak signal icon. And the up and down movement will not work at all. The only thing I can see when the camera does come on, is the rear bumper of the RV. I am looking at the extension cable and antenna. http://www.rvcams.com/p/WVOSANTEXT.html
Other than the Furrion backup camera we like the 33IK.
Gene85222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 11:35 AM   #13
Mddle of the Rd Extremist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JENSENRVDirect View Post
I represent ASA Electronics, the producer of the JENSEN brand of televisions, stereos, and speakers, Voyager brand of observation monitors and cameras and the Advent brand of appliances. At ASA, we strive to provide excellent customer service and product satisfaction and would like to offer some assistance.

Both our wired and wireless Voyager observation systems are designed to work full time, meaning both while driving down the road and during triggered modes (back-up, turn signals). For wireless systems, some trailers may need to extend the wireless antenna forward for improved reception while in-motion due to the roof height, slope and distance to the in-cab monitor. This can be done easily with an optional antenna extension we have available.

If you need further assistance, please call our Technical Services dept at 877-845-8750 M-F 8:00AM to 6:00PM EDT and they will be happy to answer any specific questions you may have.
Installed the wireless Voyager system on our Cedar Creek 38FL. It works nearly flawlessly whether sitting still or moving. The reason I say "nearly" is that there is the occasional one or two second "freeze".I wired it to grab power from the rear center clearance light so it works whenever I have the lights on, which is always when we're on the road...... It is great as a rear view mirror to see that guy that's tucked in behind the rig and for lane changes
2014 Cedar Creek 38FL
2013 RAM 3500 6.7L diesel DRW Crew Cab
"When you get to the fork in the road, take it....."
MeepMeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 12:05 PM   #14

I am just waiting for this system to arrive at a local distributor in Calgary. This link will also get you to theUS web site. For just over $440 (Cdn) it is a good deal for me. For you guys in the US it is about $350 which is much cheaper than the Voyager system available at CW.

RVS-CW-CAM | Wireless Quad Camera System with Cigarette Lighter Adaptor | Rear View Safety

Richard & Diane
2014 Cedar Creek 38FL
2016 F350 Lariat CC DRW
Retired Metropolitan Police (UK)
Hutch333id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 07:08 PM   #15

I have been hearing a lot of problems with the new Furrion systems and not many problems with the Voyager (Jensen) systems. We had a Voyager on our last rig for 10+ years without any problems. Will be adding a Voyager to this rig in the next year or so depending on the finance committee approval.

The key is placement of the antenna (used to be a separate module) using their new antenna option due to the length of some of our rigs.

W
2017 Days Planned: 135

38FLCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 08:10 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by JENSENRVDirect View Post

Thank you very much for this information. If we need any assistance when we pick up our new Cedar Creek in about 9 weeks we will be sure to call!!
MURRAY5476 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 08:46 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverbackMel View Post
I have delayed a camera purchase until I can evaluate comments from various posters.
Having both; back up and in motion are beneficial to me as we go through Atlanta almost every time we travel. Those speed demons come up and next to you so fast it's ridiculous! A camera view in motion would be money well spent��
Please continue to post comments by brand and what is needed for continual signal stream.
On Atlanta highways, 90 mph is the NEW 65 ��. You can actually be cited for impeding traffic if you are going the speed limit and groups of others speed by. ( which is always).
Ever tried Atlanta at 3am? traffics lighter but it's like the Autobahn. I won't tow through Atlanta. I ordered a new trailer. The dealer is on the north side and I'm on the south side. Part of the deal is he has to come get my trade. Those people give no quarter. A camera would definitely help.
2018 F250 Lariat (ok but I miss my F150)

Getting old ain't for wimps!!!
Stormrider151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 12:40 PM   #18

My Furion is hooked up to the running lights circuit. No problem with reception on my 31RK. It is very useful for backing and parking but running down the road just gives you a view of a small area behind the trailer - the down angle and wide angle lens are not helpful as a substitute rear view mirror.
Brentf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 12:48 PM   #19
Blog: RVroadtripper.com

I have the Furrion on my 2016 Wildcat and it works full time with caveats. As a pseudo-rear view mirror when traveling, the images are too slow and sometime freeze. I understand this is correctable if I add a remote antennae mounted near the front of the 5er roof. The image being reversed or not is a correctable setting just check the menu.

Lastly, the Furrion supports 2 cameras. A second camera is available from Furrion for $75. I put the second camera in the back of the cab so I can see when hooking up. On a long pull, I place the second camera in the window at the back of the 5er. I've learned the high mounted camera #1 is really pointed more and the immediate ground behind the trailer which is great for backing up but not so good if you want to use it as a pseudo rear-view mirror (angle is too steep downward). By placing my second camera in the trailer back window, I can adjust the angle to give me an image that more like what you would see in a rear-view mirror.
Maxxis 235/80/16E; AirBags w/AirLift1; mor/Ryde Rubber Pinbox; Andersen UltimateII Alum. 5erhitch on Reese Flipball w/Curt 4" offset; LCI Ground Control3; King Dishtailgater; Traveling with 10' Portabote;
hbillsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 03:26 PM   #20

I've used a wired rear view camera for several years. Got mine at "RV Cams.com". Tim is the owner and good for any questions you have. I double tow a squirt boat and like to be able to keep an eye on it while traveling, so it stays on once powered up. I took the camera off my SOB when I traded for my new Silverback, so I didn't mess with the optional camera offered. I tried wireless, but had intermittent luck as others have mentioned. Wired takes a bit more on the install, but once done ... no issues and no additional antennas to mount. I can toggle to reverse image so my view is what I would see if I could look over my fiver.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote