Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-03-2015, 10:01 AM   #1

Rear cap on Montana

I looked at some Montana's today and on the new campers Montana had took off the rear cap, I wonder why.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 05:10 PM   #2

My "guess" is: inferior cap product by vendor resulting in excessive re paint after sale as a result of oxidation fade.

Cedar Creek has a similar issue on front and rear caps. Silverback on front cap only. Mine was re done under warranty at 9 months old from
BUILD and it was built and delivered in WINTER when sun was the least factor.
SilverbackMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 05:28 AM   #3

You can still get the rear cap on Montana if you pay for a $8000
Upgrade
MURRAY5476 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 09:24 AM   #4

Apparently this is a trend from the executive that departed Keystone and started his own RV company. His rv's don't have a rear cap and the statement is that they have less maintenance. I believe the reason that Keystone started this was to be competitive with an ex executive that is doing well in selling RV's with what folks want. Before purchasing our CC we seriously looked at Montana since we had one before but the quality just was not there.

Tom & Marilyn
2013 Chevrolet Duramax 3500 HD LTZ Crew Cab Long Bed Z71 4X4
2015 Cedar Creek 38RD Hathaway Edition
ttanous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 10:49 AM   #5

Ex Keystone Execs

That be: Grand Design.

Love their new Den model. Allows guests or kids their own separate room and bath, while owners area has a tv and fireplace with stadium seating recliners for 2 without needing to look over kitchen counters. Master is std.

Too big and heavy for us. Nice though!!
SilverbackMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 01:07 PM   #6

Coming from a KEYSTONE product I will never buy another product from them. The most important reason is lack of customer communication; there is none.

I am of the opinion that Keystone is trying to maximize their profits at the expensive of good to above average unit.

We were looking at several different 5th wheel units last winter (2014-2015) before we bought the CC 34RL unit. What sold me on the Forest River units was the communication from them. I contacted the customer support and asked a couple of question before buying to several different manufactures. Forest River and Northwood's Manufacturing were the first to respond to my questions with Keystone not saying anything. The only problem with Northwood was dealer location for me was the closest ones were in the middle of MN about 360 miles away.
Old 07-05-2015, 08:46 PM   #7

I think that Keystone cheapened the Montana in order to be able to sell them at a cheaper price. We had a Keystone Apine. Had serious problems with it from day one. Bought our Cedar Creek 38rd this summer. A few minor problems, but no major problems so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
MURRAY5476 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 09:04 AM   #8

Being an ex 3 time Montana owner since 2000 ... Keystone discontinued the Montana Mountaineer and the "plain" Montana with the flat rear with no moulded cap and less eye candy took it's place. Like said ... if you want what "used" to be a Montana ... you have to upgrade to the Legacy Package. $$$ I will say the 2016 Silverback I now have pulls much better than any Montana I ever owned... it just has sooooooooo many quality of build issues that I seriously question my move to Forest River products. On my latest outing over the 4th ... the circuit board on the back of one of the many LED ceiling lights got so hot , it cooked the insuation off the power wires incorrectly wadded on top of the board and shorted out that bank of ceiling lights along wih the 12V A/C controls. The list of build quality issues is too lengthy and would hijack this thread.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote