Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-07-2016, 04:02 PM   #21
Double Dutch

Check Intake and Exhaust on Dometic

The refrigerator should not have issues on propane only; it may be overheating and you may need to have someone from FR or Dometic check the air flow. We fortunately had some friends at the Rally this year with a similar issue - replaced fans, etc. and Dometic reviewed and discovered that FR build cut the exhaust hole too large. The fix was to limit the size of the exhaust to allow the refrigerator to correctly 'breath' and get rid of the hot air.

We had funny noises coming from ours and I was able to apply the same fix (using some on-hand hardboard) and now the refrigerator works correctly and cools correctly and evenly so much that we needed to turn it down.

Just some thoughts as to why yours is shutting down. The propane should not be the issue (from an old propane guy) as the amounts of propane usage should not freeze the regulator unless you are trying to heat a building that is 20 times larger than what you have for just your furnace to take that much propane and in a -20 degree temperature. You only need 11.5 oz of pressure to maintain flame and you should have in excess of 50 lb of pressure at the tank.

I don't know where you are at - but the best solution is going to be a 'reputable' dealer if you can find one that knows propane cooling. (You may need to seek out propane sales vs RV sales.)
84 Days 2016
50+ Days 2017
Not enough 2018
DoubleDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 09:43 PM   #22

Thanks Double Dutch,
I sent an email to Dometic and they told me to check the fan in the back. I did and didn't find any fan (maybe I looked at the wrong place). Anyway, they sent me a second email saying: "If you don't have a fan, you need to add one"
WHAT???? I NEED TO ADD ONE??? That's what I told them.
I'm waiting for a future email
Hman0109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 06:20 AM   #23
wls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hman0109 View Post
Thanks Double Dutch,
I sent an email to Dometic and they told me to check the fan in the back. I did and didn't find any fan (maybe I looked at the wrong place). Anyway, they sent me a second email saying: "If you don't have a fan, you need to add one"
WHAT???? I NEED TO ADD ONE??? That's what I told them.
I'm waiting for a future email
my brother has a dometic in his Mobile Suites, and I think they had to do something, as far as a fan, located on the top part of the Refrigerator. Don't quote me on this though.
2008 Dodge 3500 Dually, Cummins. Amsoil Bypass Oil Filter, 36 Gal aux fuel tank. Mag Hytec Trans pan. Mag Hytec Diff Pan. 6 speed autostick. 3:73, Timbrens, Smarty JR. Equipped.
2016 Cedar Creek 38FB2, Hydra Star disc brakes,
400 watt Rich solar on top,200 watts of suitcase
wls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 07:46 PM   #24
Site Team

To see the fan if it has one, you need to look down from the top or up from the bottom. It's in the enclosed space behind the fridge.
Old 09-10-2016, 10:06 AM   #25

I found a mod on the forums to put two 120mm 1200 rpm fans at the top of the fridge compartment by the upper plastic cover. I spliced them into the existing tiny fan wires and threw the tiny fan away. That mod keeps my fridge below 40 in the Florida sun!!
Macallan 12
Grumpy64 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
refrigerator