Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-22-2016, 09:50 AM   #1

Relocating 12v Converter to accessible location

Has anyone relocated their existing converter from under the bathroom floor closer to the batteries. I was looking at our new trailer and saw this under the floor. I guess it was located near the back of the power distribution center. Looks like increase cable size and relocate it where it's easier to get at.
karpcbk15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 08:05 PM   #2

Most are located right behind the power/breaker panel as is mine. I didn't really relocate it, I replaced it because I had a bigger unit on hand and it had a neat remote/monitor display. The larger unit runs cooler and seldom needs to run its cooling fans so it's quieter. Air circulation is more important and being in the cold air return path to the furnace is best. It requires no service so where it's located is irrelevant. IMO
Sterlingsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 08:03 AM   #3

I'm with William on this one ... I've owned 4 SOB's and now my Silverback. They all have had the converter/power distribution box as a unit about 10' away from the battery(s). The converter isn't servicable other than the reverse polarity fuses, so I don't see where it sits as an issue. If you want to put bigger wire from it to the batttery(s) ... it would be a fairly easy mod. We've never had an issue with the OEM setup not recharging them.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat, converter, location